pre serial 20" Paiste 602 med. ride

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well dangit Benny. I have one for sale on here. Wish I'd seen this earlier. If you need another....
:icon_lol:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one of the reissue 602 20" medium rides,,,, I wouldn't use it for every gig but for the right gigs its brilliant,,,,I'll be keeping mine, a great option to have in the cymbal bag.
Lots of folks reckon the reissue is every bit as good as the vintage ones,,, cant confirm this personally,,, any one else ?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cymbal sounds excellent, and the phone picked up your kit very well. Sounds great!
That isn't by the Keemah boardwalk, S of Houston, is it?

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I have one of the reissue 602 20" medium rides,,,, I wouldn't use it for every gig but for the right gigs its brilliant,,,,I'll be keeping mine, a great option to have in the cymbal bag.
Lots of folks reckon the reissue is every bit as good as the vintage ones,,, cant confirm this personally,,, any one else ?
I've got a bunch of vintage ones, and the modern one I owned (24" MEDIUM RIDE 4000g) and others I've played fit in just fine. I only sold that one because a vintage 3205g 24" showed up and kicked the heavy one off the stand - I don't need that kind of volume in my dining-room-playing-for-my-dogs gigs.

Sonically, I've played vintage examples that sounded more different from each other than from these modern ones. While I'd love to see some weirder sizes & weights, these are worthy of being considered a "continuation" as opposed to a "reissue".

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. I wasn't even close. It looks like you're playing in front of a giant palm tree.
I was up in that neck of the woods this past weekend.
Anyway, I can't get over how nice your kit sounds. Killer vocals as well.
What do you have set up? (besides the 602)

REF

Reaction score
I have always read so much about 602's. Last year I picked up a 22" ride in excellent condition on ebay for around $200. Had the grams I was looking for. I don't know. It had nothing special any other B20 medium ride doesn't have. It was just kind of boring. I relathed the underside 5" towards the edge and turned it into a crash-ride. Sounds pretty cool now. Very explosive but, not the typical gongy sound rides can give.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I have always read so much about 602's. Last year I picked up a 22" ride in excellent condition on ebay for around $200. Had the grams I was looking for. I don't know. It had nothing special any other B20 medium ride doesn't have. It was just kind of boring. I relathed the underside 5" towards the edge and turned it into a crash-ride. Sounds pretty cool now. Very explosive but, not the typical gongy sound rides can give.
That sounds cool.

Any pics of the lathing?

REF

Reaction score
That sounds cool.

Any pics of the lathing?
If the pics list as I seem them in my window the first is the 602 underside with a flash, the second, natural light. Because I don't use a typical cymbal lathe with backer I have to be more careful with my bits (which I just hold by hand, btw). As you can see by the coloration I took more off in the last 4 outer inches. I tend to get "chattering" without backer material, which you can see in the final 1". I don't mind it at all. The entire surface had material removed. Then I concentrated on those 4-5", then that last 1."

The third picture is of a UFIP Class xtra light ride, which I also wanted to be more crash ride-like. What you see in that pic is what I call a basket weave pattern. When I take off the grams I want and am satisfied with the sound, I take my bit and just go back and forth at random.

The fourth picture is of a reworked Sabian SR. If you have seen them they have a very distinct surface. The cymbal was fairly dry and lifeless to me. You never know what you get with those models. I just lathed it to a typical lathing pattern. It's a really nice Jazz ride now, at least, to my ears.

I've been doing this for years. It has its drawbacks but, thankfully I usually have more success than failure.

If I had a real lathe and backing material you'd never get me out of the shop, experimenting. :)

Attachments

Gunnellett

Reaction score
If the pics list as I seem them in my window the first is the 602 underside with a flash, the second, natural light. Because I don't use a typical cymbal lathe with backer I have to be more careful with my bits (which I just hold by hand, btw). As you can see by the coloration I took more off in the last 4 outer inches. I tend to get "chattering" without backer material, which you can see in the final 1". I don't mind it at all. The entire surface had material removed. Then I concentrated on those 4-5", then that last 1."

The third picture is of a UFIP Class xtra light ride, which I also wanted to be more crash ride-like. What you see in that pic is what I call a basket weave pattern. When I take off the grams I want and am satisfied with the sound, I take my bit and just go back and forth at random.

The fourth picture is of a reworked Sabian SR. If you have seen them they have a very distinct surface. The cymbal was fairly dry and lifeless to me. You never know what you get with those models. I just lathed it to a typical lathing pattern. It's a really nice Jazz ride now, at least, to my ears.

I've been doing this for years. It has its drawbacks but, thankfully I usually have more success than failure.

If I had a real lathe and backing material you'd never get me out of the shop, experimenting. :)
Cool! Nice work and thanks for sharing!

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
Benny I own a reissue 20" medium Ride.. It's all I ever use.. The 21" 2oo2 Ride ( original NTO "big beat" ) still gets a whirl rho sometimes..
602 is my dream Ride!¡
Gery

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had an old 22 that seemed on the heavier side. It rang out forever. Didn’t like it. I imagine there are others that I’d like. Guess there was some variation among the vintage ones.