Precision Drum

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another service they provide. If you need a drum for a missing peice of the set they will fabricate for you close to original specs.
if I Send them Gretsch RB shells and ask them to also recut the bearing edges, can they cut them the EXACT same angle, etc, that Gretsch did in the 1960s?
They are round badge experts

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
ok, guys...thanks for all the help. I have just emailed Precision with a list of what I would like done.
Besides filling the post mount holes I drilled on the bass drum in 1977, I've asked them to rewrap the bass and floor tom in BDP (provided by me) and recut all bearing edges. I've asked for an approximate price. Lets see what they say. This will be the last drum restore job I ever do on this set as I will turn 62 this year and will playing in clubs only occasionally now. So, I think I should get it done right.

Sending out this job to Precision (assuming its not like $700 or something like that) also gives me the opportunity to start and finish the restore on my 1956 Sonor Melodie thats been sitting in storage for years waiting for me to get to it. The day I send the drums off to Precision, I think I will drag the Sonor out and start doing inventory. Thats going to be an "as is" restoration, I am not going to spend much money on it. Its the extreme rarity of the set that is the selling point here. The set was sent from Germany to the USA by a drummer who worked all the hot German beat clubs in the early 60s. Who knows...this drum set may have played The Kaiserkeller along with The Beatles!

Last edited:

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are a great small company and have been in town for years. My mom lives right down the street as does my best friend. I've had them do a number of repairs over the years. Same location too not far off the Taconic Parkway in Pleasant Valley NY on RT 44.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried emailing them a couple times last year about drilling some holes for me. They never responded back at all, so I just did it myself.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah covid makes sense. That’s got to be what it was considering all the great reviews on here. I was surprised I never heard back. Too late now lol.

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, I heard from precision this morning, that was quick! Prices quoted were a bit higher than I expected, BUT were fair for the work involved. So I'm very close to having them do the work,.....I do have every confidence that it will be done right, and I like the thought of giving a small business my business. Its down to "At age 62 is it worth me restoring the set, or should I just play it as is?"

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good place to eat in town 2 miles away if you have a simple job for them. Leave the work to be done, have a meal and on your way. Very nice accommodating company.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I heard from precision this morning, that was quick! Prices quoted were a bit higher than I expected, BUT were fair for the work involved. So I'm very close to having them do the work,.....I do have every confidence that it will be done right, and I like the thought of giving a small business my business. Its down to "At age 62 is it worth me restoring the set, or should I just play it as is?"
After 49 yrs of owning and playing my Ludwig kit I had them do the edges I was 63! The only reason I never did them was I was afraid I would devalue them. Mind you I rewrapped them almost 20 yrs ago lol. No regrets . should’ve done it long time ago.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good place to eat in town 2 miles away if you have a simple job for them. Leave the work to be done, have a meal and on your way. Very nice accommodating company.
There’s a town ? I was afraid I was going to get lost up there and go missing . ( enter banjo’s in the backround)

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Restore it and either sell it years from now or will it to a family member.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s a town ? I was afraid I was going to get lost up there and go missing . ( enter banjo’s in the backround)
It’s Westchester county and the only thing you have to be afraid of are the Soccer moms on their cell phones in the $65,000 Volvo wagons on their way to Scarsdale.
( enter Barbara Streisand music )

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s Westchester county and the only thing you have to be afraid of are the Soccer moms on their cell phones in the $65,000 Volvo wagons on their way to Scarsdale.
( enter Barbara Streisand music )
Dutchess County to be exact north of Poughkeepsie qualifies for upstate!
Actually nothing like Westchester which is about 15 min from me

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dutchess County to be exact north of Poughkeepsie qualifies for upstate!
Actually nothing like Westchester which is about 15 min from me
You are of course correct. I got confused by my own imagination.
I did like the soccer moms in Volvos part tho.