Preferred floor tom to bass drum conversion kit...

markkarj

Reaction score
What floor tom to bass drum conversion kit do you prefer? While I've been using the DW cradle, it seems overbuilt and a bit of a pain in the butt.

The easiest for me would be the Pearl jungle kit conversion. Although it uses an ISS/IMS mount, and I'd hate for it to bend the hoop of my drum (Yamaha Live Custom 16").

Trick has an interesting one, but it would probably be $200 CAD or more with shipping factored in.

There is a Gibraltar conversion pack, but I don't need the rail mount it comes with.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 16" wood hoops, claws and Ts (or key rods), two Lp388 CB holders out front for spurs.
If........ the 16X16 you are contemplating will accept BD rods- if...... the 16" FT lugs (height) are the same as the brands.. BD lug.
It's once and done. (It's called the "Cocktail Supreme")..or ("Load in/out Express")

Attachments

Last edited:

feelyat

Reaction score
I used the Pearl jungle one, but went with a simple shell-mounted Tom bracket to hold the adapter, so it's a permanent conversion.

jungle-black-1.jpg

If you're OK with that, or you're willing to deal with the ISS mount, the Pearl one is great.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used the Pearl jungle one, but went with a simple shell-mounted Tom bracket to hold the adapter, so it's a permanent conversion.

View attachment 493279
If you're OK with that, or you're willing to deal with the ISS mount, the Pearl one is great.
Mine is very similar but I use the Dixon Riser rather than drilling holes. For legs I use "L" rods with Pearl Feet. Works great but top heavy when mounting a tom on top. Thinking of using an ATLAS style lug mount for the legs.

sherm

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an Oktoberfest band that did one month before Covid hit. I loved using a 16" converted floortom to bass drum. Used a dixon riser and pearl legs/claws. Not sure if I'll use it again next Oktober, but it was fun.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I like the Pearl kit. It's easy to use and packs up small. I also like that the height is adjustable.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
18x20 floor tom. omg NO ! not the rare 18x20 floor tom ! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! I have 7 of them. Stay away !

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 16" wood hoops, claws and Ts (or key rods), two Lp388 CB holders out front for spurs.
If........ the 16X16 you are contemplating will accept BD rods- if...... the 16" FT lugs (height) are the same as the brands.. BD lug.
It's once and done. (It's called the "Cocktail Supreme")..or ("Load in/out Express")
The man, the legend!!

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely thread. I just ordered the Pearl Jungle adaptor kit. I have some extra ISS adaptors and will use this on an 18 x 16 black Yamaha 5000 floor tom in order to make a bop set with black 10" and 14" Pearl Masters toms which I picked up at The Trading Musician in the Seattle U District.

markkarj

Reaction score
Thanks for the timely thread. I just ordered the Pearl Jungle adaptor kit. I have some extra ISS adaptors and will use this on an 18 x 16 black Yamaha 5000 floor tom in order to make a bop set with black 10" and 14" Pearl Masters toms which I picked up at The Trading Musician in the Seattle U District.
I'm going with the Pearl Jungle adapter kit, but I'll use an Optimount rather than the ISS (would work with a 16", but not with an 18").

I contacted Pearl, and their feedback/advice was very timely and super helpful.