Preferred hardware for mounting a ride on the bass drum

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Hey folks, I know this has been covered before but I'm hoping for some up to date information. I'd like to mount a ride cymbal on my bass drums (I have Sonor and Ludwig) without having to drill any new holes. The Atlas system looks like the way to go, but wondering if anyone has had success with that or other hardware before making a commitment.

Cymbal would go up to a thin 22", and I'm not going to be doing any crazy smashing on it, but I would like to be able to lay into the cymbal a bit if I want to. Anyone have a gear recommendation?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use the Inde bracket and any vintage or new L arm. IMO the Inde is worlds better designed than the Atlas... though they were designed by the same person.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have a few bass drums with a mounted bracket - few 20" Gretsch RB's, a 16" SSB and a 14" Gretsch SSB. All but the 14" have the vintage Gretsch diamond plate (requires 2 screws in the shell). I don't know the hole size for the L-arm for the Atlas or Inde systems, but the only L-arms I have are Gretsch retro L-arms. They work great and hold a 22 easily - for jazz, rock, pop, etc. Unless you are going to go crazy, at least this is a good L-arm....like $40 new. I want to say its 9mm or 10mm. The 14" has a Tech 80's Gretsch mount and the hole is bigger so I had to add tape and shrink wrap to thicken the insertable side of the L-arm.....

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
INDe already has an awesome no drill mount, a cool tilter clamp and lightweight hardware rods available now. A cymbal attachment is coming really soon, so I would definitely wait a few days before making your final decision.

Check out the picture of the prototype here: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/j...ew-tom-mount-no-drill-and-drill.172397/page-2
Very cool! So the lug mount is out already, and the cymbal arm that fits into it will be released shortly? But it looks like some cymbal arms fit it already.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool! So the lug mount is out already, and the cymbal arm that fits into it will be released shortly? But it looks like some cymbal arms fit it already.
The "arm" part is just a combination of currently available very compact clamps and aluminum rods, along with the forthcoming cymbal attachment, so I would expect it will be lighter than any other arm you could buy, which is really nice for gigging.

I use the BR3 no drill brackets on one of my kits, and I've been very pleased with its tiny footprint and sound benefits. I plan on getting a cymbal attachment and several aluminum floor tom legs from INDe very soon!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A few years back, I got a "claw hook accessory clamp" from dw and a Gibraltar cymbal L-arm that came with a drill bracket I didn'use. Worked well on a small stage. I prefer cymbal stands these days.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I regularly fly a 22" ride from a section of boom stand dropped into the BD tom mount hole.

tomo221

Reaction score
If it were me and I didn't want to drill any holes, I'd probably get:

Two INDe BR3 brackets
One Ludwig Atlas rod (whatever length you need based on kick depth)
One Ludwig LAC251CH arm