Preinternational Floor tom to bass conversion

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Hi ,
I have an old Olympic 16" shell I'd like to convert to a bass drum. However, it is preinternational sized (actual diameter 16-5/16 "). I assume it will not be possible to get wooden hoops to fit this ? Does anyone know of any ? I have one triple flanged hoop to fit it , so I guess I could get another and use those, but I'd much rather have actual wood hoops. Perhaps I'm better off just getting a different shell ? By the time I get the hoops and special order heads, this could get kind of expensive.

Bill

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would be more worried about the availability of bass drum heads for it.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aren't bass drum heads slightly oversized anyway??? I'm assuming a 16" bass drum head along with 16" wood bass drum hoops should work.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Aren't bass drum heads slightly oversized anyway??? I'm assuming a 16" bass drum head along with 16" wood bass drum hoops should work.
No. They have a wider hoop than tom heads but are normal dimension on the inside of the hoop. I just measured a 16" SuperKick I and it is right at 16 1/16" so it will only fit on a 16" shell

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Premier made their own mylar heads and calf heads. Remo makes heads to fit the, "pre international" size as they call them, Premier shells but I would be surprised if they make a 16" bass drum head for pre international size shells. They do make standard 16" bass drum heads for marchers so they may be able to make some custom order for an old Premier but they may not make anything like a PS3 or other muffled type bass drum head.

I think Premier went to the "international" size around '68 and Premier drums don't command a high price so if it were me, I would just pick up an international size floor tom or even just a shell and mount the hardware from the existing drum on it and call it a day. Then you could have a much greater selection of heads to choose from and easily pickup some 16" wood hoops.

Last edited:

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ... yes it would be a problem getting the bass heads in the correct size, so I think I will be looking for a different shell . Also I have potential buyer for the shell who I think wants to make bodhrans out of it.

ToBBa

Reaction score
You can get pinstripe and amb heads for pre-int pretty easily. Every remo deler can order them.
The product number is the same as the regular sized head only with -PR at the end of the Prod number.