Premier 2000 snare - what a sound!

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
My very first “real” snaredrum back when I started was a Premier 2000 model. In my memory it was a great drum. Today a drum just like it kinda fell in my lap. It’s an aluminium shell, 70’s model, 8 lugs. Original wires in great shape. I cleaned it up, inspected it and everything was smooth and functional, greased some parts and rods, put fresh heads on it and wailed away. Wow, what a drum! It puts all the 5” Supras and Acros to shame (IMO). Probably the best Aluminium shelled snare I have played so far. And the snare sensitivity; simply wow!

Any 2000 players here?

E69DFA15-FB4D-469C-B709-38F6FF813488.jpeg

Last edited:

ToBBa

Reaction score
Hey, don't tell any one how Great they are
We need to keep the prices low so that thows of us in the know can get our stuff for next to nothing.

jokes aside, They are really Great drums as long as the mechanism is dialed inn properly. Those hoops are fantastic as well, real rounded tight rim shots.
I have two 6.5'' Steel and one 5,5'' alu like yours.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a "what's your favorite snare" thread going on and it's kind of long and I just perused it a little but these are the kinds of snares that get my attention. Older, metal ones - especially the deeper variety, I just love that sound. In part why I'm really attracted to Oriollo drums also.

I'd snag one of these up in a heartbeat.

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a "what's your favorite snare" thread going on and it's kind of long and I just perused it a little but these are the kinds of snares that get my attention. Older, metal ones - especially the deeper variety, I just love that sound. In part why I'm really attracted to Oriollo drums also.

I'd snag one of these up in a heartbeat.
Normally I don’t favour snaredrums shallower than 6”-6.5”, especially metal so this one is a surprise. So very snappy and a super fat body.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yes..
And the only thing I ever did with/to it, and can't recall if it needed it.. was to put serrated washers..under the top tension rods. Didn't budge never budged just a safety precaution : )
it's English beauty.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My very first “real” snaredrum back when I started was a Premier 2000 model. In my memory it was a great drum. Today a drum just like it kinda fell in my lap. It’s an aluminium shell, 70’s model, 8 lugs. Original wires in great shape. I cleaned it up, inspected it and everything was smooth and functional, greased some parts and rods, put fresh heads on it and wailed away. Wow, what a drum! It puts all the 5” Supras and Acros to shame (IMO). Probably the best Aluminium shelled snare I have played so far. And the snare sensitivity; simply wow!

Any 2000 players here?

View attachment 484697
Vintage Premier = Top notch, among vintage drums.

I have a 70’s Premier 2000 snare in 100% original condition, no chrome flaking or pitting. Another 14”x4” Piccolo from the same era, also in pristine condition and all original.
And I have a wood 2000 which is called Premier 2001 snare in black which is matching to my Premier kit.
3 of my favorite snares, they sound gorgeous and they are even more gorgeous to look at!

don’t need any other snare, only one 5” Supra because my fav drummers played one and it is inspirational to me! That’s all.

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I want sell my 2000.

I have loved it for years, but I have a 2003, 2001, 2084 and a COB Royal Ace piccolo.

Will put up a sale post later today

Reactions: JDA

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These in my experience are not unlike Supra's in that all are not equal to each other. I have had multiple 2000's/Supra's and they didn't all sound or feel the same. My buddy in high school had one of these and it sounded & played like you described. It put my Supra to shame in every way. The great snares I've had over the years were few but the 2000 I had wasn't one of them. It sounded good. It played fine. It just didn't have whatever that "thing" is that makes it a keeper.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Such a hugely underrated snare. I've owned four, kept the best of the bunch. It's on my snare stand currently (and is quite often). It's a 70's COA, all original (except heads). They're quite affordable as well (out in these parts). All of mine have been under $100, with the cheapest being $20. It's just a joy to play, love the muffler (my favourite, it stays put), etc. I also love those Premier die cast hoops, the lower profile, a perfect balance of triple flange and generic DC's. It's my favourite COA snare - by far.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh I will, can’t stop playing it. Just can’t get over how good it is. It’s really a surprise since I’m a guy that really dislikes the 5” Acro’s and Supra’s. This is a totally different beast.
I like my 64' Acro, but my 2000 kills it. Yes, apples and oranges, but if we're comparing 14x5, 8 lug, aluminum, vintage snares.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I bought one in the mid 70's and played it out a lot for 25 yrs. I played it with my Ludwig Maple cortex 24-13-14-16-18. Rock and roll!! Funny thing, I bought it because I loved Keith Moon's snare sound only to find years later that Keith mostly played supras! Ha.

Dave

BongoNiall

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 3 sets of Premier 2000 double 12's snare wires from a drum job lot I bought which I don't need and am thinking of selling. They're as new, still in the original cardboard sleeves. I'm not really sure of the value of them as I can't find any in this condition online (only used or with missing strands). Can anyone help me with a valuation please? Also if anyone is interested I'm based in the UK and would be happy to post them on.
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 07.32.25.png