Premier 54 question

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i know nothing about Premier drum kits, so I'm asking for some opinions, advice, or anything ya might know about the 54 outfit. It's in great condition. The owner doesn't know much about it.
Good kit? What should something like thid kit go for?
00Q0Q_aByo7f87jX_0cU08B_600x450.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for British Dixieland.
That or climb into a tiny little box and get comfortable.
You are boxed in on many sides.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
heads, screws, hoops, rods, holders, spurs, ......snare strainer, wires..... Are all Specialty Items
Hmmm. I probably wouldn't play it much...I may go take a look. Pictures can be deceiving

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures not the issue. The Picture looks well preserved set of drums. You are just not going to tinker mod or run real hard with them. If you want a nice basement or living room piece they look great. As a long time working set you might run into issues I mentioned

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This would be a kit I'd like someone more knowledgeable than me (pretty much anyone on DFO) to go check it out.
There are plenty of pictures, I just have no idea of the value. They're asking 1k even. I would love a kit with that 60's sound.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got ya. I wouldn't gig with them. If i get my playing together, I'd record em for sure.
This is an excellent time to find some great deals, although that's also sad....It's a tough time for many, and sorry to say.
It couldn't hurt to look. Thanks for the heads up on the parts!

TorchmanRG

Reaction score
This is probably a very good sounding kit. Looks to be birch (older Premiers were typically 3-ply birch or mahogany with re-rings). Premier made very good drums for a long time. Their chrome plating was exceptional, as were their low profile die-cast hoops. Given the age, there's a good chance that drums are metric size - older Premiers often are. If so, getting heads might be a hassle. I'd definitely check with the seller to see if he knows if the drums are metric or international sizes

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is probably a very good sounding kit. Looks to be birch (older Premiers were typically 3-ply birch or mahogany with re-rings). Premier made very good drums for a long time. Their chrome plating was exceptional, as were their low profile die-cast hoops. Given the age, there's a good chance that drums are metric size - older Premiers often are. If so, getting heads might be a hassle. I'd definitely check with the seller to see if he knows if the drums are metric or international sizes
Thanks! Seriously I know very little about anything pre 1980. I didn't know parts would put me in a little box, but I'll take the chance ;)
I've always loved the sounds of that era of drum.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and look at it tomorrow. It looks well kept, and the price seems reasonable.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always loved the sounds of that era of drum.
You better know what you're talking about ; )
What 60s Music? the many British band that made small impression until they made a big impression and switched to Ludwig?
Maybe Mitch Mitchell very early on a few others....
Keith Moon very early when he had 12 drums.. late

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You better know what you're talking about ; )
What 60s Music? the many British band that made small impression until they made a big impression and switched to Ludwig?
Maybe Mitch Mitchell very early on a few others....
Keith Moon very early when he had 12 drums.. late
I have no clue what I'm talking about!
It's all good. Like i said, like most of my kits, I play 1, or 2. I'll check the edges, and if they're good, it may come in useful.

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love mine. Extremely nice build. Pre international heads needed on some. Can be still purchased from Remo. Sound? Amazing! There’s a reason why many of the greats were using Premier (Blakey, Jones, etc.). I’d gig em anytime. As far as parts...like all vintage stuff you hunt for it, but you can find parts. IMO, Premiers from this era tend to be totally underrated. On my kit, only the 12 (ie 11 7/8”) is pre international. So just about every time I see one, I buy it. I have a stash now. I’ve been told you can order them through your local dealer but Remo only makes them occasionally. Also limited to Ambassador, Emperor, maybe pinstripe or fyberski. They like Ambassadors so you’re likely to find them for Toms. The kick is another story. I’ve never seen one, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist or you can’t get them. That’s the only issue imo. Slotted tension rods I’m used to cause I also love Sonor. Premier are as nice as teardrops...but sturdier. The quality is awesome. A truly quality kit!
3EA50247-F348-4786-A75B-56D6CD379B17.jpeg

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Other than the snare wires or a strainer (and I'm guessing even those can be found for a price or worked through), I wouldn't let "parts" concern me. Drums are about as simple as it gets. If you don't have to have all original parts, you can keep them going for as long as you and your grandkids want to keep playing.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1k is way too much to spend on these. As nice as they are.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love mine. Extremely nice build. Pre international heads needed on some. Can be still purchased from Remo. Sound? Amazing! There’s a reason why many of the greats were using Premier (Blakey, Jones, etc.). I’d gig em anytime. As far as parts...like all vintage stuff you hunt for it, but you can find parts. IMO, Premiers from this era tend to be totally underrated. On my kit, only the 12 (ie 11 7/8”) is pre international. So just about every time I see one, I buy it. I have a stash now. I’ve been told you can order them through your local dealer but Remo only makes them occasionally. Also limited to Ambassador, Emperor, maybe pinstripe or fyberski. They like Ambassadors so you’re likely to find them for Toms. The kick is another story. I’ve never seen one, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist or you can’t get them. That’s the only issue imo. Slotted tension rods I’m used to cause I also love Sonor. Premier are as nice as teardrops...but sturdier. The quality is awesome. A truly quality kit! View attachment 454437
Wow, that's a beautiful kit! You own one, and have nothing negative to say.
As for the price, it's my $, so don't stress it.
I'm going to meet the owners asap, and make en an offer.
Thanks for all the input....besides the one about being trapped in a box. Bro, get some help ;)