Premier 54 question

Tedd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input....besides the one about being trapped in a box. Bro, get some help ;)
JDA is trying to help you. He is letting you what you are getting into (expensive replacement parts that are hard to find) before you invest any money into them - You should be thanking him.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good for British Dixieland.
That or climb into a tiny little box and get comfortable.
You are boxed in on many sides.
At the time, this wasn't a help. I'm over it. Everyone has their own sense of humor. His happens to be a sick one, but I can appreciate it

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

Tedd

Reaction score
At the time, this wasn't a help. I'm over it. Everyone has their own sense of humor. His happens to be a sick one, but I can appreciate it
You said that you don't know anything about Premier Drums and then asked for advice. I don't understand how alerting you to potential problems that you might encounter down the road isn't helpful - you must have misunderstood him.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
It wasn’t sick, and it wasn’t humor. It was just good advice given graciously.

I’m excited for you, I love that era of Premier Drums. You seem to know what you’re in for. Grab ‘em and enjoy ‘em.

Bonus Sneak Preview:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's over. You said it yourself you were joking. I made my decision. No need to beat a dead horse

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
sorry, he said it himself. I'm sure he's a big boy, and probably doesn't need anyone speaking for him. I took the info given, and im real excited. I just hope the edged are good, and all 14 pictures were accurate

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have to have all original parts, you can keep them going for as long as you and your grandkids want to keep playing.
that's what I mean you can't retrofit standard USA say W&A stuff to them Premiers;
you know like how every vintage slingerland, ludwig, gretsch had something.... from W & A ...on their sets.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said that you don't know anything about Premier Drums and then asked for advice. I don't understand how alerting you to potential problems that you might encounter down the road isn't helpful - you must have misunderstood him.
He did; we cleared it up and had a Laugh on PM :) all good...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for Premiers being they were my second set bought new ordered and received in late 1971..
by that time they were mahogany shell and international size
I lived and gigged with them for 26 years so I know how delicate some of the fittings were compared with American brands But good luck. They are a delicacy especially an earlier set like you are looking at

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine if you own any vintage gear, and playbit often, you'll end up searching for parts eventually. DuplexTim really seems to like the kit, he doesn't seem concerned if he needed a part, and I'm sure he knows the market as well as anyone. His praise of that kit, and lack of concern put any doubt I had to rest.
The I'd imagine the Artstar would be a bigger problem being they only made the cordia for 2 years
If I needed someone bad enough, I'm confident I'd find it.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the price is fair - buy them. Top quality, very underrated vintage drums. If they're pre-international sizes, don't sweat it, you can get them from most Remo dealers, I know Drum Factory Direct carries a slew of them (and shipped to your door).

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm refurbishing almost that exact kit for a friend. Gorgeous kit. $1200 is a low average for a kit like that that I've seen in the last 4 or 5 months. I personally, would definitely grab it up at $1200 and would scream if I could get it for less.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
my favorite era if I had to again pick today
late-72 into 73.. 392 tom mount system

^ a rare incredibly preserved set from the Netherlands..

^ a righteous set at Steve Maxwells in NY

and
what do we have here : )

I see you're a fellow Pennsylvanian? There it is..

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a beautiful kit! You own one, and have nothing negative to say.
As for the price, it's my $, so don't stress it.
I'm going to meet the owners asap, and make en an offer.
Thanks for all the input....besides the one about being trapped in a box. Bro, get some help ;)
Haha... thanks. Man, you know what you like and it’s your money. You are completely capable of making a good decision ! If this is the kind of thing you’re looking for, go for it! Please post pics tho... The blue marine is pretty rare.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd absolutely pay a grand for these if closer inspection matches the way the set appears from a distance, particularly because of the snare.
As I've pointed out before, Dave's Drums in Ottawa, Ontario advertises pre-international Remo heads in stock.

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Will throw my 2 cents in as I have an almost identical kit (brought in 1965 by the 1st and only other owner) purchased for next to nothing in the mid-90's. JDA is quite correct in saying that many of the fittings from this era are unique, meaning replacements parts can be tricky to find, and somewhat flimsy. Think Moon would have helped them improve that as the later `60's stuff is far sturdier. The first few (and only) times I played mine in it's `as built' state, found the spring-loaded floor toms legs adequate at best, provided the drum wasn't angled. Found some later era premier ones to replace these with.
The bass mounted tom arm was seized by over-tightening and was pretty much useless. Rack tom has been on a snare stand since.
The button-press spurs didn't stand up to a heavy foot either, you got that sinking feeling! These were replaced with aftermarket gibraltar spurs. The royal-ace strainer was broken when I got it, so that was ripped out and an aftermarket conventional strainer put on. Have a couple of `70's era snares (2000 and 2001) with the later flobeam strainer which IMO is brilliant.
As the slotted rods were also thin on the ground at the time, square headed rods were put on. In a fit of stupidity also ripped off the blue pearl wrap and refinished the shells. I plan to make amends for this soon, and re-wrap it back to original. The mods will remain though, even though they've completely killed any value it may have (but these were worth nothing in the `90's remember), and it's now spent 25 years on the road, mainly in loud rock n'roll and punk rock bands. Never let me down, and I LOVE the sound of these drums, and they cut through too. When it came to selling a kit during a period of being poor I chose to sell my Yamaha RC's over these (may cop a bit of heat on here for that haha!).
Finding heads for the 12" undersized tom and the 16" oversized floor tom have never been a problem (provided you like Remo coated ambassodors), even at the bottom of the global supply chain. I believe the 20" bass drum from this era is also slightly undersized, but a regular 20" head will still fit? Can anyone confirm this??
Anyway, highly rate these drums - for all their quirks, maybe because of them? - so if it feels good, do it!!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah those are worth $1000.
The absolute second you pick them up you'll know why. They're light in weight, super high quality craftsmanship and they sound beautiful.
Everybody always says how great their chrome is and I was skeptical. But as soon as I saw one in person I got what they meant.
They have their own super stylish aesthetic and they back it up with their sound.

I had the pleasure to go and look at a set just like that a couple of weeks ago a few miles from my house. First time I'd ever seen older Premiers in person.
Guy wanted almost $1300 for 12"' 14", 20" with matching snare. Not too bad, but there was the dreaded Pearl Mount Mod done to them at some point. That and the aqua sparkle wrap was faded to olive green on 2 drums and spotty on 1. Too bad, really.
But man, were they nice.

If they come down on price, I may pick them up. They're just awesome. Re-wrapping would suck though, and I couldn't look at them in that terrible wrap all the time.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$1000 is way to much for these.

Low selling (not asking) prices for Premier drums in the USA are not a reflection of their quality- but their demand. There isn’t much.

Steve Maxwell is the absolute top of the retail food chain for vintage- and even he lists Premier sets in the mid to high three figure range.

If you must have them- it is your money. Just go into it realizing that you most likely will never get your money back.