Premier '90s strainer problem/question

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello Premier Experts,

My first question: what is the actual model number of this strainer system?

And...more important, what can I do about the fact that the snare tape on the strainer end will not tighten enough to allow for proper tension? The key rods have to be cranked down way too hard to loosen and then to tighten, but then...it's not enough to hold the tape in place. It slips right out. There are tiny springs along the key rods' threads. I don't like snare tape, but that's how these snares are designed.

On the "butt plate" end, that bolt and ring are absolutely locked down. Is that normal?

I know there are folks here knowledgeable on '90's Premiers. I love my Genista set and never had problems with it. How to fix this snare? Thanks.

Attachments

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about running the tape under the clamp, then straight up and through the clamp from the front? It seems like having a double bend would help.

fusseltier

Reaction score
You don't have to play heavily, hard, or loud.
Playing with just the right power, gently, lightly, will give you more sound possibilities too.
Loud or heavily doesn't mean good, there's a point that drums and cymbals will sound bad or not giving the sounds you need or desire.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve owned several of those and don’t remember having that problem. You could always go to using string or grosgrain ribbon as they wouldn’t be so smooth or slippy.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
You don't have to play heavily, hard, or loud.
Playing with just the right power, gently, lightly, will give you more sound possibilities too.
Loud or heavily doesn't mean good, there's a point that drums and cymbals will sound bad or not giving the sounds you need or desire.
In 50 years of drumming I have never played hard at all. As I say, you can't even tighten the the tape down enough to adjust the snares. The bracket does not restrain the snare tape. You can pull it out with your hands.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve owned several of those and don’t remember having that problem. You could always go to using string or grosgrain ribbon as they wouldn’t be so smooth or slippy.
I much prefer string, but these original Premier snare wires (which I normally like) by the '90s don't have the holes for string. So I could try different snares, but first I will definitely get some the famed grosgrain ribbon. What kind of actual, non-online stores have this?
Thanks, Jeremy!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about running the tape under the clamp, then straight up and through the clamp from the front? It seems like having a double bend would help.
I might give this a shot, thank you Mr. ARGuy!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I much prefer string, but these original Premier snare wires (which I normally like) by the '90s don't have the holes for string. So I could try different snares, but first I will definitely get some the famed grosgrain ribbon. What kind of actual, non-online stores have this?
Thanks, Jeremy!
You don’t think the string would stay in the “clamp” area if you fished it through? I haven’t had one of these in years so I don’t recall. If you prefer string and it would work, it would save you from buying the ribbon. But if not, by all means get some ribbon.

I have always bought the grosgrain ribbon at craft stores like Michael’s. I have two small spools that I bought awhile ago and no signs of running out. But then I only use it on some drums, that seem more suited to a strap method of attaching the snares, which I guess would apply to this drum! If it were me I would probably set this one up with grosgrain and call it a day. It never slips out in my experience.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
You don’t think the string would stay in the “clamp” area if you fished it through? I haven’t had one of these in years so I don’t recall. If you prefer string and it would work, it would save you from buying the ribbon. But if not, by all means get some ribbon.

I have always bought the grosgrain ribbon at craft stores like Michael’s. I have two small spools that I bought awhile ago and no signs of running out. But then I only use it on some drums, that seem more suited to a strap method of attaching the snares, which I guess would apply to this drum! If it were me I would probably set this one up with grosgrain and call it a day. It never slips out in my experience.
Thanks, Jeremy. String would likely stay in the clamp area, but these Premier snare wires don't have any holes for strings - strap only. I could try string with wires that have the holes, but I thinks it's off to Michaels I will go. We have them here (Detroit).

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
It’s a model 610 - there is a fine gentleman who goes by the name of Peter Hopkins who may be able to get you a NOS replacement - PM me if you’d like me to connect you and I’m also happy to chat tips and tricks as i have a few of these!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s a model 610 - there is a fine gentleman who goes by the name of Peter Hopkins who may be able to get you a NOS replacement - PM me if you’d like me to connect you and I’m also happy to chat tips and tricks as i have a few of these!
Many thanks. Please watch for a PM.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own about a dozen drums with the 610 throw off and have had many more pass through my possession since the late 90’s. The only times I’ve seen these clamps not work properly is when there’s a bend in the thinner bottom “bar” from being over tightened. From the pic it sure looks to me to be the case. I’d pull that piece off and see if you can gently flatten it out, and swap those awful plastic straps for grosgrain ribbon so it has a little more to grab onto.
375BA31B-81A7-4A93-93DC-970C0280C662.jpeg

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was exactly my fear. I am not one for that level of re-machining, as simple as it may seem. I will try to get some buddies who have rubber hammers and actual room enough to have a workbench get in on this.

Also, the t-rod screws are brutally hard to break loose and to tighten, every time. The threads do NOT appear or feel like they've "gone bad," at least how I've experienced that in other situations. What do you think, is this part of that bar being bent? I will definitely be trying the legendary grosgrain.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
And yes, mg, I dearly loathe plastic straps! My beautiful '90s Genista snare has them, too, but I've used that drum so lightly (got it and the set new), that I've never had any problems with it. It and the whole set are the gorgeous Turquoise Lacquer - you know how beautiful their lacquers were.

I fear that this picc, though in great shape finish-wise...well think about it: 90's piccolo, the rise of slammin' Gospel where the picc was king, tightened within an inch of its life...hit hard....but I don't really know.