Premier aluminum shell vs Acrolite ?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a Hi Fi aluminum and not a resonator, seller is mistaken I'm sure. No big deal . I've owned this drum in different configurations - the 2000 and regular strainer one, but can't remember A-B ' ing with an Acro . The folded edges have different profiles and I believe that the Premier is 5.5" deep .

Price is right for this one but I'm curious about any experience you've had that would appraise differences with the Ludwig . I intend to replace hoops with tri flange Ludwigs if I buy it.

Thanks

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would you replace the hoops; that's part of the "Premier experience' an advantage or uniqueness- the low profile- the shape-
~
I think he calls it resonator because that was pictured iirc with the resonator sets in catalog (always thought that was odd and wondered "is there a wood liner in there"?..

ime Premier drums are "lighter" than comparable US drums of the time. Which has advantages and disadvantages.
Wouldn't be surprised if a bone stock acrolite is heavier overall; (not by much but say a Supra vs a 2000 always seemed a significant (I know 8L vs 10L but still) weight difference)
which to me; "sets the tone" +/- literally

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Snare side cast hoops , to my ears anyway , make the drum tubby and boxy sounding . The lower profile batter side is OK for some snares . Strangely enough , I used a Premier cast batter hoop on an Acrolite at one time with positive results .

The ' Mazak ' hoops are a perfect match for their toms ,a part of the Premier experience I fully endorse and enjoy .

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have another story ; )/..
I'll never forget.
I was at Berklee right, and I find myself in a room with another (upper classman not an instructor) I don't know why we were there maybe to go over a piece (he knew well) of music.. He had his snare drum - a Supra and I had mine a 2000 Premier I had carried (on the plane from home right)

And he berated me over the Premier drum. I'll never forget that (this was like 1975).. He berated me for playing the Premier 2000 (like it was krap drum..) . He was a little older and a little bigger than me otherwise I would have KHA.

:D

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snare side cast hoops
yes but those are so unique/outside of the usual "cast".. (monsters) (1/2 the size of Pearl/Gretsch) they almost deserved a separate category all their own +/-

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
think that drum is a buy btw

This one..

doesn't even look "brushed"...

interesting:

and money:

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi-Fi vs Acro is on the table
2000 comparable with Supra position-ing

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
i have another story ; )/..
I'll never forget.
I was at Berklee right, and I find myself in a room with another (upper classman not an instructor) I don't know why we were there maybe to go over a piece (he knew well) of music.. He had his snare drum - a Supra and I had mine a 2000 Premier I had carried (on the plane from home right)

And he berated me over the Premier drum. I'll never forget that (this was like 1975).. He berated me for playing the Premier 2000 (like it was krap drum..) . He was a little older and a little bigger than me otherwise I would have KHA.

:D
lol, I wish you had KHA.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
think that drum is a buy btw

This one..

doesn't even look "brushed"...

interesting:

and money:

Holy Yumpin Yimminy !! $$$$$$$

I may followup on the brushed alum. Hi Fi .

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pretty regular ,maybe not the longer gradual taper of Ludwig ,but in that ball park. The Hi Fi beds weren't designed for the SS 2000 wire mechanism .

mpthomson

Reaction score
This is a Hi Fi aluminum and not a resonator, seller is mistaken I'm sure. No big deal . I've owned this drum in different configurations - the 2000 and regular strainer one, but can't remember A-B ' ing with an Acro . The folded edges have different profiles and I believe that the Premier is 5.5" deep .

Price is right for this one but I'm curious about any experience you've had that would appraise differences with the Ludwig . I intend to replace hoops with tri flange Ludwigs if I buy it.

Thanks

Just to add to the confusion there are some genuine 'Resonator' snare drums from this period, though this isn't one. There were a small number built with a birch liner inside the aluminium shell. I've had a couple over the years and it's easy to see why they dropped the idea quickly as they don't sound very good and a standard HiFi or a 2000 is a far better sounding snare!

They sound different from a Ludwig. The drums which sound basically identical to a Supraphonic are the Beverley 21 and Premier 35 as both had 5" spun ally shells and thin rims, as per the 400. There was a US model version of these, which had Beverley lugs, PD6048 rings a bell.

mpthomson

Reaction score
why would you replace the hoops; that's part of the "Premier experience' an advantage or uniqueness- the low profile- the shape-
~
I think he calls it resonator because that was pictured iirc with the resonator sets in catalog (always thought that was odd and wondered "is there a wood liner in there"?..

ime Premier drums are "lighter" than comparable US drums of the time. Which has advantages and disadvantages.
Wouldn't be surprised if a bone stock acrolite is heavier overall; (not by much but say a Supra vs a 2000 always seemed a significant (I know 8L vs 10L but still) weight difference)
which to me; "sets the tone" +/- literally

See post above, there were some made with a Resonator liner.

Reactions: JDA

mpthomson

Reaction score
Hi-Fi vs Acro is on the table
2000 comparable with Supra position-ing

Not really (for either), they don't sound that alike, due to the diecasts and non-beaded shell. A Premier 35, or Beverley 21 (same shell as the 35) on the other hand sound indistinguishable from a 400. Same goes for a 36 and a 402.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really (for either), they don't sound that alike
Yea didn't get into that detail Looking more as What was seen most often- put With What sets-- market/marketing equivalents
(you "saw" (marketed) a 2000 with the Premier set and a comparably positioned/ price wise Ludwig set, had a Supra...
but you're right

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I popped an old aluminum Slingerland shell into my free floater , and my itch for that Premier has left . The Slingy is the cheap one with folded edges . Holes are plugged and I'm more than a little impressed with the result . It has the dry pop of a Supraphonic .

So .... if anyone wants to scoop the Hi Fi ,you have my blessing .

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A06A5083-61F6-4A4C-9F60-4F8B8A14A00B.jpeg

These are what you want to find if you want the Premier version of an Acro. These are the PD6021, built for the US market in the 70’s and were the stock snare for the 6000 series Powerhouse kits. They’re essentially the hybrid of an Acro and a Supra as it’s an aluminum shell w/8 lugs like an Acro and chrome platting like a Supra.

I’ve had the top drum for a few years and it’s very reminiscent of the Acro’s I used to own. The bottom drum I recently acquired and it has the cast hoops off a 2000 and it’s a killer drum. Honestly prefer it to the flanged hoop version.

mpthomson

Reaction score
View attachment 525891

These are what you want to find if you want the Premier version of an Acro. These are the PD6021, built for the US market in the 70’s and were the stock snare for the 6000 series Powerhouse kits. They’re essentially the hybrid of an Acro and a Supra as it’s an aluminum shell w/8 lugs like an Acro and chrome platting like a Supra.

I’ve had the top drum for a few years and it’s very reminiscent of the Acro’s I used to own. The bottom drum I recently acquired and it has the cast hoops off a 2000 and it’s a killer drum. Honestly prefer it to the flanged hoop version.

The UK spec Beverley 21's and Premier 35 drums are the same shell with 10 lugs.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sonor never made an aluminum snare, which drew me to Premier to fill that gap

2000 - Acro killer
2003 - Supra killer
2386542B-E5FA-4489-9E52-4802BEE6B0C4.jpeg

Last edited: