Premier bop project

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
You sold your Gretsches?

BTW, don't rule out spray paint. I took a few rattle cans of dark grey matte to my cheapo imperialstars. They look sweet.

View attachment 446790

Sold is a strong word. They are back with their original owner Paul Wells. I mean the guy subs with the village vanguard big band and tours with Curtis Stigers among other great gigs.

He will get more mileage out of them than me and my 1-2 a month gigs.

The epic saga continues :happy1:

Go get some popcorn from the concession stand and enjoy the movie

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dude! So much news.
I'm glad you sold the G's. I sensed that you weren't quite happy with them anyways. I don't blame you, I've never thought BDP looked good.

I'm bummed to see that I missed so much of these goings on.
I would have suggested a dark stain or re-wrap anyways.

I'm about to try a new (to me) technique for staining my Slingerlands. "Dark Red Mahogany" aniline dye. Should help them all match in color while not muddying up the look of the grain. Pretty excited for that.
Your 12" looks really cool, btw.
Stripping them all (doing prep work) before applying any finish is definitely the preferred order of operations.
Let this be a lesson to all you kids.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well. I continue to run into "newbie" roadblocks.
The 12" is basically a sponge in parts and is soaking up anything I put on it.
Its like a zebra. The black stripe being normal solid wood ply and the white stripe being a porous spong-like sub ply. So 50% of stain or paint is staying on top and 50% soaking in.

After lots of videos and searches my next step is wood fill then sanding.

The 14 and 18 are beautiful and looking great.

Crossing my fingers. Im actually enjoying starting my summer with this puzzle to solve. Its actually a calming and meditative process..

"Serenity now "

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Getting closer. I ordered Silver glass glitter inlays from precision drum company for the bass drum hoops .

Should be a pretty classy look when im done.

Making lots of newbie mistakes. But Im having fun..and fun is a good thing.

20200622_143353.jpg

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 12" wood grain is zebra like. Nice wood grain followed by a spongy grain that soaked up stain. See photos above in thread. It was obviously a "wrap only drum". The other 3 drums have perfect shells.
I tried Ebony stain thinking it might work. Nope.
So went with black gloss. Ill be putting poly on to finish. From my research anywhere from 3-7 coats. Lightly sanding in between.

So with the Silver Glass Glitter inlay it will be a premier birch version "vibe" of the gretsch rb tony used with Miles.
I should buy some gretch badges and logo head to add the finishing touch. Ha ha.

Those drums with me wearing a tuxedo should look sharp.

Just need a gig.

Im actually loving the finish. Its really growing on me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad to see you are having fun with your project Tom. THey're looking good.

I refinished a drum when I was a teen (with the advice of a luthier,) and I can't think of many processes that I enjoyed LESS! It's just not my thing (spray, wet sand, steel wool, wipe, respray, repeat, etc etc etc...On my God, there's a speck of dust in the paint! Argh...). But I'm glad YOU are enjoying it.

Black drums are really nice, I seem to recall someone telling you that a while back. (ha.)
IMG_0666.JPG

Very classy and timeless, but they do show smudges and dirt pretty easy. But you seem to be a guy who would enjoy cleaning your drums. I don't even enjoy taking them out of the car when I get home from a gig, let alone out of the cases.

I'm glad you are having fun with the zen-ness of the process. I have been getting that zen-ness from yard work (I NEVER thought that I would even come close to enjoying that "process.")

IMG_1212.jpg

Keep up the nice work, and good luck!
MSG

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ive already done that. Just the minwax clear gloss. Might be hard to tell in photo. Those drums have 6 coats of clear gloss.

If you stand next to drum you can see your reflection

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man those look great! Love the badges against the black. Nice job!
Thanks. Tons a newbie mistakes you and future audience on a gig won't be able to see unless you get 6" away but..thanks.

I don't know if i would do this again. Tons of work.

Its so boring its like watching paint dry.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those look awesome.

Thanks. Tons a newbie mistakes you and future audience on a gig won't be able to see unless you get 6" away but..thanks.

I don't know if i would do this again. Tons of work.

Its so boring its like watching paint dry.

Somebody else said something similar around here, recently. I love the process. It's fun to me. To each their own.
How long until they're done?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
No. I was kidding. It has been fun and a great distraction from teaching. A good transition project.

I just glued the inlays. I definitely picked the right glitter.
7/8" is a little too wide/modern looking for my tastes...but its what I had to play with.

I am 100% done (i might need to do tiny little touch ups here and there) with everything. Just waiting for the new drumheads.

UPS tracking says Thursday, July 2 but they could come early.

So I'm thinking Friday is completion date.

Ill take photos of course.

Then Im making a comparison video with them, and my Slingerlands .

Ill use the same John Riley play along as I made with the RB gretsch.

Ill try to tune the heads the same as that video.

Should be fun/interesting.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Now I'm starting to see them.
"yeah you might be able to take those out in public".

(those inlays are killin!)

Last edited: