Premier Genista (English Made) Love........?

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anybody own or use a Genista kit?

All Birch, made in the Yamaha factory in England in the 90s.

Like/No like?

Tell us what you think of them.

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, 94 or 95 can't remember Genista 8x10,8x12,14x14 floor 16x20 bass and 6x14 snare in ermine white. Best birch kit out there IMHO

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with biggator! Always love those drums. Had a set of 10/12/14/22 Genistas in gold top lacquer that were great, and I've owned at least three Signia kits. Wish I had never had to sell my first set of them to buy a house - it was one of the Walnut satin kits with the gold accent lugs.

R

RickP

I liked the Genistas, really well made drums, though I personally preferred the Signia and Signia Marquis more.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just played my 90's Damask Red Genistas at a gig over the weekend. They sounded like guns going off. Fat, plenty of attack, full of tone. They will be buried with me.

Dan

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Signia rerings are tops for me. The Genista was an ok birch offering but I prefer Eames 6 ply and YRC 6 ply over the Genista.
Nothing wrong with them by any means, better than Ludwigs birch thats for sure :laughing3:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
trappemann said:
Does anybody own or use a Genista kit?

All Birch, made in the Yamaha factory in England in the 90s.

Like/No like?

Tell us what you think of them.
That was the PREMIER factory in England, which was owned for around 5 years by Yamaha.

I had those Genista's set up right next to 2 of my Sakae Yamaha Recording Customs.. and the Genista's sounded better than both. It's a no-brainer when you see that heavy duty under-sizing on the English shells..

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish Premier would just re-release the Genistas and Signias. Some of the best sounding drums ever. And, the visuals still look great!

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
My wife's cousin has a Signia kit... and they sound fantastic.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Current version, although this is limited finish, with the new slghtly smaller lugs.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a set of Genistas that were fantastic a while ago at a music store, but I just got a set of Signias with the re-rings and they are easily the best sounding kit that I have heard!

Attachments

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love these Premier threads. I own and have owned a few Premiers.
The only one I did not like was an early GC year when they started up in NJ and I bought an Astria or a Vitria kit in a "one off" natural birch finish, new, for $499. I could never get them to sing, even when adding Rims Mounts, so I sold them. But my APK kit, XPK kit, classic birch, artist heritage clubdate pancake kit, and my 1969-70 mahogany kit all sing and have great tone. IMHO
Keep them pics coming !! ;-) :)

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got these almost a year ago today...Bought them off a college kid in Louisiana that needed cash and they needed a few parts but other than that, they were in excellent shape for about a 20 year old kit. Very few dings at all and my favorite color as well. Sizes-24,10,12,14, 16 floor and matching 5x14 snare.

Attachments

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first time I tried some of the then-new UK Premier Signias and Genistas when I was in school in the mid-'90s, my mind was blown. It was maybe the only such experience I've had hearing a drum set in total.

There are other drums/brands I like just as much for different reasons, and I don't really gravitate toward that Signia/Genista sound right now. However, I can still easily recall the sensory experience; these drums just sounded like they were operating surpassingly on every level that we expect of modern, high-end drums: BIG sound, clean sound, beautiful tonal qualities (nothing ugly at all), lots of resonance, lots of sustain, and easily tunable with a huge tuning range. In a way, they sounded to me in person almost like hearing a great drum recording. And the construction and materials were obviously top-shelf.

You can say some of these things about many drums, of course, but there was just something about those drums that was different. I think it had to do with that undersized shell and how clean and resonant a tone it produced.

As far as modern drums go, while there are obviously many fantastic drums out there, I haven't heard anything since that has given me that degree of wow factor.

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
charlesm said:
The first time I tried some of the then-new UK Premier Signias and Genistas when I was in school in the mid-'90s, my mind was blown. It was maybe the only such experience I've had hearing a drum set in total.
I was working with a band when they got signed to Atlantic (doing live sound).. the drummer got a Premier endorsement and they gave him Signias. I heard them and never forgot how they sounded. When I got back into drumming - I looked for a set immediately.

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
I think the original 90's Premier Genistas are some of the best sounding birch drums made. Wish I would have bought some back then instead of my XPK's.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha was out of Premier by the time of the Genestas. They were out by the time of the Signias as well. Tony Doughty's leadership of Premier gave us both.

Latest posts