Premier Genista (English Made) Love........?

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the birch set

The shells cost 10,000 to make. Rolls Royce did the chrome, and Jaguar
This is not accurate, the Della Porta family (who started Premier) had a plating business that was separate from Premier. This company was who did all of Premier’s chrome work.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They were only made 1 year. They truly are the best sounding drums . 1995 Genista, birch.
This is also not correct. The Genista series ran from 1994 up until they were discontinued in favor of the Premier “Series” system in the early 00’s.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Does anybody own or use a Genista kit?

All Birch, made in the Yamaha factory in England in the 90s.

Like/No like?

Tell us what you think of them.
Some of the best sounding Birch drums I've ever played.
...sometimes I have issues with the big turtle back lugs, but I usually get past it pretty quick.
They were really nice drums.
Artist Birch was the same layup, but used a different edge. I don't think the plies were quite as nice, either.

Elvis

Last edited:

JRS2019

Reaction score
This is also not correct. The Genista series ran from 1994 up until they were discontinued in favor of the Premier “Series” system in the early 00’s.
Well I had spent a afternoon with a gentleman who shared all his documents that he had collected. When I left I understood so much more and the reason behind these drums, something you may no nothing about. This was a launch towards making the finest drums ever. You need to do more research.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I had spent a afternoon with a gentleman who shared all his documents that he had collected. When I left I understood so much more and the reason behind these drums, something you may no nothing about. This was a launch towards making the finest drums ever. You need to do more research.
um...

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got these off eBay last year, yes they truly are fantastic sounding drums, mine were made when Yamaha was involved, 1994 I think the seller said, all birch, I have the other smaller mounted Tom but am just using the mounted 12". Floor Tom is 14" bass drum is 20". I've recently found a period correct birch snare, and a different colour which is cool, it is an amazing sounding snare, though am using either one of two radio long snares ( for big band). Amended:- mine are from '96, have read sellers ad, and going by the badge which our member mgdrumer shows in this thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I worked for two different music shops selling Premier in the mid/late 90’s and was offered a job with the US Premier distribution team as I was leaving the business. I was there in the thick of it watching the evolution of the Signias, Genistas, the introduction of the Marquis and Gen-X, the phasing out of the APK in favor of the Cabria, the evolution and eventual discontinuation of the XPK/XPK Astria, Vitria before the release of the Artist Birch/Artist Maple series. You’re trying to correct the wrong person my friend...

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This.

And they made a new run later on. Which was almost the same, only made in Taiwan.
Similar aesthetics but the shells were not made of the same Finnish birch as the originals. The lacquer finishes on the reissues also suffered from cracking/splitting for some reason. Overall they just weren’t up to par with the originals.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I worked for two different music shops selling Premier in the mid/late 90’s and was offered a job with the US Premier distribution team as I was leaving the business. I was there in the thick of it watching the evolution of the Signias, Genistas, the introduction of the Marquis and Gen-X, the phasing out of the APK in favor of the Cabria, the evolution and eventual discontinuation of the XPK/XPK Astria, Vitria before the release of the Artist Birch/Artist Maple series. You’re trying to correct the wrong person my friend...
Yeah but...there was a gentleman with documents. :p

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Similar aesthetics but the shells were not made of the same Finnish birch as the originals. The lacquer finishes on the reissues also suffered from cracking/splitting for some reason. Overall they just weren’t up to par with the originals.
They were lucky than that the sound and feel stayed the same to my ears.

Regardless. It is sad that it went down how it went.

It is now a Lidl.

A factory picture when it was left in dispair :(

7CC41749-DD3A-49F9-9884-215D73DD48FC.jpeg

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here’s another interesting fact about the 90’s Genistas. There were three different badges used over the course of the series. First one (bottom) has the slant logo left over from the Yamaha era which ceased being used around 94/95. The middle badge that reads “Premier Percussion” was the first post-Yamaha era design and represents aprox 95-97. The last logo had the dotted “i” and removed the word “Percussion” from the badge. This change was visible in the last Rebound catalog and the 98/99 catalogs and lasted until the series was discontinued in the early 00’s.
34216D3F-D507-490F-A2E5-C1B14D55FDA0.jpeg
AA83D158-5220-471B-AE7C-FDBAD989F85C.jpeg
1709EF59-C612-4C2B-BD3E-C616BCD9B588.jpeg
3A5346A8-FCEA-46A8-AB6B-45D9A3F7832F.jpeg

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
MG,

I have long held the opinion that the Artist series was a way for Premier to use up less desirable plies of Maple and Birch, originally intended for the Signia (Marquis) and Genista drums.
Do you know if that is why the Artist series was created?
I seem to recall something about losing their Eucalyptus supplier, too, around that time.

Elvis

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
MG,

I have long held the opinion that the Artist series was a way for Premier to use up less desirable plies of Maple and Birch, originally intended for the Signia (Marquis) and Genista drums.
Do you know if that is why the Artist series was created?
I seem to recall something about losing their Eucalyptus supplier, too, around that time.

Elvis
I know for a fact the birch used in the Artist series wasn’t the same Finnish birch they sourced for the Genista. One would have to assume a similar situation for the Artist maple. I’ve never heard anything about Premier loosing the eucalyptus supplier, they kept using eucalyptus in the MKI Cabria after the Artist series was introduced.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I know for a fact the birch used in the Artist series wasn’t the same Finnish birch they sourced for the Genista.
The Artist Birch drums still sound really great regardless, as do the Taiwanese Genista sets, so whatever type of birch they sourced certainly worked well...to my ears.