Premier heads

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I love old Premiers. But sold off my kits......until I found an oyster kit. Had to have it. Bought the Remo Premier heads for rack tom but they still don't fit in the rim. Previously this happened and I spent hours on a grinder and finally took enough off the metal rim of the head so it would fit. But am having a hard time doing that again. Anybody else having problem with Remo Premier heads not fitting?

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So getting 70s international Premier hoops* (for the 12 top and bottom would solve it? It's a hoop (not the wood shell issue) would that be correct..

How well do the heads fit on the shell (loose?) minus the hoop(s) (Is what I'm getting at/towards/..

* or any/ol' triple flange hoops (kinda defeating the purpose of having an old premier metric set +/- )

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Heads fit fine on shell, but do not fit in the hoop. Usually the heads should kinda disappear within the hoop.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes I understand; I always said it's the Hoops...moreso than the shell w/the pre-international Premiers.

So would you consider putting standard triple or /other Hoops on them?
I used to own an International Premier set (303 plus extra floor) bought new in 1971 owned to 1996.

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No. I will keep grinding down the metal rim of head until it works with the die cast rims. Just a pain, when Remo makes a special head and it still doesn't fit.

comover

Reaction score
I‘ve had this conversation with Remo on more than 1 occasion. The only solution they could offer is having a custom head made. The original Premier Everplay heads had a slightly smaller diameter collar than the Remo PR head. It’s a drag, but I use a bench grinder successfully.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So I love old Premiers. But sold off my kits.
Is that a "14" or "16" floor tom Kluger.

I have one Everplay Extra 16" (with the box (cool) leftover from my Premier days But no way (I think) it's Whitworth (or whatever the English sizing was ) It's the old "circular" logo (not the square(s).)

A very shallow collar, 16.... I believe I bought for the Bottom of my 16..1971 ish back then. And never used...I still have it. 30$. With Box. If you want to try it I'll be at David Lawrence center on saturday or PM. It's not metric as far as I know) (whitworth..) But it is English made..

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I‘ve had this conversation with Remo on more than 1 occasion. The only solution they could offer is having a custom head made. The original Premier Everplay heads had a slightly smaller diameter collar than the Remo PR head. It’s a drag, but I use a bench grinder successfully.
Back to the grinder for me I guess. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is that a "14" or "16" floor tom Kluger.

I have one Everplay Extra 16" (with the box (cool) leftover from my Premier days But no way (I think) it's Whitworth (or whatever the English sizing was ) It's the old "circular" logo (not the square(s).)

A very shallow collar, 16.... I believe I bought for the Bottom of my 16..1971 ish back then. And never used...I still have it. 30$. With Box. If you want to try it I'll be at David Lawrence center on saturday or PM. It's not metric as far as I know) (whitworth..) But it is English made..
It's a 14". Modern heads fit fine on it. Thank you for the offer. Didn't realize you are relatively local to me. Hope to meet someday.

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also talked with them about a Premier bass drum head, just shy of 22". They used to make one, even had a code # , but after a year of trying, sold that kit.