premier heavy rock nine brass snare set up?

fivestarkid

Reaction score
i recently aquired this snare. i researched it for a while and someone said that the snare can sound bad or incredible depending on heads and wires but didnt elaborate on what he used or experienced. its the 14x9 brass. so with that depth of a snare which i dont have any experience using, should it be a thin batter head? thicker batter? 20 strands or 42 strands? it has the factory die cast hoops top and bottom. it sounds sweet now but if theres more i can squeeze out of her id like to try the best set up based on others experience with these or other deep brass snares.

thanks to all who chime in

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool drum. Head types, wires, etc are a matter of preference, but if it were mine I'd go with a two ply coated (Emperor/G2/etc) batter head, regular Ambassador type snare side head, and 20 strand Puresound wires.

Found this cool video of one.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There were three versions of the HR9:

1) Brass outer shell/birch inner shell, flow beam parallel throw off, heavy cast hoops
2) Brass shell ONLY, basic "P85-ish" throw off, heavy cast hoops
3) Brass shell ONLY, Signia/Genista 610 throw off/butt, triple flanged hoops

I have owned & played versions 1 & 2 and much preferred the all brass version. No amount of tuning or different head selections made #1 sound any better than a cardboard box with snare wires strapped to it. It is by nature of design a dead, dry drum.

The all brass versions sound phenomenal. I kept a hazy ambassador snare side or Aquarian equivalent on it, and had success with batter heads ranging from coated ambassadors, coated CS dots, Evans Power Centers, and Aquarian Hi Energy. It had 42 strand wires on it when I bought it that I swapped out for 20-24 strand Puresounds which I preferred at the time. If I still had it, I would most likely have it set up with a coated cs batter, hazy ambassador snare side & 42 strand wires.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I did a concert way back in the 80's with Dionne Warwick on the bill. Her drummer had one of those snares. He played very simple, nothing but back beats, but what a great sound! Super fat! I talked to him in the dressing room afterwards, and he said he used an Emperor batter head, tuned medium-low.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing these pop up for sale from time to time over the last 20+ years. What years were they produced? What’s a good price for these?