header.nohb.html

Premier Project

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How’s the project coming? We Premier junkies gotta know!

Despite being off work all this week I haven't done much (beyond dragging more projects home). The floor tom needs some additional sanding but I keep putting it off because it's always hot out when I have the time and when it's nice I am otherwise occupied. The outer ply on the 16 was damaged a bit by whomever stripped it way back when so it's going to take some extra work.

I'll get to it eventually, and post when I do.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A tiny sliver of progress. I fired up the Cricut machine to make a Ludwig logo head last night and did this for good measure...
View attachment 578520

The floor tom is about half stripped using the citrus strip and a long period to let it really soak in. I might try to finish it off over the weekend if the weather and my schedule permits. Too many irons in the fire, refurbing a Ludwig set for an upcoming gig, new kitten in the house, and finally, just now, got my "summer car" back on the road since Premium 93 octane gas is semi-affordable again. Busy busy.
You did a great job on the decals....will you eventually remove the REMO imprint on the bottom or? Just curious....

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did a great job on the decals....will you eventually remove the REMO imprint on the bottom or? Just curious....

Probably at some point. It's a smooth white head so the Remo imprint should wipe right off with acetone. "Should" being the operative word.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve removed the head manufacturer logo on a few but lately I’ve taken a different approach. I rotate the logo to the bottom then cover it up with a flag (eBay) from the country of origin.

Attachments

• A9EAD4E3-D4DA-42E9-9C62-B2D33D11F0E4.jpeg
    A9EAD4E3-D4DA-42E9-9C62-B2D33D11F0E4.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 8

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite being off work all this week I haven't done much (beyond dragging more projects home). The floor tom needs some additional sanding but I keep putting it off because it's always hot out when I have the time and when it's nice I am otherwise occupied. The outer ply on the 16 was damaged a bit by whomever stripped it way back when so it's going to take some extra work.

I'll get to it eventually, and post when I do.
Ah, no worries! I can relate- I currently have a kitchen remodel along with ever-present drum restores coupled with getting a 50 year old motorcycle back on the road.

I too have had enough of summer heat. Bring on the fall!

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember I posted about a Premier set I brought home a couple weeks back. It an early 70's set (I think) that matched pretty well to what I was wanting in a Premier set (cast hoops, classic double ended lugs, international sizing), I found it by chance online at a reasonably close Music Go Round. The price seemed right so I made the three hour trip to pick up the set. 12/13/16/22 with the holder. The 3 ply mahogany set was in gloss black wrap and it was apparent from the outset (visible in the online photos) that there were issues with the wrap (bubbling, on the bass drum and floor tom and slightly on the two small toms. left out in the sun too long at some point, no doubt) so I knew that going in.

Looking closer a few days after I brought them home I determined that the black was already a re-wrap on the drums. I disassembled the 12 (the lugs are held on by a single screw in an interesting way involving a slotted washer). Once the partial grommet was out the badge came right off. With just a bit of prying at the seam the wrap fell off the shell. They had glued it all over but it appears they used carpet cement, which didn't work so well. It did leave a nice mess behind on the shell. Fortunately, it seems to sand off pretty easily.

The black looked pretty sharp, if not for the wrinkles/bubbles, against the chrome and I thought about re-doing it in new gloss black....BUT! I do have some wrap already on hand that I bought a year or so ago and I'm very tempted to use it, which means minimal new investment other than maybe a new jug of 3M-30 NF. I have four sheets each of two colors of Pearl from China. A yellow pearl and a deep green. The yellow I was thinking of using (eventually) on some Radio King shells I've accumulated. The green was maybe going on a Rogers set but now I'm leaning towards doing the Premier in that. It's not a factory color of course (AFAIK) but I think the deep green would be a nice contrast to the shiny chrome bits.

Things are still up in the air. It's currently too hot to sand outside and too messy to do it inside so things are on hold. I think I'll do one drum first and see what I think before proceeding with the others. I'll report my progress here....if and when there is any. Opinions?
View attachment 569806

Here are my on-hand wrap choices (ten dollar bill is there for comparison of the "chip" size)

View attachment 569807

more to follow.,,,
I think the green is way to go

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooh.
What Slingerlands?

Picked up 12 & 20" Slingerland stage bands in a thrift store in Peoria IL the other day. Pretty rough but complete. I have a lead on a 14x14" SB shell so they will be my next project (probably). I'm thinking some sort of Satin Flame. I might post a thread about them when I have the chance.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Picked up 12 & 20" Slingerland stage bands in a thrift store in Peoria IL the other day. Pretty rough but complete. I have a lead on a 14x14" SB shell so they will be my next project (probably). I'm thinking some sort of Satin Flame. I might post a thread about them when I have the chance.

Awesome! Good luck with the 14"!
That's a tough one to find.