winner choice..total winner
close to the color in the back of the catalogs

008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice choice! Ok Kevin, I'll take credit for your inspiration. Think you saw this...
do you still own those drums Pebble..when did you get them..
same era as the 1971's I had, 8x14 390 holders.
and it that a 20" or 22".

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
do you still own those drums Pebble..when did you get them..
same era as the 1971's I had, 8x14 390 holders.
and it that a 20" or 22".
Yes, just got them a cpl months ago here in the local MD market. Standard 303 kit, 12 14 16 20, with the parallel action 2000 snare, likely CoA.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice choice! Ok Kevin, I'll take credit for your inspiration. Think you saw this...
fella at VDF owns this; you need it Pebbles : ) ? can't see what snare you're using there with your Burgundy's..

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think I made the right call.

The final decision was the result of a confluence of things. I wanted a wrap I didn't already have, I found a source for this Chinese wrap that had it in stock already in the USA, his pricing was reasonable, it was the same, or very close to, a wrap that Premier did offer at around the time my drums would have been made, it was a "large chip" version of the wrap (important to me) and I liked the way I figured it would look against the classic Premier chrome.

I came very close to getting the sky blue version as a sort of tribute of sorts to the aquamarine sparkle. But sky blue isn't quite aquamarine and pearl isn't sparkle. Also it wasn't a wrap available back in the day. Dark blue was another option, either in the oyster swirl version I posted about earlier or as a marine pearl version. Premier did do a dark blue marine pearl at one point but the seller I found was sold out on that wrap. That left the red which he did have in stock and which very much resembled the "Burgundy Pearl" I found in the back of my old Premier catalogs. While many of the other options I looked at seemed like they might be fun, in the end I seem to be a traditionalist and very much favor using a wrap that the original manufacturer used (or something very close). I checked out some online pictures of original sets in that wrap and found a video on youtube of a guy playing such a set and decided to move in that direction.

I'm happy I did, or at least I am so far with the one tom done. This morning I stripped the bass drum to do next. Once again the black wrap pretty much fell off the drum once the hardware was removed and the overlap seams opened but left behind another shell slathered with whatever glue they had tried to use. Another bout of sanding will have to ensue, whenever it's cool enough to be outside to do it. I'm thinking of leaving the silver sparkle inlays in place of the hoops as a contrast but we'll see. I'll have enough wrap to cut new inlays if need be.

This wrap is oversized compared to the standard sheets at 27x 64 (vs. 24x52) so three sheets (@ $53 each) should be enough for the four drums plus another floor tom and maybe a matching wood snare if I ever come across one to redo or build one from scratch. It's a bit of a different animal from the Delmar product. The color is all the way through, there is no opaque backing, nor clear cover coat. It's basically a thicker version of what would be the center of a Delmar lamination. It works though and looks nice, has that vintage smell too. The large format chip pattern has the right look. To my eye the small chip marine pearls that have predominated in recent years is the reason I steer clear. I much prefer the vintage look of the larger versions.

Anyway, progress is being made, slowly but surely....and hey, what's the rush anyhow?

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t that era of Premier elegant? Notice how the design of the tension rods are such that the threads disappear into the lug.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t that era of Premier elegant? Notice how the design of the tension rods are such that the threads disappear into the lug.
Yes, at first I was like "how can that work?" But the threaded part is thicker than the rest, what a nice touch.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are going to look amazing! Great choice. Can't wait to see the whole set!
Working on the bass drum right now. Sanding and sanding to get the dang glue from the previous rewrap off. It makes a lot of dust that clings to the shell. The dust hides the glue and I think I've got it all until I blow away the dust with an air compressor only to see there's plenty of glue residue left. I'll get there. I continue to direct internal "happy thoughts" towards whomever did the previous rewrap. :)

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on the bass drum right now. Sanding and sanding to get the dang glue from the previous rewrap off. It makes a lot of dust that clings to the shell. The dust hides the glue and I think I've got it all until I blow away the dust with an air compressor only to see there's plenty of glue residue left. I'll get there. I continue to direct internal "happy thoughts" towards whomever did the previous rewrap. :)

“Bless their heart”.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score

Is it deep in the grain pores? What's the out ply made of?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrap won’t just cover that up ???