header.nohb.html

Premier Project

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it deep in the grain pores? What's the out ply made of?
Outer ply is mahogany (all 3 plies are mahogany). Whatever glue he used is unlike typical contact cement. It's more like a resin sort of stuff that he glommed on pretty thick. It set to a thick light brown layer on top of the outer ply. It's hard as a rock and stuck firmly but didn't soak into the wood. It also didn't really stick to the wrap either so it was sort of a worthless endeavor on his part. 80 grit sandpaper chews through it pretty quickly but there's a lot of it there. One of the less fun aspects of this particular rewrap but at least it didn't pull off chunks of the outer ply as sometimes happens.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrap won’t just cover that up ???
It's not an even coating. When they applied the wrap it pushed the wet glue around into weird patterns. In some spots the mahogany is nearly bare in others the glue is 1/16th" thick. The wrap could hide some of it but it would be a half a$$ job.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not an even coating. When they applied the wrap it pushed the wet glue around into weird patterns. In some spots the mahogany is nearly bare in others the glue is 1/16th" thick. The wrap could hide some of it but it would be a half a$$ job.
I can’t find the smilies emojis …:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Outer ply is mahogany (all 3 plies are mahogany). Whatever glue he used is unlike typical contact cement. It's more like a resin sort of stuff that he glommed on pretty thick. It set to a thick light brown layer on top of the outer ply. It's hard as a rock and stuck firmly but didn't soak into the wood. It also didn't really stick to the wrap either so it was sort of a worthless endeavor on his part. 80 grit sandpaper chews through it pretty quickly but there's a lot of it there. One of the less fun aspects of this particular rewrap but at least it didn't pull off chunks of the outer ply as sometimes happens.
Why aren't you trying a stripper like citrus strip?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Almost sounds as if he put it on with a paint sprayer.
If you don't know how to work those, it's really easy to get random thick and thin spots.
I used a paint sprayer to apply the glue to the floor of the boats I used to build, when I laid carpeting in them.
That stuff was kind of a "brown mustard" colour.
Back in the 70's (maybe still?) 3M made an adhesive caulk that was dark brown. If someone applied it with a caulking gun, then did an amateur job of spreading it around, I suppose you could get the same thck/thin areas result.
That stuff would dry pretty hard, too.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tried that and it didn't seem to make a dent. Acetone and steel wool kinda works but almost makes a bigger mess.

Damn. That's crazy. I havnt found much yet that citrus strip doesn't work on. That sucks.
What a pain! Good luck, sounds like elbow grease might be what the doctor orders.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHOOHOO, WHAT A GREAT COLOR CHOICE KO! That was a wonderful direction that I for one did not see coming... now get back to the sanding!

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an incredible look, so beautiful.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Working on the bass drum right now. Sanding and sanding to get the dang glue from the previous rewrap off. It makes a lot of dust that clings to the shell. The dust hides the glue and I think I've got it all until I blow away the dust with an air compressor only to see there's plenty of glue residue left. I'll get there. I continue to direct internal "happy thoughts" towards whomever did the previous rewrap. :)
Tell me about it! It took me about 8 hours of stripping and sanding to get my bass drum when I reskinned it. And considering it was a rewrap that was coming loose, I never thought the previous owner would be so thorough in his gluing.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it! It took me about 8 hours of stripping and sanding to get my bass drum when I reskinned it. And considering it was a rewrap that was coming loose, I never thought the previous owner would be so thorough in his gluing.
That's kind of where I'm at. The drums required a new rewrap because the wrap bubbled. The wrap bubbled because the glue didn't stick to it, despite being applied rather thickly. So the previous owner was quite thorough with his gluing, but used the wrong glue, making the whole process kind of moot and leaving the previously described mess behind to deal with.

They also failed to scuff up the back side of the black wrap which, in my experience, is critical to getting good adhesion. Even the correct type of glue has trouble sticking to shiny smooth wrap. Going over the back side of any wrap (except satin flames, don't sand those) once with some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper makes a big difference in getting a good grip on the shell.

I'm close on the bass drum and might get the new wrap on tonight. Then the floor tom will be next. I'll try to get a picture or two of the "joy" that lies underneath the wrap when I strip that drum.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
KO,

Could you use an electric sander, like a palm sander, on those shells or would that be too much for the job?
Might not be much faster, but I thought it might be easier on you than just using sheets of sandpaper.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO,

Could you use an electric sander, like a palm sander, on those shells or would that be too much for the job?
Might not be much faster, but I thought it might be easier on you than just using sheets of sandpaper.
Very easy to get flat spots or make it out of round with an electric sander. Plus the paper gums up quickly and you have to change it out frequently. Everything I read about rewrapping drums recommends not using an electric sander.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even by hand it's super easy to sand right through the outer ply. On a Ludwig or Slingerland you'll see the poplar (which means you've already gone too far). On these drums with mahogany all the way through I'm not sure how you'd even know.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress today...

20220730_184637.jpg

20220730_184940.jpg

Got the bass drum done today. Next comes the 16x16 but I may hold off a few days before tackling another drum. No real reason to hurry.

Still on the fence as to whether the silver sparkle inlays are a nifty contrast or a garish mismatch.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea that's going to be a happy set.

I loved those spurs the 26 years I pounded on them never ever budge (on a green golf ribbed mat...) Flexed..but never gave. (drum would move-out but come right -back) fantastic

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress today...

View attachment 574770

View attachment 574771

Got the bass drum done today. Next comes the 16x16 but I may hold off a few days before tackling another drum. No real reason to hurry.

Still on the fence as to whether the silver sparkle inlays are a nifty contrast or a garish mismatch.
Looking great! On the topic of the bass hoop inlays I think it would look great with the matching red pearl.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Progress today...

View attachment 574770

View attachment 574771

Hey, you do nice work!
The patterning on the wrap is excellent.
Did you get that from Precision?
I like the silver sparkle inlay, too.
I don't think it looks out of place.