Premier resonators

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently dragged these home.. one of them says March 1987 under the inner shell...
Is there anyone here that’s familiar with resonators? Should the inner shells be glued to the spacer block that’s behind the seam? There seemed to be a small dab of glue holding them in, but the liner popped out very easily.
(I’m only removing them so I can get the hardware off for cleaning)

Anyway, they’re pretty neat drums. The build quality Looks great, the chrome is bulletproof, it just needs to be polished

Attachments

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well ... my experience is the inner shells stay put without glue. There were a few that stated their shells were glued in. So, there ya go.
The cut for the inner shell is very precise and that is enough to keep it in place. But, evidently a few have been located with glue ... whether from the factory (which is up for debate) or a personal end user choice.
Bottom line ... they are freekin great drums!
Congratulations!
Very neato.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The inner shells are not supposed to be glued. They just fit in there under their own tension.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven’t taken the bass apart yet, but it looks like the 16” has no glue, and the 13” has a small dab of glue. Maybe it was being naughty at the factory and the builder had to throw glue in there.
Also the premier bass drum claws seem to have a design flaw where they cave in on themselves under tension? The “L rods” hit the claw itself when they rotate past it. I can probably just put some fatter washers in there to cure it

Attachments

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have removed and inserted about 20 of those liners. Never saw any signs of glue on my early 80's Black Shadow drums.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven’t taken the bass apart yet, but it looks like the 16” has no glue, and the 13” has a small dab of glue. Maybe it was being naughty at the factory and the builder had to throw glue in there.
Also the premier bass drum claws seem to have a design flaw where they cave in on themselves under tension? The “L rods” hit the claw itself when they rotate past it. I can probably just put some fatter washers in there to cure it
Will looks at my claws and rods today. From memory, I don't think they hit one another. Maybe yours were over tightened at some point.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
As long as the claws aren't cracked just get some tension rod washers from DFD and put one or two per rod as needed. Premier used very thin washers on their tension rods so using some normal thickness ones should correct the problem.

As far as the inner liners, the drums will probably sound better with them removed. I have no experience with Resonators but I am not sure if they actually improved the sound or not. I remember when Neil Peart was auditioning new drums for his new drum kit to replace the red Tamas, one of the drums that he tried were a set of Resonators. I think the words he used that they were anything but resonant. He asked Premier if he could remove the liners but they said no so he passed on Premier and went with Ludwig. Had they let him, who knows, he may have gone with Premier instead.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
As long as the claws aren't cracked just get some tension rod washers from DFD and put one or two per rod as needed. Premier used very thin washers on their tension rods so using some normal thickness ones should correct the problem.

As far as the inner liners, the drums will probably sound better with them removed. I have no experience with Resonators but I am not sure if they actually improved the sound or not. I remember when Neil Peart was auditioning new drums for his new drum kit to replace the red Tamas, one of the drums that he tried were a set of Resonators. I think the words he used that they were anything but resonant. He asked Premier if he could remove the liners but they said no so he passed on Premier and went with Ludwig. Had they let him, who knows, he may have gone with Premier instead.
The idea of this whole setup “resonating” is a head scratcher... maybe the liner does vibrate enough to make it sound good(?)
I’ve heard some premier guys rave about how much projection you get out of these.. but again, it seems like a free-to-vibrate drum shell with an iso Mount and low mass lugs would resonate much better than this setup

ZiggyM

Reaction score
Resonators were developed by a guy callled Alan Gilby a respected drum builder who had a company called Richmo Drums in 1972.
He was responsible for several innovations in drum design. He is worth researching.
Resonators, as far as I know are still being built today.
I got a 12" shell built by him some years ago...nice piece of work. It ended up as a snare drum.
There's a story that when Moon was in his pomp with the Who. He would take delivery of the Premier stuff, and send them up to Alan, who would strip them down and replace the shells with his own, put everything back in place and send them back. Who knows ??

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Resonators were developed by a guy callled Alan Gilby a respected drum builder who had a company called Richmo Drums in 1972.
He was responsible for several innovations in drum design. He is worth researching.
Resonators, as far as I know are still being built today.
I got a 12" shell built by him some years ago...nice piece of work. It ended up as a snare drum.
There's a story that when Moon was in his pomp with the Who. He would take delivery of the Premier stuff, and send them up to Alan, who would strip them down and replace the shells with his own, put everything back in place and send them back. Who knows ??
Premier shut down UK manufacturing in 2015 and I think they hadn't made Resonators in quite a few years before that.

Vibes

Reaction score
I have a set of early resonators in polychromatic red. 24" 13" 14" 16". My toms had the inserts but the bass drum did not. I removed the inserts to strip and clean them and never put them back in. These drums without the inserts have tone and sustain like you would not believe. I have so many sets now I am going to sell these if anyone on here is interested.

Attachments

pgm554

Reaction score
The idea of this whole setup “resonating” is a head scratcher... maybe the liner does vibrate enough to make it sound good(?)
I’ve heard some premier guys rave about how much projection you get out of these.. but again, it seems like a free-to-vibrate drum shell with an iso Mount and low mass lugs would resonate much better than this setup
Worst sounding EXPENSIVE kit I ever played.
Could not get the toms to tune.

Last edited:

pgm554

Reaction score
The kit I played was a translucent yellow resonator at Guitar Center in Orange county.
No matter how it was tuned ,it sucked.
Maybe you got a good one,but the term wet cardboard shoe box came to mind when struck.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know how premier applied the finishes on these? It looks like a thick paint, but when I touch some parts of the outer ply, I can feel it popping up and down, like a wrap that’s coming unglued.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know how premier applied the finishes on these? It looks like a thick paint, but when I touch some parts of the outer ply, I can feel it popping up and down, like a wrap that’s coming unglued.
In my experience, most (but not all) Resonators in the '70's were wrapped.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
The inner shells are not supposed to be glued. They just fit in there under their own tension.
And as I've pointed out many times, my mid-70's Resonators have liners that are glued AND nailed in.
Has anyone else run across this?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the 80's, I think the Black Shadows may have had more lacquer finishes. Bandit might have some insight into this.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the 80's, I think the Black Shadows may have had more lacquer finishes. Bandit might have some insight into this.
My drums are white and it looks like it’s some type of painted on finish or some type of thick gelcoat of some sort. There’s a bunch of Tom rash on the bass drum and it simply looks like the damage went through a painted finish and into the wood, I will take pictures later

Latest posts