Premier

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What series was Premier making in England roughly 20-23 years ago?

gdaileda

Reaction score
I think you're right. Signia and Genista came a bit earlier. I've never understood what happened to the popularity of Premier drums in the USA. They had a large following at one time especially among American jazz drummers in the 50s - 70s. I've heard that the people who run Premier lately are wildly incompetent. They even lost Steve White as an endorser when he switched to Yamaha (2010s); this after him having a hand in the design of Premier hardware and lugs. To top it off, the British Drum Co. has left Premier in the dust. The main guys and gals at BDC came from Premier and quit in frustration, so I've been told. Don't get me wrong. I love Premier drums. In fact, I own a huge set of Premier Elites from 1979 that I would never part with. Finally, Premier has not updated their website in about 10 years.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Premier is a mere skeleton of its former self. They had many financial problems over the years but were doing well after Yamaha bought the company but that was only temporary. Then they were sold again and again. I love the glory of old Premier and have 2 kits.

Last edited:

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Were the black interior painted Prem shells an entry level or as some claim, a decent mid level drum?
I cant recall the series but they are English made.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Were the black interior painted Prem shells an entry level or as some claim, a decent mid level drum?
I can’t speak for all the Premier series in the 80s but I had a APK kit in stained “rosewood” finish. The shell interiors were painted black.

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe it is the Elite/Classic series as I own a kit from 2003. Just had a rehearsal using them with the under-sized maple shells and heads that are 8 years old. I can tell you that they are on par with any top line.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All it says on the badge is Premier percussion, made in England, in a red "P",and the toms appear to be "power toms"..wish i knew more about them before i make a long drive???

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nothing to see here, move along...found out they are APK, Luuan wood. Nice kit for banging around, if you need it, but i have to say no one, maybe other than Sonor, put out hardware of this quality, even on a budget kit.
Could be that was one of their problems??

mpthomson

Reaction score
Premier is a mere skeleton of its former self. They had many financial problems over the years but were doing well after Yamaha bought the company but that was only temporary. Then they were sold again and again. I love the glory of old Premier and have 2 kits.

It's now been bought by a very large UK based online music retailer called Gear4Music, so I suspect that what is branded Premier will remain as basically stencil far eastern kits. I doubt we'll see the individuality or top end drums again.

mpthomson

Reaction score
Nothing to see here, move along...found out they are APK, Luuan wood. Nice kit for banging around, if you need it, but i have to say no one, maybe other than Sonor, put out hardware of this quality, even on a budget kit.
Could be that was one of their problems??
If it's a late 80s/ early 90s kit from when Premier was owned by Yamaha, all the hardware is basically Yamaha hardware with a Premier badge on it.

mpthomson

Reaction score
They were Premier's entry point at that time and sold at the same level as Exports and Swingstars, but actually way better than that and more than a few Premier endorsers recorded with them. They're a bit of a bargain second hand if in good nick as they're reliable and durable and as long as you love deep toms!.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's now been bought by a very large UK based online music retailer called Gear4Music, so I suspect that what is branded Premier will remain as basically stencil far eastern kits. I doubt we'll see the individuality or top end drums again.
I’d agree and feel that what once was high-end Premier is now being continued through the British Drum Company.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Premier hasbeen bought by Gear4music indeed.

A huge player like Thomann.

They have the finances. Lets see how it will go in the future.

Also this was posted in a Premier group:
Having now been fully read in on this, I am VERY excited about this. Karen and Colin are still involved and those of us involved on the business side are seeing zero interruptions. Big things are coming for a certain milestone. Stay tuned.

mpthomson

Reaction score
Premier hasbeen bought by Gear4music indeed.

A huge player like Thomann.

They have the finances. Lets see how it will go in the future.

Also this was posted in a Premier group:
However G4M is solely an online retailer so whilst it may have the finances, it certainly won't have the interest in manufacture, it doesn't manufacture anything in the same way that Thomann doesn't directly manufacture anything. All its products bearing the G4M logo are bought off the shelf or sub-contracted in the Far East and then branded. They own no manufacturing facility (as was the case with Premier prior to this sale, it was all sub-contracted).

The comment in the Prem group is from the chap who was/is Premier's recently appointed distributor in the US and who managed to order a small number of kits a month or so ago. G4M is online only, so unless you live in York where they have a showroom as part of the warehouse, Premier kits are not going to be appearing in a drum shop near you either in the UK or Europe.

Basically Premier will become the house brand for what were previously G4M's own brand kits, plus the Genistas may stagger on for a bit longer. G4M won't have any interest in the pro/top end stuff, they can get that from other manufacturers and making their own doesn't fit their model.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
However G4M is solely an online retailer so whilst it may have the finances, it certainly won't have the interest in manufacture, it doesn't manufacture anything in the same way that Thomann doesn't directly manufacture anything. All its products bearing the G4M logo are bought off the shelf or sub-contracted in the Far East and then branded. They own no manufacturing facility (as was the case with Premier prior to this sale, it was all sub-contracted).

The comment in the Prem group is from the chap who was/is Premier's recently appointed distributor in the US and who managed to order a small number of kits a month or so ago. G4M is online only, so unless you live in York where they have a showroom as part of the warehouse, Premier kits are not going to be appearing in a drum shop near you either in the UK or Europe.

Basically Premier will become the house brand for what were previously G4M's own brand kits, plus the Genistas may stagger on for a bit longer. G4M won't have any interest in the pro/top end stuff, they can get that from other manufacturers and making their own doesn't fit their model.

Maybe.

We will have to see. Its to earlysay it will be terrible or be super. But at least lets be positive and see what the future can bring.

Most sales are being done online these days and Premier/G4M is European, so it would make sense to have them release locally here first or in more quantities before the US.

Just like Premier still does custom orders here in Europe.

Unless you work for G4M and know their future path.

mpthomson

Reaction score
Maybe.

We will have to see. Its to earlysay it will be terrible or be super. But at least lets be positive and see what the future can bring.

Most sales are being done online these days and Premier/G4M is European, so it would make sense to have them release locally here first or in more quantities before the US.

Just like Premier still does custom orders here in Europe.

Unless you work for G4M and know their future path.
I wish I could be more positive. Will there be more kits around with a Premier badge? almost certainly. Will be they be in any way as innovative and sometimes wacky as the Premier we all loved in the 1950s-90s? Almost certainly not.

G4M is online ONLY in the UK and Europe, no large online retailer is going to be opening stores any time soon as it competes directly with their core business model but with a higher cost base, in addition large stores of all types are closing all over the place in the UK. They make reference to why they prefer this non-physical shop model in the article you linked to.

I'm fairly sure that custom orders will disappear very rapidly too, again that just doesn't fit in with a large online retailer's business model (stack 'em high, flog them more cheaply than a physical shop).