premiere super olympic

noisintheloft

Reaction score
Is there anyone on here that owns a set of super olympics? I have a set in polychromatic blue. Sizes are 22,13,14,16 with matching snare. Bass drum and snare are 10 lug. Im very impressed by mine and think premiere is under rated in general. I was told that my drums are 3 or 4 norwegan birch with beech re-rings by a collector from england. I dont know much about them. as far as i know they were only made for a year or two. Thanks

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
where the heck are you pulling these from, my dad always told me that Premiere drums were the best drums made during the 60's and 70's I dont know anything about your kit, but I do know they diddnt make junk.

noisintheloft

Reaction score
are you refering to the fact that i have a camco and a super oly? I guess im just lucky. I have to get rid of 1 kit not sure which one. Im leaning on selling the camcos. I like the sizes on the olympic and the snare sounds just like a ludwig supraphonic. Yeah i have a supraphonic 400 too its from 74 b/o badge. I have kents too. Imo the premiere is better than the camco...not looking to start a debate but every drum company made 3 ply maple shells with re-rings in the 50's 60's and early 70's. So what makes them special. The mounting hardware wasnt good and still people like to argue that ludwig or gretsch or rogers or slingerland made the superior drum. But one thing i can tell you is that i never played on a kit that soynds or feels like the super olympics,and at 35 years old ive played on brand new and vintage all brands. Just my 2 cents lol

noisintheloft

Reaction score
ive been looking for a kit for that 1 kit for about 10 years. Had ludwigs tama mapex and cheap mij kits. Im at a point where i have these 2 now and room for 1

ian-40

Reaction score
attn mr noisintheloft......... its PREMIER not premiere

anyway, the Super Olympic was a shortlived run between 76/77. I have a 'super' snare drum, 10 lug (bottom of photo) with a lovely blue P badge. you dont see many of the full kits about, i would have one in an instant if the chance arose :notworthy:

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a Super Olympic and a Premier kit. My first kit was a second hand 70s Olympic and the main difference between it and a Premier was the bass only had six lugs. That was the best sounding bass drum I've ever had! I don't think they had Super Olympic over here, was it just an American thing?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
In the great tradition of classic drums, those lower end Olympic kits had the same exact shells as the top of the line kits. They had six lugs on the bass drum and they didn't have the die cast hoops. They were great drums.

noisintheloft

Reaction score
I will post pics tomorrow night. From the research i have done super olympics were done between. 76 and 77. The bass drum is 22" 10 lug 13&14" toms 16" floor tom. I have the matching 10 lug snare and the matching hi hat stand.the wrap is called polychromatic blue. From what i could find in online cataloge pages my kit closely matches the premiere elite kit in the 77 cataloge.same lugs only differance is i have black mounts on the toms and floor tom as opposed to chrome.also from what i was told premiere had the chrome work for all their drums done by the same factory that did chrome work for jaguar. Hands down best sounding drums i ever played on

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
since we are talking olympics
here are my rewrapped premier olympic 20 ,olympic snare with generic strainer ,and 13 ,16 toms ,probably later year

you are right about the bass drum,best sounding kick i own

noisintheloft

Reaction score
I recieved an email last night from a gentleman from the uk who runs an olympic web site. He seems to have a lot of knowledge on olympics and told me my set is quite rare. Just made me happy. Lol. I was told my kit is norwegian birch with beech re-rings. Pics coming

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
thanks for that link,i think i have properly identified them as 62 bass drum ,77,snare ,and 74 toms