Pretty cool 1969 players grade Ludwig Super Classic up for grabs - worth it or no?

UptownShakedown

Reaction score

I'm cool with most of the beauty marks here as I'm looking for something to play, not put it in a museum. I love the faded WMP, wraps seems OK and like it could be cleaned up of scuffs as well as the hoops could use a repaint. Curious what the group thinks and if this is a good example/price for a player grade Ludwig Super Classic. The below sound is what I'm going for - thanks!

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's accepting offers, so if you toss him a reasonable one, he would probably take it. And if you are close where you can pick up, even better.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
$700 tops. Lots of x-holes, hoops worn, and it appears that the FT was on its side and collected a bit 'o water for a while (2nd to last slide. Usually something you see on the bottom of basement-dwelling-after-flooding BD's). Seller does appear to be forthcoming about things - a good sign.

Edward

Reaction score
Get one with the painted interior. Those have the mahogany poplar mahogany 3 ply shells. The clear interior are maple and a completely different sound.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Get one with the painted interior. Those have the mahogany poplar mahogany 3 ply shells. The clear interior are maple and a completely different sound.
Which do you think the Steve Maxwell example is?

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which do you think the Steve Maxwell example is?
In that video, it appears that Steve says it is a 1966 example; others can correct me if wrong but you are looking for ones with white painted interiors and 1967 and back...I think in mid 1968, Ludwig went to clear interiors and maple wood

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The painted interior drums may have maple interiors. Typically they would be mahogany but they used maple as interior plies too. That was one of the reasons for the white paint. They wanted to have a uniform interior look regardless of which wood they happened to use so all the drums in a set would match even if they were different layups.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys keep talking about old Ludwigs (60s) and I'm going to want one again..
No.......

It's been so long I actually forget their good points.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that kit from late 1968. Mine is pretty pristine. It pains me to see some of that damage. Some of it can be fixed like the edges but some of course cannot like the holes in the bass drum. I agree $700 tops plus ship.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘67 22-12-13-16 set that had the white interiors. In my youth, I completely refinished them inside and out (i.e. stupidly removed the white paint and date stamp). The 12 had a maple inner ply, the others had a mahogany inner ply. I think Ludwig used “whatever they had” for the ply makeup. For whatever that’s worth.

But, if you’re into that soft attack, voluminous mid-palate, melodic sound, these are among the best drums available.

$950 seems a tad steep to me.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many extra holes. For at most a couple hundred more you can buy an Un-Holy one. I recall a guy in my area with a cool 12,14,20 mid-60's WMP Luddy with some light mods - and they looked great - he tried for months to get $1000 for them.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peeps here are probably right about the price, but that shop is pretty great and the owner (Ben) might be flexible on this player.

For the record, I prefer the clear interior shells. Biblically.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Peeps here are probably right about the price, but that shop is pretty great and the owner (Ben) might be flexible on this player.

For the record, I prefer the clear interior shells. Biblically.
Yeh, though I own an early 60's Downbeat kit, this late 60's maple-insides have a unique sound. A little more crisp bite/bright. It has its charm, for sure, and really is a different flavor than the mahogany interior drums. We all should own both, to keep things in balance!