Preventing Hi Hat key-holing

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Just posting out of curiosity here, I know I always get plenty of useful answers on this forum, so here goes:

I treasure my gear and do my best to take good care of it. I often play on backline kits, where I just bring my cymbals, snare and pedal. I've gotten into the practice of using grombals on my cymbals, which are a great product that prevents key-holing and makes it easy to mount my cymbals without worrying about the condition of the cymbal stands and sleeves. They've done a great job of protecting my cymbals, but it seems there's no equivalent for the hi hat. I have a few different hi hat clutches, and all of them are made of metal. Thus there is metal on metal contact happening between my clutch and top hat. While I'm sure it isn't as much of a concern as on other types of cymbals, I was wondering if anyone has encountered the issue of hi hat key-holing, or has any suggestions of how to prevent it.

Thanks

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In playing drums for over 50 years, I've never key-holed a cymbal ever. I'm like you when it comes to protecting gear at every turn. Another angle would be to turn your gear more often if you keep it until it starts to wear or in most cases, I wouldn't worry about it.

Good question, however!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just bring my cymbals
Bring your hi hat clutch too; tho may not fit on all rods
of how to prevent it.
where the cymbal sits on the Clutch the metal shaft is Smooth. In "days gone by" that was threaded hence creating the keyhole.

keyhole on hi hat cymbals was globally eradicated (thru a large education program) I believe around 1971
although some guys I'm sure have found ways to abuse their hi hat cymbals

Last edited:

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Bring your hi hat clutch too; tho may not fit on all rods

where the cymbal sits on the Clutch the metal shaft is Smooth. In "days gone by" that was threaded hence creating the keyhole.

keyhole on hi hat cymbals was globally eradicated (thru a large education program) I believe around 1971
although some guys I'm sure have found other ways to abuse their hi hat cymbals
Forgot to mention that I do bring my own clutch. I had assumed the problem was any metal on metal contact, but I can see how rubbing against a piece of threaded metal would be far worse. While I am an educator myself, I must have missed that comprehensive sounding program due to my late date of birth ten years later.

Thanks for your reassurance that my problems aren't real and my threads superfluous!

Reactions: JDA

ThomasL

Reaction score
I put heat shrink tube on the part of the clutch where the top cymbal sits. One layer is usually all that fits, so you might have to renew it every few years.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
The clutch that comes with the Tama Classic hihat stand has plastic on the part where there is contact with the cymbal. To be honest, I've yet to see a keyholed top hat.

/Magnus

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the mid-70's I purchased new a Capelle/Pro Mark hi hat. It is still in use, retired to everyday use in my practice room after a few thousand gigs from '77-'97, when some of its chrome started to flake. It's one fault is that its clutch is threaded. It badly keyholed my excellent 15" New Beats, bought new in '76. I still have the cymbals, too, but Lawton's got the top one now, putting a non-restrictive grommet on it. Though not a "stoopit rocker," I was just a kid and not aware of what was going on till it was too late. The keyhole is almost 1/8" out-of-circle. Those thinnish 15's sound like buttah, no doubt. I have never keyholed any other cymbals.

Your concern is well-placed. The threat is real.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tended to keep my top hat fairly tight on the clutch. Not real tight but firmly held. Many like it very loose and sloshy. I suspect all that slosh will multiply the wear rate by quite a bit.