Price check - Ludwig Standards

kallen49

Reaction score
My understanding is are some Ludwig Standards with classic lugs and others, (the majority?) with “standard“ lugs which are less desirable.
In 2012 I bought a set of standard shells, (stripped for the valuable classic lugs), for $50. Spent $100’s to restore. Lesson learned.
So my feeling is that’s a high price for those but maybe th3 market has changed?

abryantp

Reaction score
Good sets and were a line of drums created to appeal to beginners/a lower budget drummer. The main differences, as Kallen alluded to, are the lugs. I have also heard lesser quality of wood - interiors should be Granitone (a textured type paint).

With that being said - I'm sure you can get a great sound out of them and they definitely have the mojo factor with the interesting wraps.

I would contemplate holding out for a higher quality set for a couple hundred more. Or you might just come across a super classic or downbeat for a similar price if you are patient!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might be a fair asking price if the drum shells and finish are mint and the kit/hardware need nothing. They look pretty nice in those photos. Might be able to get them to toss in the nice original hardware and still pay no more than $800. With cases and hardware they are asking in the $1100-$1200 range. In the same area later last year I saw a one owner, very well kept, '69 silver sparkle Ludwig Hollywood std sized kit go for $1400....and that had double rack tom, nice Supra snare, Zildjian cymbals, hardware and cases.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The standard lug drums are not less desirable. Those are the lugs that are, well, standard for the Standards kits. The classic lug drums are less common, because supposedly Ludwig would only use the classic lugs when they were out of the Standard lugs, which could make them more valuable to the right person. If that set has a wood snare in the same finish (I can't see it in the photo) then that's a pretty good deal. Even if it has a Standard metal shell drum, that's a desirable set in one of the desirable finishes. Those are the same shells as those used in the Classic line. Since these are from the era when the Classics had clear interiors, they may have used the shells that weren't cosmetically as attractive for the Standards and painted them, but that does not mean that they are lower quality shells. If you are looking for a Standard kit for yourself, that's pretty decent. You could offer $750.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good sets and were a line of drums created to appeal to beginners/a lower budget drummer. The main differences, as Kallen alluded to, are the lugs. I have also heard lesser quality of wood - interiors should be Granitone (a textured type paint).

With that being said - I'm sure you can get a great sound out of them and they definitely have the mojo factor with the interesting wraps.

I would contemplate holding out for a higher quality set for a couple hundred more. Or you might just come across a super classic or downbeat for a similar price if you are patient!
Yeah, I love the red strata wrap.

kallen49

Reaction score
The standard lug drums are not less desirable. Those are the lugs that are, well, standard for the Standards kits. The classic lug drums are less common, because supposedly Ludwig would only use the classic lugs when they were out of the Standard lugs, which could make them more valuable to the right person. If that set has a wood snare in the same finish (I can't see it in the photo) then that's a pretty good deal. Even if it has a Standard metal shell drum, that's a desirable set in one of the desirable finishes. Those are the same shells as those used in the Classic line. Since these are from the era when the Classics had clear interiors, they may have used the shells that weren't cosmetically as attractive for the Standards and painted them, but that does not mean that they are lower quality shells. If you are looking for a Standard kit for yourself, that's pretty decent. You could offer $750.
ok I guess I should have said standard lugs are “less desirable to me”, because I much prefer the appearance of Classic Ludwig lugs and I’ve seen multiple references on forums to those lugs being less sturdy, (tendency to cracking?) but I could wrong about that.
Yes really desirable wrap. It does seem that any Ludwigs pre 1990 are keeping value.
two blue strata drums for sale in London Ontario

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the snare is a matching wood one it is not a bad price at all- you don’t see a lot of single tom Standards come up for sale these days.

That tom arm alone is a $75-$100 piece.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nice wrap. Sound wise they would sound just like a Ludwig Super Classic set. From that perspective it's a pretty decent deal. Might be a bit high for the Standard market but these drums have been on the rise for a while now.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Just a bit high without the snare, but I believe that wrap is somewhat scarce so that does help. Hardware included? As stated above, I bet he’d take $700-$750. Great drums!

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
If the drums seem to be in good shape, I'd offer $500 without the snare. If they come back with something like $700, I'd counter with $600 with the snare.

One great thing about the Standard lugs, hardware and rims is that they are all lightweight. You will be hard pressed to find a kit that weighs less than the Ludwig Standard. Probably pound-for-pound (both in weight pounds and money pounds) some of the best drums ever produced.