Price feedback on Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of selling my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit. This is a Japanese / Sakae made kit with square hook lugs and YESS II mounts. I'll be very sorry to see this kit go (if I let it go), however, needs change and mine have. I'm wondering how you all feel about my price. Components are as follow:

10x7 RT
12x8 RT
14x13 FT
16x15 FT

20x16 BD
18x14 BD

14x6 SD

The finish is a gorgeous turquoise sparkle lacquer (not a wrap; sparkle lacquer). Entire kit is in immaculate condition. No hoop rash. No dings anywhere.

I'm thinking of pricing the entire kit at $4k USD or splitting it up and pricing each half at around $2K. What do you think? Is my price too high? Too low? Just right?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

R

RickP

In this economic environment, I would say your pricing is too high. I agree they are fine drums, but I think you will probably be looking to receive more like $2500 for the kit. I am also taking into account the unique finish which may or may not be a selling feature. Usually traditional finishes like black lacquer, natural maple, silver sparkle etc. have a wider group of admirers.
Trying to sell high end gear these days is tough, many collectors are liquidating and not buying.people,are also trying to barter more than outright purchase. You may be better off trying to swap your kit with someone for something you like better.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well it is Spring and prices rise..

How about a picture of these girls Thanksx

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd try to list all of it and see what kind of interest it generates. It seems tough to sell anything these days used over the about the $1500 mark. Just be prepared for the low ballers, which will no doubt come.

imthebeat

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, 10, 12, 14, 22, w/5.5 x 14" snare, Vintage Natural finish, excellent condition for $1500 shipped. Older version with absolute lugs and Dyna Hoops.

I think at least $2500 shipped to the right buyer is possible, especially with the 18" and 20" bass drums.

or to maximize value,

split it, (10, 12, 16, 20 with the snare?) and sell the 14" floor tom and 18" bass drum separately, to a buyer wanting to add or sub sizes, although the finish might be an impediment.

S

skinsman

The hook lugs make it pretty desirable but in that price category things seem pretty sluggish right now. BUT those hook lugs will sell it. They always zoom out when they show up......unless of course they are on Phoenix.
Good luck on that sale!

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. At $2,500 I will think carefully before selling. It will be difficult to buy drums of similar quality for that amount. Why sell? I've got a number of kits and, frankly, none of them are really doing what I need presently. I'll probably have a small, custom-made kit built (by DW or someone of this ilk... Whitney drums is also a possibility) such that the drums are small, extremely lightweight, and portable.

The Yamaha MCA kit is lovely, but it's a heavy kit and I'm not using all the sizes. In fact, I'm mostly using the 18 inch bass drum along with other, non-Yamaha drums. The kit takes up a lot of storage space and the drums are too nice just to have them sitting and not getting the use they should be. Still, $2,500 is low. Two of the drums were custom ordered and those (alone) cost more than $2K. At a certain point the loss is big enough (to me) that it is more attractive to find another use for the kit. (i.e. Donating to a worthy cause, supporting a young and up-coming drummer, etc.)

I do like the idea of feeling out the market by listing the entire kit and seeing what bites I get. It would be a shame to break up such a nice kit so I'd rather sell it all together. I'm well aware of the low-ballers, traders, and "make installment payment" types, and I'm not interested. If I decide to sell, this will be a cash only transaction. The market where I live is somewhat stronger than America and Yamaha drums cost more here. Thus, I may do better than most here have suggested, but then again I agree high-end items like this are generally hard to sell.

Again, thanks for the feedback so far. Certainly, there's more to consider before going ahead.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Same boat, except mine are birch, had some tire kickers but no deal so far, I know the drums are worth more, but used is used. Good luck on the sale. I agree with all the above comments, just doesnt help our wallets.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like the perfect "gift" for an elderly drummer entering his retirement phase. I think highly of Yamaha gear and your sizes are perfect for any venue and genre'! I'll gladly give them a beautiful home here with me and I think Turquoise is an outstanding finish! Thank you!
Unless you want a shell that resonates more (rering 4 plies) you won't find a better 6ply shell than the Yamaha by Sakae! Plus you have the mij badges on them and their value will hold better than the Taiwanese or China made but you need to sit on them.
This is NOT the time to sell unless rarity is the focal point of the sale. Doc.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with selling the 14 and 18 separately. List them at a price you are comfortable with and let them ride.

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not really the same class but I just sold my early 2000 Beech customs 8,10, 12, 14 floor 16X20 bass with a high end Tama snare and hardware for $900cdn
The used market is dead. I have been trying to sell a 2 year old 5 piece Tama BB for 1200 for almost 5 months. Not even a nibble.
Wish you luck.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ian Anderson said:
Not really the same class but I just sold my early 2000 Beech customs 8,10, 12, 14 floor 16X20 bass with a high end Tama snare and hardware for $900cdn
The used market is dead. I have been trying to sell a 2 year old 5 piece Tama BB for 1200 for almost 5 months. Not even a nibble.
Wish you luck.
True. This is why I don't buy drums as an investment-I buy them to play. I have a super clean early 70's Rogers kit I'm considering selling, and I know I won't get what I want for them-which is considerably less than the going rate. I've been holding off and watching, hoping things get at least a little better.
Good luck with the sale!!

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
You may want to split up your drums by first selling the 20", 12" and 16" since these sizes you don't use that much. Keep the smaller ones that you use more often and once the larger ones sell, you could decide from there.

I was in a similar predicament about a year ago. I was trying to sell a very nice 5-piece Yamaha RC kit (10,12, 14, 16, 22). I listed it for $1,700 with free shipping and no bites. I had a LOT of people asking about buying the 16" floor tom. After about 10 months, I finally listed all the drums separately and I netted a little over 3K - and that's after taking into account shipping and Ebay fees.

I was amazed. The 16" floor tom went for over $1,000. There were a number of people who needed just one particular tom to complete their dream set, and I provided that tom. At first I felt a little bad breaking up a perfect kit, but in the end, my kit helped complete 5 kits belonging to some very happy drummers.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Breaking modern drums into singles can work if lots of people have the same kit in the same color. Can be a different thing when dealing with vintage singles, as some folks are willing to buy with the purpose of doing a rewrap...

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TDM,

Like anything ask top dollar and "dicker" down.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
[SIZE=12.000001907348633px]While high-end kits deliver much in the way of sound, looks, and quality, they are a bitch to unload without (usually) taking a major hit. Moreover, both the new and used market is glutted and prices are depressed, so few are getting asking price for anything at the moment. [/SIZE]

Leaving collectible/vintage/rare aside for the moment, in the used drum world there is a "sweet spot" that falls somewhere between $1000-$2000 USD. People who list high end kits like DW exotics, Sonor, Yamaha PHX, Yamaha MCA, Brady, etc, for prices in excess of that amount typically find themselves with no serious buyers. [SIZE=12.000001907348633px] A scour of eBay will prove that. [/SIZE]Those with more than $2,000 to spend on drums will often opt for a new kit, or wait for the opportunity of a seller of a high-end kit to drop their asking price considerably, as nearly everyone in the used drum market is looking for a "steal".

If I were selling this, this is how I'd do it:

Sell these as one kit: 10x7 RT, 12x8 RT, 14x13 FT, 20x16 BD = $1,500

Sell these separately: 18x14 BD = $450, 16x15 FT = $250, 14x6 SD = $350

Total: $2,550

The above prices are best outcome. Your kit has two things working against it: the Nuevo lugs (hook type) and the color (not that common so there aren't that many looking for add-ons)

Some recent eBay auctions (sold):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Percussion-/10172/i.html?_from=R40&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=yamaha+maple+custom&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Reactions: A J

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a used MCA kit with nouveau lugs a couple of years ago, 10-12-14-16-22 for $1,650. Kit is a cherry fade lacquer in great condition. As far as I was concerned, that was a killer deal, but I generally see these kits going for $1,500 - the low 2k range. Of course, the additional bass drum and snare help a lot, but I doubt you will get much more than $2,500 based on going rates. You never know though.

Attachments

felis

Reaction score
TDM said:
.... In fact, I'm mostly using the 18 inch bass drum along with other, non-Yamaha drums....
If they were mine, I'd split it into two kits. Keep the 18 inch bass drum, one mounted tom and one floor tom.

Sell the rest as a kit, or sell the other 3 drums as a shell pack and the snare separately.

I think you'd be very lucky to get 2K for the 4 leftover drums though, even though it sounds like they're well worth it.
Have you checked ebay's ' completed listings '?
It's likely you're going to take a big price hit anyway you approach it, if you bought them new.