Price Increases - Good for the used market?

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I've been watching Reverb closely over the last 6 months. Used prices have been creeping up...but it's not due to high demand. There is plenty of used gear being added every single day, and yet almost none of it sells.

Take used snare drums for example. For every 7-10 snare listings that get added to Reverb every day, maybe 1 snare will sell. Sometimes it seems closer to a 15:1 ratio. It's been like this for months. I've seen days where fewer than 5 snare drums sell in 24 hr period, almost to the point that it seems like a mistake, given how many new listings were added.

A year or two ago, I remember seeing only 2-3 used Acrolites available. Now Reverb is flooded with Acrolites. You'd think the price would drop. Nope! The price keeps going up, and very few are being sold.

It's like all the sellers on Reverb haven't gotten the memo on supply and demand.

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
30%?

I hope not as that will price my planned add on right out of my budget.

I asked my direct contaxt at DW about this.

Seeing that new prices already rose last year, the prices that importers add to the regular prices, the prices that shops have to add to stay afloat, and the gigs that are gone in general the last year, I see a dark future for the businiess in general.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equilibrium will be reached without the aid of a net.
The increase on REVERB is due to the avarice and glut.
The Market always dictates what a used product will sell for.
When nothing sells … the first to adjust the price wins.
Others eventually catch on and things slowly sell with lowered prices.
It’s just how it works.
Most all already have their gear.
The used instrument market is a want … not a need. (for most all)
Even the slowest of processors can spot a really bad deal and will avoid them.
In time.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of used prices are high because the seller really doesn't need to sell, and it costs nothing to list. I think the number of serious sellers is lower than what it looks like.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good thing I loaded up with gear 3 or 4 years ago. Tons of cymbals, hardware and drums. No real need to sell. Just set up and play.