Prisoner to the sizzle Ride

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
hi.. I have realised that if I play any style of music at all with any other Ride cymbal other than my sizzle Ride (22" 2oo2, or 20" A Custom) I really miss them..
The dynamic I can get from a sizzle has me hooked.. It's NEVER too much and it improves stick attack greatly.
But for all around versatility there is always a whole palate of color missing with playing just a normal ride.
I Do love my 602 medium Ride ( not sizzle) but alas if I take it out.. It soon has a chain on it..
Just so expressive!! And I don't need 2 rides.. My other two cymbals in my set up are 18" and 19" Giant Beat Multis so I don't have any compromise as they are pretty versatile..

Gerry

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first real drum teacher had a sizzle ride and I admit...it got me hooked.

I only have 1 sizzle ride now and its not often my go to...but its great.

If I can score another Soultone ride cheap...I may add some sizzle to it...for me...chains are just not the same.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
At my last gig I used a regular ride and a flat with rivets. I crash on both, and I kind of wondered whether the sizzle was “too much”. But on listening back to a one-mic recording, that rivet sizzle was magical, like glitter or hot sauce.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been hooked on sizzle cymbals from the begining. Rivets add so much more texture and atmosphere to a nice cymbal, it seems almost criminal to not have them.

rstange1

Reaction score
Like dtk, my drum teacher got me hooked. My primary rides (22" Sabian HH Manhattan or 22" Paiste 602) are riveted for church, big band and small combo gigs. Only place I don't use a riveted cymbal it is concert band.

Burps

Reaction score
Glad this topic came up. I had recently been looking at older pictures of well known drum kits by some name drummers and I noticed that many had a sizzle cymbal somewhere in their setup. It made me wonder why it seems very few use any now. Am I right in believing rivets were much more popular in the 60s and 70s? Is this because of the marketing of the chain/sizzler thingy's, or is it ignorance and fear of how holes and rivets might change the sound of a cymbal, or both?

I use the Promark chain once in a while. But I must confess that I would love to own a riveted cymbal someday. I love that "hiss."

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my 602 ..which is beautiful sounding Ride.. Is only non sizzle ride I ever play.
Gerry

Is the 602 a 20"? Also, regarding the 22" 2002....do they just add rivets to a regular 2002 ride? I really like my 2002 22" ride and have been playing it a lot lately.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 602 is a 20", and it is the "perfect" classic sweet sounding flat IMO. I go back and forth between that and my heavier Istanbul 18" flat, which has a richer, more complex tone. If that one was 20" I would marry it.

Ang

Reaction score
Is the 602 a 20"? Also, regarding the 22" 2002....do they just add rivets to a regular 2002 ride? I really like my 2002 22" ride and have been playing it a lot lately.
I have a 2002 Black label from 1979 with 6 rivet holes in it. Sounds great with and without the rivets.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Elvin Jones was the main reason for me to get a sizzle ride - a 20" Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia 50s. Beautiful instrument, but I grew tired of the sound pretty quickly - I only play hats and two cymbals, and having a sizzle as the only alternative to my main ride got old fast. I´ll give it try again though - really love the sound of the A Custom here:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Elvin Jones was the main reason for me to get a sizzle ride - a 20" Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia 50s. Beautiful instrument, but I grew tired of the sound pretty quickly - I only play hats and two cymbals, and having a sizzle as the only alternative to my main ride got old fast. I´ll give it try again though - really love the sound of the A Custom here:

He makes that sound palette work so well. I loved that.

Latest posts