Problem in finish on 5 Pearl drums. Please look!.Help!

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
I recently bought some Pearl Masters Mahogany drums from a forumite.
I have zero issues with my transaction. It was smooth as silk.
When I got the set home I discovered that the glue used at the exterior joint has reacted with something and made a white stripe on 5 of the 6 drums in this set. See pics.
I have had a nice conversation with Pearl about this and they are as baffled as I am.

Have any of you ever seen this? Its really pronounced and looks terrible. Id love to hear feedback.
Screenshot_20211026-212636.jpg
20211026_140707.jpg
20211026_140641.jpg
20211026_140611.jpg
20211026_140534.jpg
20211026_132038.jpg
20211026_132027.jpg
20211026_141737.jpg

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’d Pearl say? I thought their shells had a LT warranty ?

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
What’d Pearl say? I thought their shells had a LT warranty ?
They are first trying to figure out what happened. It could get a little weird but overall I spoke with Ben Heirich and he was very accomadating. He took all my sizes down and said to expect contact in a day or two with options.
The lifetime warranty was instituted in 2009 per Ben.
Fingers crossed.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The forum member that sold this kit to you claims the set didn't have this problem when he sold it to you?

Then maybe the kit endured a big temperature swing or high humidity or something like that during shipping?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently bought some Pearl Masters Mahogany drums from a forumite.
I have zero issues with my transaction. It was smooth as silk.
When I got the set home I discovered that the glue used at the exterior joint has reacted with something and made a white stripe on 5 of the 6 drums in this set. See pics.
I have had a nice conversation with Pearl about this and they are as baffled as I am.

Have any of you ever seen this? Its really pronounced and looks terrible. Id love to hear feedback. View attachment 525153 View attachment 525154 View attachment 525155 View attachment 525156 View attachment 525157 View attachment 525158 View attachment 525159 View attachment 525160
Pearl Masters Mahogany drums are gorgeous, IMO! Shame what happened to them. From the pics, it looks like the glue expanded and split the veneer at the seam. If so, I’m not sure that can be fixed as a practical matter. If it’s still under warranty, what remedy do you want?

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Oh my, yeah, that's quite pronounced. Not sure that can be fixed, either. Will they replace it? Ooooooo, good luck. Looks like something funky happened to the glue on the outer ply.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
The forum member that sold this kit to you claims the set didn't have this problem when he sold it to you?

Then maybe the kit endured a big temperature swing or high humidity or something like that during shipping?
Nope, that is categorically not true because I pointed it out to the seller in his garage and he stated that he had never noticed it before.
I picked the drums up from his garage and drove them home and brought them in.
I took the drums fair and square and there is NOT an issue with the seller.
No temperature extremes right now anyway.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Pearl Masters Mahogany drums are gorgeous, IMO! Shame what happened to them. From the pics, it looks like the glue expanded and split the veneer at the seam. If so, I’m not sure that can be fixed as a practical matter. If it’s still under warranty, what remedy do you want?
If it split the veneer at the seam....which I suppose is possible , there is no evidence of an issue inside the drums. The issue is only the wide white stripe. You wouldnt know it was there to feel it. Its below the lacquer so its not like a rupture or a crack.
Never seen it before.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
As far as what can be done? I am clueless on this one. It is obviously a manufacturers issue....but what is it?
If it is a chemistry problem with the glue then they (Pearl) will know about this.
I'd be hardpressed to think these were the only ones in this series to be affected. The snare was not.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it split the veneer at the seam....which I suppose is possible , there is no evidence of an issue inside the drums. The issue is only the wide white stripe. You wouldnt know it was there to feel it. Its below the lacquer so its not like a rupture or a crack.
Never seen it before.
The pics are difficult to interpret. If the veneers including the seams are fully intact, and what we’re looking at are just a 2 dimensional white stripes, then perhaps Pearl can refinish the drums or have someone do it. That would be cool! I don’t think they are replaceable.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, that is categorically not true because I pointed it out to the seller in his garage and he stated that he had never noticed it before.
I picked the drums up from his garage and drove them home and brought them in.
I took the drums fair and square and there is NOT an issue with the seller.
No temperature extremes right now anyway.
So you pointed it out to the seller when you went to pick them up, and he claims he never saw it, and you both still made the deal? Is that correct? I think you had good grounds to say no to the deal or renegotiate when you saw the issue.

I'm not judging, just trying to understand.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just so you know, Pearl only honors the life time warranty to the original owner. I had a Rederence Pure kit that developed a strange haze to it and Pearl honored the warranty and replaced the drums. I had bought a matching 14" floor tom in the same finish off eBay from someone who was on the pdf forums and that one developed the same problem. Since the 14" wasn't part of the original kit, Pearl was only going to honor replacing the 10/12/16/22, but was kind enough to replace the 14 as well because they don't want defective drums out in the marketplace.

Now, that was replacing just 1 used drum, but a whole kit of used drums, I dont know what they can do on that. They may honor it if the whole kit had the same issue and the kit does not look to have any other signs of abuse, but they may also say that they can't replace it because you are not the original owner. Not sure.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Yes that is exactly correct.
I took the drums and we arrived at a price previous to that.
Just to be crystal clear, there
So you pointed it out to the seller when you went to pick them up, and he claims he never saw it, and you both still made the deal? Is that correct? I think you had good grounds to say no to the deal or renegotiate when you saw the issue.

I'm not judging, just trying to understand.
That is exactly correct.
I took the deal despite the blems.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Just so you know, Pearl only honors the life time warranty to the original owner. I had a Rederence Pure kit that developed a strange haze to it and Pearl honored the warranty and replaced the drums. I had bought a matching 14" floor tom in the same finish off eBay from someone who was on the pdf forums and that one developed the same problem. Since the 14" wasn't part of the original kit, Pearl was only going to honor replacing the 10/12/16/22, but was kind enough to replace the 14 as well because they don't want defective drums out in the marketplace.

Now, that was replacing just 1 used drum, but a whole kit of used drums, I dont know what they can do on that. They may honor it if the whole kit had the same issue and the kit does not look to have any other signs of abuse, but they may also say that they can't replace it because you are not the original owner. Not sure.
We have discussed this at length and from the tenor of the conversation it may go in whatever direction the wind is blowing. Ben with Pearl was very professional and we will just have to see what happens. I would love to think they would stand behind their product no matter who owns it. Maybe they won’t.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search the Pearl Drummer's Forum. I recall there being some issues like this years ago when I hung out there more.

I also believe it only applies to the original owner.

Good luck!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks like blushing of the finish. Its pretty common applying lacquer but doesn’t usually happen with poly finishes unless there is extreme humidity when its applied. It seems possible a shell could have gone to the finishing booth before the moisture in the glue dissipated, but kind of hard to believe it could happen so consistently with a whole set. As far as I know it can’t occur after poly has cured.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
It looks like blushing of the finish. Its pretty common applying lacquer but doesn’t usually happen with poly finishes unless there is extreme humidity when its applied. It seems possible a shell could have gone to the finishing booth before the moisture in the glue dissipated, but kind of hard to believe it could happen so consistently with a whole set. As far as I know it can’t occur after poly has cured.
Man I know....this is a mystery...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
still trying to figure out the inclusion of the dog picture
what do they look like set up the drums not the dogs

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my first thought also. It really does look like blushing.