header.nohb.html

Problem with eBay profit taking... Can we do Class Action?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
post 34

I've been on eBay for over 10 years. In the beginning they covered my inbox with announcements, notices, etc. ...So, I opted out of email notification.

Changing this case from eBay messaging system to an email notice was missed by me. Therefore, I was kept in the dark.
It seems to me that by choosing to opt out of email notifications, you chose to be in the dark.

Commodore

Reaction score
It seems to me that by choosing to opt out of email notifications, you chose to be in the dark.
Well, eBay insisted on contact between members being conducted on the eBay platform. The alternative was to have my inbox covered up with spam from eBay.
Ten years ago, they were really big on being in constant contact. The message page still says "communicate only on ebay."

I contacted the buyer / member in that platform the first day of this posting ...and again today. Still waiting to hear.

Last edited:

Commodore

Reaction score
312E387D-B233-4431-AB5D-F9F3E8BD22CA.jpeg

The buyer wanted a $200 give-back on this pre-serial Super Classic from 1961 ...from a sale price of $499 / free shipping

Attachments

• 3F83C09C-C9F9-4089-AB73-E5189F4DD946.jpeg
    3F83C09C-C9F9-4089-AB73-E5189F4DD946.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 13
  • 86A43FA2-FF84-426C-9B54-A6E007608CE6.jpeg
    86A43FA2-FF84-426C-9B54-A6E007608CE6.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 14

Commodore

Reaction score
do you have a photo of the crack that the buyer complained about? let's see that
The buyer did not complain of a crack. In our first contact after the sale, he wanted $200. He said the snare side head had a dent and wires, rods were bent, etc. I replied that all was pictured and was sold As Is.

He used his own pictures of a seam in the re-ring to convince eBay that it was an undisclosed fault.

BTW: Buyer has not responded to my inquiry on the eBay messaging system... (edited)

Last edited:

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The buyer did not complain about any crack ...to me. Because I'd double boxed it. He did have multiple (so minor, that I thought it a shake-down) issues ...with what is a 60 year old snare drum

He did use his own pictures of a seam in the re-ring to convince eBay that it was a fault.

Buyer still has not responded...

Condition is condition regardless of age. Some people expect mint on 60 year old instruments and others don't. But you need to disclose the flaws- or what has the potential to be described as a flaw if you don't want any issues. You can't just say "it's old" or "it's used"- that isn't describing the condition of the item.

If you aren't into experienced with vintage drums- you expect 2022 level quality control on the drum- even though anyone who has experience with vintage knows that they would have certainly shipped out a drum in 1962 with a cracked reinforcement ring that was painted over. Yet we see it all the time on here- guys buy their first vintage set or snare and start going nuts over wavy re-rings or imperfect wood on the inner plies or slopped on paint- all stuff that was the norm back then

Also remember the persons arbitrating these disputes are not experts- they rely on what is in front of them. It is not like they call up Steve Maxwell and ask for his take on it. A crack was present and it wasn't disclosed in either the photos or the description- that does not look good. The other issue is by offering that $100 partial refund you acknowledged there was a problem in a backhanded way- even if you didn't intend for that to be outcome.

All the time we have guys on here complaining about minor issues- I remember one guy going nuts over a changed out tension rod on a newer snare drum that he paid less than $200 for- he was fully convinced the drum was grossly misrepresented even though he couldn't tell himself until he removed it.

Most people thought he was nuts- but enough people agreed with him. These are the people you have to expect when preparing your photos and descriptions for your ads on ebay and reverb.

Commodore

Reaction score
It's been a few days...

Just for the record, my name is Rory Blake. I have not be able to get ahold of Dave Allgood using the eBay message system. Anybody know how I could reach him?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a watch on eBay. It does not work. Having a fight with the seller who claims that since he accepted my best offer, I still got a good deal. After a few weeks of going back and forth with the seller to resolve the issues because I love the watch, I gave up and escalated to eBay despite a "no return" policy. On the last day to hear back from the seller (9/22), the seller actually filed a complaint against me and whined that he had the watch tested (that is a lie - I have proof), he would not be stupid and send me the watch (out of the USA) if broken, and he can't afford a return due to customs costs for his country.

Why do I bring this up? Because not only did eBay pause my grievance against the seller, because he filed a counter against me, they actually CLOSED mine, and the eBay Appeals Dept. was investigating. They sent me a msg thru eBay on 9/22 saying they had emailed me and I had 5 days to respond to his complaint. Well, my Yahoo acct. which has been my eBay email since 1999, and which gets numerous "this auction is ending....." or "offer received" or "are you interested in these auctions" (you get the picture) had NO such email from eBay in my inbox (and yes, I checked the spam and trash folders)!

I tried to figure out how to contact eBay via email. It directed me to eBay messages. I typed a real long reply to the not true counter claim and when I tried to send it, it kept crashing. I had the foresight to copy the reply and each time I cut and paste and tried to send it, there was some system error and I could not send it. I called eBay and was so angry at this counter baloney and that I could not send a reply. I spoke with a super nice lady who made notes. Unfortunately, since the Appeal Dept. was investigating, she said I had to wait it out. She said to give them 24 hours - sure.

Well, maybe it was because I made some very compelling arguments backed by hard evidence (and law), my numerous attempts to contact the seller and work out something reasonable (long story there but I was NOT seeking a further price reduction - seller told me a new movement was $60 and it would be $150 to install the mechanism - so I asked for $200, plus that exact mechanism was not in stock with the sole seller whom we could find - and the seller responded by filing the above complaint!), the fact that I complained about this non-existent email, that I offered to drive to eBay (75 miles away) to show them the defective watch (if it was really needed), or my ultimate back up threat to just go to Paypal to make things right, I am happy that I got an email from eBay earlier tonight saying they side with me and gave the seller 5 days to respond re: paying for the s/h back to him OR ELSE I GET A FULL REFUND WITHOUT NEEDING TO SEND BACK THE ITEM!!!

Here is the actual msg I received in eBay messages. This is posted because it sounds like the O.P. in this thread got screwed by not getting that email in his email. He should have got it in his eBay messages but I don't know. Also, reaching out to the seller and being reasonable go a long way. Plus, I caught the seller in lies, the item was damaged in 2 areas (I fixed one of them so the guy actually gets a BETTER watch back) and not disclosed as such (eg: if it was listed as "parts only" or "non-working" I'd have no claims nor qualms as I would not have bought it) and I had logical compelling arguments. I hope this gives guidance to both sellers and buyers out there.

"Before we proceed, I appreciate that you've tried to resolve the matter with your seller by opening the request and contacting the seller. This was the correct step to take and I appreciate the efforts you have already put in. I reviewed the account and found out that the eBay returns label is not enough for this item. I'm delighted to tell you that we have reached out to the seller to arrange the collection of this item. If the seller failed to take action, on 28 September you won’t be required to contact us and we will do this for you once the 5 days ends. We will just resolve the issue by processing the refund without requiring you to return the item (I added the bold).

Please work with the seller to resolve the issue if they contact you on this duration. We need to see both parties are willing to facilitate the return."