Progressive Jazz/Fusion. Where to head next.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My knowledge of this isn't as vast as it should be! But some albums that I had when I was younger were - 'livestock' and 'Moroccan roll' by brand x. Mahivishnu orchestra- birds of fire and some other that I've forgotten, a couple of return to forever albums, miles Davis bitches brew, and as someone else said- Gong, which I loved, spectrum- Bilie Cohbam- a real favourite, Headhunters by herbie Hancock, and more that I've long lost and forgotten, just the other week I bought ( again) Dave weckl 'Masterplan' which still frightens the life out of me. Oh and an LP of random fusion recordings called Atlantic fusion.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Anyone remember Fire Merchants? Stumbling across this cassette back in college was a happy find!

Here was a California-based, fusion trio led by none other than John Goodsall (The one constant of Brand X’s ever-changing lineup) and Chester Thompson, making for a wonderful collaboration of Genesis extended family members.

A bit heavy, but no less tasteful and satisfying.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
you didn't miss this did you
progressive-jazz-fusion-where-to-head-next

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jean Luc Ponty's late 1970's solo albums on the Atlantic label- Starting from "Upon the Wings of Music" to about "Live"- pretty much all the albums when Ralphe Armstrong was in his band.

I would really spend a bit of time with ALL of Miles Davis's output from ESP until about 1974. 1965 to early 1968 is entirely acoustic- but it lays the groundwork for the later electric stuff (plus it is some of the best music ever recorded). Almost everyone who ended up playing Jazz Fusion spent at least some time in one of his groups from 1968-1974. There is a A LOT of material to go through- but it is a rewarding process.

The early Weather Report albums are worth a listen- they can go from an "In A Silent Way" like atmospheric on the first album to hard edged groove on "Sweetnighter". As great as Jaco was- I feel the WR albums without him are better than the ones with him.

Herbie Hancock's output on Warner Brothers and Columbia from 1969-1975- Starting with "Fat Albert Rotunda" up until about "Man-Child".

TPC

Reaction score
Great thread!

Early Mahavishnu was quite unique.

For the same no-holes-barred approach, in a different context, I go with Donny McCaslin/Mark Guiluana. In fact, that’s about all I listen to anymore.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This wasn’t exactly concurrent to Mahavishnu, as I think Brand X’s origins follow along a couple of years later, but they’re a strong example of how British music started to explore the same directions. The boys were certainly aware of Mahavishnu, and while not influenced by them per se, to some extent I think they would say they were inspired by them.

Robin Lumley is one of my favorite writers and performers on keyboard, and the drummer is pretty good too B)

This is the first album they recorded as an official Brand X release, 1976’s Unorthodox Behaviour.

You beat me to it, first thing that came into my mind.
Also check out their next album Moroccan Roll.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Try out Chick Corea The Leprechaun. Also other Cobham release, Alivemuthaforya. Here's a record by an Italian guitarist I found back when I was looking for fusion, has some vocals in it but has Narada Walden on Drums and some Brand X alums on it: Nova.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, if depends if we are talking a very narrow definition of a genre, or if we are talking the concept of "fusion," where jazz and rock (and lots of other things in various combinations) come together, usually with a focus on musicianship. Christian Vander said John Coltrane was a major influence on his musical vision, although "fused" in a progressive rock context with an apocalyptic cosmic mythology sung in alien chant. In terms of the more narrowly defined "jazz fusion" genre, however, have a listen to the last bit of their live album (the violin solo starting at 1:10:00), and see if it sounds akin to some of the more obvious "fusion" groups.

I think the label of "jazz fusion" or "jazz rock" had a lot to do with venue and marketing. Miles Davis played "jazz clubs" AND "rock" venues. The late 60s and early 70s were a really exciting time musically, and people were willing to cross genres and try things - and sometimes were given commercial contracts from big record companies to do so. God bless the internet for keeping interesting music available, because the large music companies today seem to support mostly facile music aimed at the largest possible audience. It's about appealing to the masses rather than trying to get people to open their ears.
Definitely falls into the genre. Enjoying some of these suggestions I haven't heard! Nice topic.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Chick Corea's Elektric Band

Bruford - One of A Kind - with Holdsworth and Berlin!

RTF - Romantic Warrier

Al DiMeola - Tour de Force - with Jan Hammer and Gadd - Race with Devil on Spanish Highway cannot be played in a car without getting a speeding ticket!

Jeff Beck - Wired - Jan Hammer and Walden, Jan even plays drums on Blue Wind

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
As you can see there`s a kabillion bands and musicians in this "genre" and like anything, it has it`s cycles.... even fusion had it`s fuzack phase.
I had been playing drums for a few months, saw the following on tv and my world changed.
bt

Timeless brilliance! Then there’s this:

Latest posts