header.nohb.html

Prosumer

jakeo

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard this term for the first time - I would venture to say that the majority of us here are prosumers. I am for sure.
"An amateur who purchases equipment with quality or features suitable for professional use"

Demonslayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The First time I heard the term was in the digital camera marketplace, over a decade ago. At the time, my wife had a side business doing weddings and the such. It so happened that the gear that had the bare minimum requisite features we needed at the price we could afford landed squarely in that quadrant of the market offering.

I think I wholly agree with you, since I do have "pro" gear, but [can't afford/have no use] for really "boutique" stuff. For instance, I own two Black Beauties, but [can't afford/do not need] a Joyful Noise. Likewise, I have a Sonor S-Class, which is very nice. A Designer or an SQ2 would be nicer, but they are way outside my price/performance range.

R/N I have more gear than I need or use, so whenever I'm on the prowl for something, that's where I try to land.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Usually the term is used to describe the equipment, not the consumer of said equipment. An amateur that uses consumer, prosumer, or professional gear is still an amateur. Likewise, a professional who uses consumer, prosumer, or professional equipment is still a professional.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
" What is the difference between consumer and prosumer?"

A consumer is a person who buys a product and uses it. A prosumer is a person who buys a product, uses it, and spread the word about it. A single consumer does not affect the image of a brand. A single prosumer can affect the image of a brand.

````````````````````````````````````````

or as we like to call a prosumer on dfo Acrolite owner.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The First time I heard the term was in the digital camera marketplace, over a decade ago. At the time, my wife had a side business doing weddings and the such. It so happened that the gear that had the bare minimum requisite features we needed at the price we could afford landed squarely in that quadrant of the market offering.

I think I wholly agree with you, since I do have "pro" gear, but [can't afford/have no use] for really "boutique" stuff. For instance, I own two Black Beauties, but [can't afford/do not need] a Joyful Noise. Likewise, I have a Sonor S-Class, which is very nice. A Designer or an SQ2 would be nicer, but they are way outside my price/performance range.

R/N I have more gear than I need or use, so whenever I'm on the prowl for something, that's where I try to land.
What does "R/N" mean? Code?

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
" What is the difference between consumer and prosumer?"

A consumer is a person who buys a product and uses it. A prosumer is a person who buys a product, uses it, and spread the word about it. A single consumer does not affect the image of a brand. A single prosumer can affect the image of a brand.

````````````````````````````````````````

or as we like to call a prosumer on dfo Acrolite owner.
Interesting interpretation of the terms.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers use the word to distinguish between the lower end of their professional equipment lines and the higher end of it and “consumer” gear to be even lower grade. It describes the gear itself and not the user of the gear.

D

drummerfriend

"An amateur who purchases equipment with quality or features suitable for professional use"

By this definition, almost everyone is a prosumer if the gear has been purchased new within the last 25 years. Especially mid-level gear. For that matter even much of the entry level stuff is built with good quality enough to do almost anything with. There are exceptions of course.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Although I have never heard it used in reference to people, a quick Google search reveals almost all sources saying that it is. Looks like the term originated in marketing.

But when it is used in reference to gear, I've never heard it applied to instruments like drums. It's almost always used for things like electronics. Cameras and such.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a thread on this from 10 years ago, focussed on video cameras.