Protection from Tom Rash on my new kit.

60s_rock

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've found lots of good info and interesting posts....and I hope that in the future I can add something as well!

I just got my new Gretch Maple USA's and could not be happier. However, I play out alot and had always used my old Ludwig kit. It has gouges and dings, etc. all 0ver it ...especially on the tom from rubbing against the snare rims. With my new kit I want to avoid that, I'd hate for the Gretch kit to get so scratched. I was thinking about tieing a small leather pad to a couple of the snare tension rods on the snare rim.....but before I do, I wonder if any others out there have any better solutions. also ... anything good on the market?
I hate to seem so anal about it but this is my first brand new drum set that I have ever owned (and I've been playing drums since I was a kid). Just want to keep them nice!

Thanks

p.s. ... anyone use this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOMO-Finish-Protector-Fits-Yamaha-Snare-Drum-and-Toms-/120523918265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0fc90bb9

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Funny, I was just talking to someone about this very thing. Personally, I have never had this problem, and have been playing gigs for many years. I am always very careful about where I place my snare/toms, even in small, cramped places and rickety stages. That said, some foam padding, leather strips, etc. will work just fine for you. No need to spend money on something that there are plenty of home solutions for, IMO.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I've never understood this - just set it up with space between the two

60s_rock

Reaction score
Yes I may just go with some foam or something. I never really never did a lot of the damage myself but others did.

I worked in one bar for over 10 yrs. and almost every week different musicians were sitting in on our equipment. The problem comes from other drummers adjusting the snare, toms, hardware, etc. .... anyway I never really knew there had been any damage until I took the drums down one day to clean them. Thats when I noticed the damage.....espicially to the mounted tom.

I try to be more careful now about who sits in :)

andrewro

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought that little NOMO protective pad on ebay. It's vinyl not leather (the maker says the vinyl is less likely than leather to damage the finish). I can see the logic in "just set up with space between the two" until you're actually out on the gig. Cramped spaces to squeeze into, people moving around onstage setting up and tearing down, other people sharing your kit, a momentary lapse of attention - so many ways you can ding up a finish!

60s_rock

Reaction score
andrewro, Thanks.... yes that's really where and how it all happens. One tiny ding at a time..... and I do like to let others sit in. I do like the nomo pad .... it's really ugly though, but it stays behind the tom so that only you know its there so, I'm ok with that !
I might give that a try.

Reaction score
I use NOMOs. I have them on my bass drum next to my tom stand, and on my tom tom. They work well. I sent them an email and they made me some in a lighter color to go with lighter finishes.

andrewro

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The one I have is black and so is the kit I use it with, so it's not as visible as it would be for some folks!

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
from the time i started playing in 1970 to right now i have "never" had a drum get or give rash. i always keep about 3/8" seperation between tom/bass and snare/bass.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I make my own NOMO style pads out of thick craft foam and leather ties (both should be readily available at any craft/fabric store). Works quite well, easy to make and cheap. Just cut a piece of foam (get the thickest you can find, usually about 1/4") to size. Poke four holes through it. Run the leather through the holes and tie it onto your lugs. Super simple.

I try not to have my snare touching the tom but on some occasions I have found myself on rickety stages or risers with guitar players and singers jumping around causing my drums to bounce as well. In those instances these home-made pads were lifesavers for my Gretsch's nitro lacquer finish.

Attachments

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i just decide to let it be. and keep a teeny tiny space between. lately i make sure the drums are turned so if the snare rocks forward two lugs/housings etc make contact instead of metal to wood.

lperdomo13

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
go to your local auto parts store, and buy some weather strips. you can get different lengths, thickness and colors. i used to buy the clear strips. the way it works is you just cut the desired length and attach it to the batter side rim of your snare. this way no snare rubbing on the tom. you can also put some on your bottom rim of your rack tom, so the tom wont rub against the bass drum.

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
repete said:
I've never understood this - just set it up with space between the two
Me either. I "rented" (in exchange for 10 paying tickets at $35 a piece) out one of my sets to a national touring Beatles act and it came back with Tom rash :mad: I never understood how drummers can NOT adjust the tom away from the snare?

Again...I understand that the mount may slip during a song but c'mon.....a 15 sec adjustment in between songs?

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that mounting with clearance between drums is the best way to prevent rash; still, mounts can loosen unnoticed so...

Easy & cheap insurance:

Pick up some 3/8" diesel fuel line hose from your local hardware or auto store. Cut for length, the space on the hoop between two tension rods - slice length-wise and slide onto the hoop where the drum is most likely to contact another drum. Voila! rash protection for a couple bucks.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I too try to set up to prevent this. I use a snare stand for my rack tom so once set in place its not going to move unlike mounting it on an arm (without a memory lock) My bass drum has some dents from when I played the kit as originally purchased a 8x10,8x12 and 10x14 up top. I never could get the 10x14 low enough to play comfortably and did some damage from it being too low. My 16x16 got dropped first gig and got a ding. My singer at that time was so excited about my new kit that he wanted to look at the finish so he picked up the floor tom to look at it and it slipped right of his hands. The 8x12 has ding from a mic stand getting knocked over on a cramped stage and the mic hit the tom. Nomo's can't prevent everything :) maybe this would be a use for a drum screen ;)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Go to any hardware store and pic up 1 foot (vvvveeerrryyy cheap!!!) of clear tubing.
Slice it open lengthwise and slide it over your snare rim.

The clear won't show up as much. Plus being on the rim, it won't muffle your shell's natural vibration.

You only really need about 4 inches, so you will have extra (maybe the floor tom and the right mount tom (hint, hint))

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
another idea might be automotive door trip protectors. I've seen it in chrome finish and should fit right over the rim. Would also work well on electronic drums that don't already have some sort of silencer on the metal rim.