PS3 question: Has anyone ever tried removing the muffling ring?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If so, how did you go about it? Shane Kinney said “Ludwig Bass drum logo heads are hard to come by. For those that want the classic Ludwig front bass head sound, I suggest carefully removing the muffle ring with a sharp knife. Be careful!“
I want to attempt it with one of my Ludwig reso heads, but not sure where to cut. Any suggestions?

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive done it with an exacto knife, cut it where it meets the flesh hoop
Sounded more like an Ambassador to me

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's the sound I'm after. Was it easy? This is a 24" head, so I'm thinking it might take awhile.
Im not real anal about stuff like this,i cut as close to the hoop as possible as long as ring didnt interfer with the bearing edge.
10 minutes at most.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
assume you cut from underneath the ring; (not on top (lol?)
Frankly if I can call frank Not worth it

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
assume you cut from underneath the ring; (not on top (lol?)
Frankly if I can call frank Not worth it
You can call Frank, but he might not answer. Have you seen the price of Ambassador smooth white 24" BD heads lately? Not pretty. $60+, tax and shipping not included.

I might go Route B and get an Evans EQ3 Reso smooth white ($33 + tax) and use a Ludwig die cut logo I have lying around. My understanding is that the EQ3 reso, while having a similar muffling ring, is only 7.5mm. The thinness might compensate somewhat for the muffle.

EDIT: Just found a Aquarian CC24WH smooth white Classic Clear on Amazon for $21 shipped. That's my ride! Gonna Goo Gone that huge Aquarian logo and apply my Ludwig logo.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
You can call Frank, but he might not answer. Have you seen the price of Ambassador smooth white 24" BD heads lately? Not pretty. $60+, tax and shipping not included.
ya but You only buy em once ; ) $1 a day for two months, make the sacrifice ; )
Put the PS on the batter side (where it belongs ; )
~
Still say you stick your hand underneath the ring and with a sharp banana knife If there is such a thing) and take a trip around once
If you don't cut your wrist or thumb off, call it "a success" and saved ___60 bucks..

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thing is, when you cut out the ring, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. You can trim a little at a time and experiment with the sound.
That is true Brad, but with a smooth white reso head, you can clearly see the ring, and knowing me, I'd cut just a little too much off one side and I'd never be able to unsee it. :lol:

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
I've cut them out, no problem. It takes a little time, and you need to be careful, but you can get really close to the hoop if you go slow. I've been using a 24" Fiberskyn Powerstroke as a reso head for a long time with the ring cut out. Its been so long in fact that I forgot the head was originally a PS3. I removed the logo back in the day, and all that remained was a faint reminder that it was indeed a PS3. It currently sounds basically like a Fiberskyn Ambassador weigh kick head.

From what I remember, I sort of cut straight down to the hoop and got a bit of the ring out at first. Then, you can sort of pull on the remaining ring and slide a razor blade underneath and get close to the hoop.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
To my ear Fiberskyn PS3 reso heads muffle the bass drum too much so I cut the rings on my reso heads to about half their original width. A pair of scissors works fine for this.

I solved the Ludwig logo issue by buying a couple of "Ludwig USA" transfer logos from Pro Drum Shop and putting them on my Fiberskyn PS3 reso heads. The logos were $10 each back in 2014.

jb78

Reaction score
If you’re only going through this effort because of the logo, is it really true that logo stickers are hard to come by? Somewhere I have an envelope full of them. If I can find them, I’ll gladly send you some. I received mine as an endorser around 15 years ago but I can’t imagine they’re not available?