Psychedelic red offer, fair price?

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I contacted a guy selling his fathers set.
He's willing to let it go for 2250.
Assuming it is in round and he has the hoops not shown in the pic,
Is that a good deal.
241824676_6442419095798598_7458770557422118034_n.jpg

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
sizes are 12,13,16,18,22 There does seem to be a little seam lifting on couple of the toms and a small crack in wrap as well on one tom

Attachments

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you can see them in person. Otherwise you're making a big gamble. The chewed up front edge of the bass is an indicator of how that set was treated in general so there are probably other serious issues the seller may not disclose or could just not be knowledgeable enough to know about. Approach with caution.

healthie1

Reaction score
This is an interesting kit, because of how rare and sought after this finish is, this is good example of they're worth what someone will pay. In addition I can't see any sold listings on ebay to compare it to.

There is this kit on ebay for $2250: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224622552149?hash=item344c8c2455:g:2MkAAOSwb7Nghb16
your kit has the 18" floor tom, which I bet is worth $800 alone.

If you think the kit is sweet, it comes with other stuff worth some bucks, and the issues are more aesthetic and less integral - the wrap damage is something I'd consider integral; since that's the main value in this set. This kit will be awesome to clean up and put new heads on. From the looks of that bass drum head this guy might have been the original owner.

More practical answer: I'd offer $1500 and cite the damage and work this will need to bring the value back.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Cassidy of Spirit played a Ludwig Psych Red set, with a triple tom mount.

I wonder if there's any chance it could be the same set?

View attachment 519264
WOW! Since this photo is in black and white, I almost thought this was a Ludwig oyster black set :icon_e_biggrin: Love those GIANT bas drums and stands...what would they be ....32" or??????

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting kit, because of how rare and sought after this finish is, this is good example of they're worth what someone will pay. In addition I can't see any sold listings on ebay to compare it to.

There is this kit on ebay for $2250: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224622552149?hash=item344c8c2455:g:2MkAAOSwb7Nghb16
your kit has the 18" floor tom, which I bet is worth $800 alone.

If you think the kit is sweet, it comes with other stuff worth some bucks, and the issues are more aesthetic and less integral - the wrap damage is something I'd consider integral; since that's the main value in this set. This kit will be awesome to clean up and put new heads on. From the looks of that bass drum head this guy might have been the original owner.

More practical answer: I'd offer $1500 and cite the damage and work this will need to bring the value back.
That set hasn't sold. Asking priced and actual selling prices are very different.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and got them. will pick up tomorrow. The edges were all in good shape and in round. The two floor toms(16 18) have a little seam lifting and some missing tensions rods but other than that they are really nice with no fading.
The 12 and 13 both are going to be projects as they have lifting and and corner section of the lifting has broken off. One has a crack in the middle of the wrap as well. They also have a lot of green left which is good.
The Bass wrap is not lifting, no cracks or scuffs, but is way more faded than the rest of the set. Hardley any green left. Anyway I told the guy what issues it had and honestly what he could get from the lm400 and the cymbals and he said 1000 for the lot so I said ok. Looks like I will have a project for the winter. One bonus is that the 24" ride is really light A and a definite gem. Probably best find in the whole deal. Also had a typical 70s med light 18 crash and med hats. They could be older as they have no ink anywhere on them, even the bottom hihat

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and got them. will pick up tomorrow. The edges were all in good shape and in round. The two floor toms(16 18) have a little seam lifting and some missing tensions rods but other than that they are really nice with no fading.
The 12 and 13 both are going to be projects as they have lifting and and corner section of the lifting has broken off. One has a crack in the middle of the wrap as well. They also have a lot of green left which is good.
The Bass wrap is not lifting, no cracks or scuffs, but is way more faded than the rest of the set. Hardley any green left. Anyway I told the guy what issues it had and honestly what he could get from the lm400 and the cymbals and he said 1000 for the lot so I said ok. Looks like I will have a project for the winter. One bonus is that the 24" ride is really light A and a definite gem. Probably best find in the whole deal. Also had a typical 70s med light 18 crash and med hats. They could be older as they have no ink anywhere on them, even the bottom hihat
You got the kit for a grand? It looks like the edges on the bass drum might need redone. The hoop on the floor tom looks dented but for 1k I’d do it

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Listen, kid... I don't know what any of these other guys are telling you, but I'd give you 10-25, maybe even 10-50. Think about it - profit, just like that! It'd be nuts not to, but I understand. Mull it over, I'm sure you'll see I'm really talking sense here.

(That's the later 70's stuff, that's quite a bit darker, innit?)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I paid $1K for my PR set a couple years ago. No extra floor tom or cymbals or hardware, just the drums (12/13/16/22 and a Supra). I think you did pretty well. So many of these sets are so faded that they aren't really PR anymore...more like "Bicentennial Surprise Oyster". Other than the top of the bass drum your new drums don't look too bad. About the same as what I got. I redid mine using a green sharpie. Tedious work but I prefer the look with the green a bit more prominent.