Psychedelic red offer, fair price?

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The messed up parts are on the smaller Tom's. See pics. Lifted edges with corners broken off. Also 12 had crack in middle of wrap. View attachment 519755 View attachment 519756 View attachment 519757 Floor Tom's also lifted but not cracked
That's actually looking easier and easier to walk away from...

Generally, "NO LOW-BALLERZ I KNOW WHAT I HAVE" guys are difficult at best, because they still love the thing and don't actually want to sell. When it's an '83 Cutlass with the passenger door caved in up on blocks, they see the first date with their wife and bringing their kids home from the hospital in it. I see a good front clip and T-tops that have been leaking for a long time.

tunesville

Reaction score
The Dad is wrong, but I understand his emotional attachment in the kit...
I don't understand how a top of the line Ludwig kit gets so beat-up.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dad is wrong, but I understand his emotional attachment in the kit...
I don't understand how a top of the line Ludwig kit gets so beat-up.
If you gigged a lot in the 70's and 80's with no cases or reso heads on your drums like many of us did......they took a good beating...literally and figuratively. I've seen a lot worse.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony and Lane hi from your Boise Idaho neighbor. Agree get back with the gentleman in a few weeks and see if he has softened a bit. Patience is a virtue :) Lane have you sold or had any interest in those pink MIJ Tempro's?
Coy
Hi Coy, good to hear from you. Nope, haven't sold the Tempros yet. re-listed on CL for a lower price. I hope Tony can get the psych red for a reasonable price. lot of work though.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wraps can crack and lift just by sitting near hot radiators in the winter time.....or in attics or out in the hot sun in the summers. Heating and cooling cycles.

Too bad those wraps are messed up. Most of the value is in the floor toms, snare and bass drum though. Still worth WAY more than $1000.

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...those wrap issues are nothing to sneeze at. But Honestly, at $1,400 perhaps both of you could be happy.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I would be thinking closer to $1500 would be an OK deal. Those need a LOT of work but are definitely worth trying to restore. Too bad it didn't work out. Maybe they will come to their senses and come back with a reasonable price.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are sort of off if you think that with that damage those drums are worth 4 figures. I think with cymbals it's a grand, but those wraps are too far gone to have any collector value

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
You guys are sort of off if you think that with that damage those drums are worth 4 figures. I think with cymbals it's a grand, but those wraps are too far gone to have any collector value

I'm not saying I might be able to make those look good again and I would most likely agree with you. I don't know though as I have been watching these guys in Spain called woodpeckers drums and some of the restores they post are pretty incredible. These will definitely never be what they once were but I do feel that somehow this could be salvaged and made to look pretty good. It would take a LOT of work though. I'm not even sure what the original seller is thinking. I have a feeling that they are being blind to the amount of work that is needed to make these good again.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After looking at the photos posted farther down in the thread I tend to agree. While repairable, the wrap issues move from the “shade tree” restorer to the seasoned expert (Jack Lawton, Joe Mekler, etc.) level.