Purecussion Headset NE

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scored one of these unique sets today. 10-12-14-16-20. Being a huge fan of Gauger products, I've always been intrigued by them. I'm truly floored by how great they sound. I've read all the reviews/old posts, with some saying the bass drum is lacking. I didn't come to that conclusion at all. Each drum delivers a pure tone that is a bit quieter than normal drums but every bit as high quality sounding.

I would have passed on them if they'd have been one of the earlier sets with the PTS heads. This NE version tunes up great and any heads can be used. The one I scored today came with Evans G2 tom heads and an EMAD bass drum head. I'm not a huge fan of Evans (prefer the feel of Remo heads) but these are nearly new and sound great. Figure I'll wear them out and then switch to Remo.

Will be using these primarily for rehearsals with multiple bands and occasional gigs where I want a weird/cool factor added in. Doesn't seem like the footprint is much smaller than a regular kit when set up, but they certainly are more portable. The 5 drums nested inside each other are less than a foot tall. I'm guessing I could fit the entire set in a cymbal bag. Don't have any pics of my exact set yet, but here's a pic from the webz.

Purecussion Headset.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice grab! I had the same set for many years and found a lot of uses for them. They really do have an interesting sound and are much fuller than one would think!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Heres mine,R and FD
I have the NE Series as well.
D112 and a powered Subwoofer on the bass, condenser mic overhead.
Ive had these since they came out.
Gary Gs ideas are great!
The inner ring on the bass broke so i took a 20" wood hoop,cut it down,works great!
Imho,they were the best in sound and portability.
Mines been gigged alot over the decades so its not too pretty,but packs a punch!
Great score!
20171111_105110.jpg

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just used mine on a gig this past Friday. They sound amazing with Earthtone heads. I wish I could find replacement bass drum lugs.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the 4 NE toms, and use them mostly on my home practice kit. They do sound great, pure tone with very little resonance. I have black pinstripes on mine.
I look for an NE kick from time to time, but for now I use an old MIJ 20" kick.

Nice Score

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the 4 NE toms, and use them mostly on my home practice kit. They do sound great, pure tone with very little resonance. I have black pinstripes on mine.
I look for an NE kick from time to time, but for now I use an old MIJ 20" kick.

Nice Score
Ive done the same at times.
Ive tried pins but they cut off the resonance ,i use clear single ply heads and an Emad.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For you dudes that have one of these sets, what do y’all tote the drums in? Mine unfortunately didn’t come with a bag or case.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I haven't found them any easier to tote than a regular kit. Tearing them down and then back up is a chore, so I just leave the hardware assembled, take off the drums, and toss them all in the back of my car. I then put all the loose bits in a trap case.

I've found that I don't use them for ease of carrying, I use them if the venue benefits from a quieter kit. For jazz they also record very well.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
By the way, mine has the original single round case that supposedly everything fits in (it's like a large cymbal bag). I honestly couldn't imagine actually using this case. It would weigh a ton, and take forever to set up. It's also just straight canvas, and I can't imagine that it would afford much protection.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, hardbat! The most I’ll ever set up of this is either 12-14-20 or 12-16-20, so I’ll only be using two tom mounts and the bass drum legs at any given time. I’ll be using it with my normal hardware and bag. I just need something to carry the drums themselves.

If you want to let that bag go, let me know.

Cheers,
Ryan

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got the soft sided, zip up case that holds the toms and the bass, and the tom arms and bass drum legs. It's not bad weight-wise, and with a wheeled trap case, I could put the Headset on top laying flat, a snare drum on top of that, and with a backpack-type cymbal bag make it in one trip. There's a local drummer who had an endorsement deal with a major company but used his Headset whenever feasible. He came up with his own slogan - "The farther you carry it, the better it sounds!"
There was method of swiveling everything around so you could load the whole Headset into the bag without taking it apart that Gary personally demonstrated to me, but it only worked if you didn't use the memory locks. I ended up devising a stacking method that worked fine.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ive had the original bag,then i used a cut down fiber case when i used them in Alaska,nowadays its like this,grab the tom arm and go.
12,16,20,one cymbal arm
20190613_150729.jpg

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the cut down fiber case idea. Any other suggestions, since an original bag seems near impossible to find? Maybe a 22” frame drum case? Those are only about 4” deep but I’m really only interested in protecting the 3 drums. I already have a bag the hardware can go in. I’m pretty rough on my gear, and all those little rubber connections on each drum look like things I’d somehow inadvertently damage. Thanks for the suggestions, fellas!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the cut down fiber case idea. Any other suggestions, since an original bag seems near impossible to find? Maybe a 22” frame drum case? Those are only about 4” deep but I’m really only interested in protecting the 3 drums. I already have a bag the hardware can go in. I’m pretty rough on my gear, and all those little rubber connections on each drum look like things I’d somehow inadvertently damage. Thanks for the suggestions, fellas!
The fibre case i used had straps as well.
I may still have it!
Ill look tomorrow.
I had to replace one splitting bass clamp,they were a mix of Garys 2 generations of those bass clamps,i couldnt find just one,so I replaced all 6 of them with his sturdier version.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I broke one of the bass drum "lugs", and have been completely unable to find a replacement. So I just spread the others around to fill in the gap, and am using one less than it is supposed to have. So far it's working, but I imagine that someday I'll break another one, or two, and then I won't know what to do. They're just plastic, and fragile. I have spare tom lugs because I'm not using one of the toms. But the BD lugs, those are rare birds. Even RIMS is out of them (they may still have some tom lugs).

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I broke one of the bass drum "lugs", and have been completely unable to find a replacement. So I just spread the others around to fill in the gap, and am using one less than it is supposed to have. So far it's working, but I imagine that someday I'll break another one, or two, and then I won't know what to do. They're just plastic, and fragile. I have spare tom lugs because I'm not using one of the toms. But the BD lugs, those are rare birds. Even RIMS is out of them (they may still have some tom lugs).
True,i had set a few bass pegs aside and some tom pegs as well,those little aluminum arms can snap off.
The inner aluminum ring broke after so many yrs,it snapped and i fashioned the 20" wood hoop,thats the only way i could use the bass.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hardbat,ive said it here in the past and ill say it again,Gary Gaugers invention of the RIMS mount was one of the biggest innovations in the drumming world!

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After reading through y'all's responses about the weak links, I went through and checked out all the rubber and plastic pieces. Everything seems to look good so I feel very fortunate there. I'd really like to snag some bag or case that kept these things safe. They sound great and I realize how rare they are. I'd like to use them but at the same time don't want to destroy them.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been seeing those for years and have watched videos of pro drummers using them as warmup kits and always wondered how they feel while you play them. They always seemed to me (physically) as something like a more fragile version of roto toms. I'd love to try one out and see what they are really like.

Latest posts