Puresound Snare Wires

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About three years ago I built a 4x13 piccolo snare drum; it's a Keller shell w/45 bearing edges, EGO lugs, Slingerland sitck-saver rims and a DSH strainer.
It was a fun build and I learned a lot during construction and finishing. Heads are a Fiberskyn batter and an Evans hazy snare side. The snare wires are some unamed 20 strand I believe came on sale from one of the internet suppliers. I like the drum, it has great response, a go to snare for jazz guitar trio playing. There has however been something missing, never could put my finger or ear on it. Past week I decided to spend some time with the drum to dial it in; maybe different heads, snare wires or even a die cast rim would improve what was missing? First I tried a coated Ambassador; nice, a bit more focussed but not near as warm or full as the Fiberskyn. Next I thought I'd try a die cast rim; checked the price on one and ouch, a lot to spend not knowing if it would be the answer. So snare wires seemed the next affordable alternative. I'd heard a lot of good things about Puresound wires on this site so picked up a set from Amazon. They didn't have twenty strand so I took a chance on 16 strand. They arrived yesterday; WOW amazing!!! The drum is alive, whatever was missing is now there. Response is better, more nuanced no matter where on the head I play; ghost notes are whispy and brushes sing. I never thought snare wires and/or the number of strands would make such a huge difference in overall sound from a snare drum. Thanks to all of you who have recommended Puresounds; they are everything you've said they are.
Regards
DonS

View attachment 120256 View attachment 120258

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes! I have used the 16 and 14 strand versions with great results. The "Equalizer" model, on some drums, can really bring out the tone in wood drums, especially shorter drums like 5" or less. Well worth the money.

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love PureSound snares, but in some cases, they are a bit too dark. My favorite snares were the old Dynamicx snares, but Eric had to discontinue them. Hey buddy, any chance of reissuing those? They were the closest I found to old Ludwig snares.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been using the Puresound Custom Pro deal with the free Evans Hazy head. I didn't mess with the silly clip sytle straps and used Grossgrain ribbon or string. I installed a set of the steel wires on my Mapex Meridian Maple snare and a set of the brass wires on my Acrolite, The brass wires on the acro really took away some of the dryness and sounds great. I'm planning on oredering a set for my Legacy snare and haven't decided on steel or brass. The factory Ludwig wires seem a bit too long for a drum with re-rings and I haven't been 100% happy with the drum. The Puresound wires are a bit shorter so I feel it's worth a shot.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love PureSound snares, but in some cases, they are a bit too dark. My favorite snares were the old Dynamicx snares, but Eric had to discontinue them. Hey buddy, any chance of reissuing those? They were the closest I found to old Ludwig snares.

I would love to do them again in a variety of sizes but the numbers don't add up. These are the only size made right now.

http://www.drumfoundry.com/c-95-rck-throwoff-butt.aspx

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice build! I love 13" snares and I want a 4x13. I have Puresounds on twenty snares and I love them. I have a 30 strand set on my 1989 Supra and it sounds wicked.

MichaelWray

Reaction score
Based on JRFrond's recommendation, I ordered a couple of the Dynamicx wire sets from
Drum Foundry.

I love PureSounds and find the WM 'German' wires pretty good but the Dynamicx
wires may be my new favorites.

Thanks for the heads up.

MW

ParadigmDrums

Reaction score
+1 on the Dynamicx. My faves for sure. I use Puresounds on some things for that extra crispy sound, but for most things I like the fat, wet sound of the Dynamicx.

While we're on the subject, has anybody used the Fatcat wires that DSH sells? I'm curious about those.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Puresounds are great. I don't put them on all of my snares (too much $$$), but they have been worth it every time I do.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I love PureSound snares, but in some cases, they are a bit too dark.
JR, you have good ears. Puresounds may perform very well in terms of response and sensitivity, but they are not chrome plated like regular snares, so they will not get a bright sound. I wonder why this company is so hung up on non-chrome plated snares?

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Maybe Puresound should try making snares with every other one chrome plated? Hey, did I just invent something? Ace

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interested thread (or wire, as the case may be). I am looking for a little more "spice" from my Acrolite. I mean, it's nice, but any recommendations on what snares might add more dimension to the sound?

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interested thread (or wire, as the case may be). I am looking for a little more "spice" from my Acrolite. I mean, it's nice, but any recommendations on what snares might add more dimension to the sound?
I have been using the Puresound Custom Pro deal with the free Evans Hazy head. I didn't mess with the silly clip sytle straps and used Grossgrain ribbon or string. I installed a set of the steel wires on my Mapex Meridian Maple snare and a set of the brass wires on my Acrolite, The brass wires on the acro really took away some of the dryness and sounds great.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
Taking some wires off my Blacro really opened up the drum & vanquished the "blat" that it used to make. Try taking it down to about 16 & enjoy the sound of the shell!