Puresound wires - I finally get them

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
It only took me about 20 years but I finally understand what puresound wires do for a snare. There are several varieties of puresound wires, but I’m talking about their most standard, 20 strand.

They’re darker but also louder than generic snare wires (like Gibraltar). I knew this all along but where it really showed up is in a simple stereo recording of band practice, on my drumcraft beech snare. The overall sound didn’t thin out like it does ever so slightly more with generic wires. There was greater overalll cut through the band without it being obnoxious. Just louder and actually a little darker.

I know this is probably obvious to many here, and I knew what I was hearing but just now realized what it meant in a band context, which is where most of us playing drums use them.

Just my Xmas .02

Carry on and Merry Christmas to all on DFO! Or Happy Festivus or whatever you celebrate!

Balance

Reaction score
Yup, I love them. When I got my Pearl Modern Utility snare, which is a cheap line of snares, I replaced the stock wires with puresound blasters. Brought it to life and with less snare buzz. My Pig Iron snare even more so (also a cheap snare), it became a completely different snare!

And this:

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yup, I love them. When I got my Pearl Modern Utility snare, which is a cheap line of snares, I replaced the stock wires with puresound blasters. Brought it to life and with less snare buzz. My Pig Iron snare even more so (also a cheap snare), it became a completely different snare!

And this:
Did the same with my Modern Utility, put Blasters on it and....Wowza!

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, been using PureSound for years on my Supra. I just buy the factory replacements; don't even know how many strands there is (LOL) but they work great!!

sherm

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
OK, so I looked at the packaging of Customs and Blasters. They say nothing about the wire material. The video says they come in steel, copper and bronze. So are the steel brighter than what I associate with Puresound? I really liked the sound of the 30 wire set. Ace

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used Puresounds for years on all my metal snares. My ear found them to be too dark/dry on wooden drums.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Snare wires are a funny thing. My favorite snare wires in many cases are Cannon. Go figure.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have Puresound wires on just about all of my snare drums. I love the tone and sensitivity they give out. The DW True Tone wires are nice as well. I tried some "German Snare Wires" from drumfactorydirect and those were nice wires at a really great price.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like a good 'ole steel snappy set of wires, but I find with Puresounds that I can run a looser wire tension and get a cleaner sound from them. The steel ones always have a bad rattle to them with low tension. With the lower tension I usually can get less sympathetic snare buzz which leads to an overall cleaner sound. But the Puresounds just don't give that same bright crack that a set of snappy wires gives.

I really cant recommend one as better than the other, just different. So I have some snares with snappy wires and others with Puresounds in my arsenal.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
See, the guy said, in the video, that they use steel, copper and bronze. Did he mean in the wires? If, so, which on which ones? Ace
P.S. I used to like Dynamix. Stainless steel.

RickTriesToPlayDrums

Reaction score

And this:
No mention of snare bed depth and width in conjunction with number of strands? Please correct me if this isn't an issue. Maybe I missed something in the video.

Last edited:

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
See, the guy said, in the video, that they use steel, copper and bronze. Did he mean in the wires? If, so, which on which ones? Ace
P.S. I used to like Dynamix. Stainless steel.
The end plates of the Dynamicx are stainless but the wires themselves are high carbon steel. A lot of customers say they cut the difference between the super bright generic snappy and the darker sounding puresound.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
No mention of snare bed depth and width in conjunction with number of strands? Please correct me if this isn't an issue. Maybe I missed something in the video.
I went to several clinics at The Percussion Center here in Houston, and every artist used 42
strand wires. I too wondered if the beds were wider for those. I put some 45s on an old Rogers parade drum and they sound fine. Ace

Last edited: