Purple Diamond Pearl Rogers Drum set. What's it worth

Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping to get some information on the drum set I have. I have found out it's Purple Diamond Pearl judging by other pictures I have found on the interwebz. These were passed down from my uncle who has passed away 5 years ago and my father has recently had a stroke. So he's looking to sell things to help cover medical bills. With that being said, neither of us know anything about drums. They have definitely been played and could use a good cleaning. Not sure where to post this since I'm new to this forum. Thanks !

Attachments

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are exquisite! Very nice all 4 drums with the pirate badge , very rare to find that. There’s a lot of hardware and cymbals that would need to be better defined in order to value.
rare color , rare badge complete factory kit.... there’s going to be some very interested drummers here.
I’d make you a good offer right now but I couldn’t afford it!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Technically I believe you have to post at least 5 messages in 5 other topics. Then you are qualified to sell your own items in the FOR SALE forum sections.

Stretch

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
wait till Spring add 15%
Check to see each cymbal says Made in USA Avedis Zildjian
or..Something else - report back)

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please don't "clean" them other than to wipe off the dust on the shells. The next owner may want to see all that grunge and pay for it ....before they themselves clean them up. I'd keep them totally untouched for the next owner, who will no doubt know exactly what to do to bring them back to full glory while preserving every ounce of their heritage. Killer Kit. And the wrap and chrome look very good just as is. Won't take much to "shine" these up.

If just normal 1950's and 1960's Zildjian cymbals that's probably around $250-$350 in cymbals. If there's a rarer cymbal in there like a Zildjian Istanbul K, then multiples of that. The kit hardware is potentially worth $150-200 or so.

That purple finish on the drums is "crazy" cool. Who ordered purple drums in the late 50's to early 60's? Not many compared to the standard white and black diamond pearls or blue/red/silver sparkle finishes. Unmessed with original kits with provenance and in great condition are worth strong premiums. Just a common finish on the shells from that era in average orig condition would be $1000+...condition being everything. You could double or triple the price from fair/altered condition to mint used condition. So it will be worth it to have an expert inspect. Should be plenty of them near you.

You have a late 1950's to early 1960's style Rogers Holiday made in Cleveland, Ohio with the "bread and butter" lugs on the shells. You can easily search Reverb.com and Ebay to see what other kits from that era have been listed for....or even sold at. Google Reverb.com for "Rogers Holiday" and old listings will show up as well. The paper tags on the inside shells give serial numbers which can be used for approximate dating using Rogers sites. Pretty scarce kit with all 4 drums matching. Snares and kicks are probably tough to find. Bread and Butter lugs are known to crack, a common defect and why in the mid-60's the lugs were changed. Still, there are work-arounds. And if none of your lugs show stress cracks down the sides....that's a big plus. No extra holes in your kick drum and tom are also big pluses. Altered drums bring a LOT less than unmessed with originals. Added swivo mounts would be a detraction. The drum sizes look to be 12, 16, 20 inch diameter.

http://drumarchive.com/Rogers/

Drum Archive can dial you in a bit closer if you like to hunt around....and compare hardware, leg mounts, and other items to help date things. I looked from 1957 to 1967 in those cats and didn't find anything with a purple diamond pearl finish....in fact nothing purple at all. But I did run across some original purple diamond pearl drum older Reverb listings....so it was available, yet uncatalogued. Not easy to order this finish when they didn't even show it in the catalog....hence very scarce today.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
http://www.drumforum.org/threads/sold-rogers-purple-diamond-pearl-drum-kit-cleveland-1950s-vintage-bread-butter-1350.111677/

There's a 3 piece PDP kit in decent condition listed here 3-4 years ago...$1350...no snare. And that kit was assembled over at least several years by a member here. In checking some old forum blogs, the purple diamond makes quite a few of the lists for rarest colors in an early Rogers B&B kit. And finding all 4 drums that were born together....that's really tough.

Dan C: Purple Diamond Pearl was a historic curiosity made for only a short time in the late 50's or so. As far as I know, the Purple never appeared in any literature and some speculate that it was a version of BDP. Also not made in a repro...

http://www.drumforum.org/threads/rogers-help-purple-wrap.71918/

The serial number on one the drum you show is similar to these 2 above, also discussed here years ago.

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see someone with a kit that's worth more than they probably could have imagined. Too often it's people with a Ludwig Rocker in two colors thinking they have some rare '60s kit.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now that's a drum set. A fine example of purple diamond pearl!

A dealer would ask $3500 for it. I'd say a private sale with no fees should sell for 2500-3K. It is very rare to find pdp in the first place. To find a 4pc that is matched and the bold purple is tough enough.

Attachments

Last edited: