Put down the drill ...

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
2,216
Reaction score
61
I have been collecting and selling over a decade now, and this kit wins the prize for most extra holes ever...

Bass Drum - count'em 18, not including be 6 extra in the rims
Floor Tom- couldn't figure out how to use the adjustable legs? No problem, let's add some new ones in the middle!
High tom- how many mounts you need? 5? No problem.
Plus 3 the other drums in similar condition...sigh


Snare drum was the only survivor.
 

Attachments

atomicdave

DFO Master
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
5,816
Reaction score
141
Location
Delphi, Indiana
do what you can, within financial reason, to fill and cover em. A tub of wood filler, patch of wrap, and patience can bring forth a noble save on this kit.
 

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
4,730
Reaction score
1,102
Location
Redmond, WA
Well, the little animal kept in the bass drum has gotta breathe, right?
 

retrosonic

DFO Master
Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
648
Location
NYC
Thats literally the worst thing I have ever seen drum wise. Worse is the ripped up ply inside the floor tom.

personally, I wouldnt spend any time or $$ on these. These have had it.
 

troutstudio

Idealist
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
4,200
Reaction score
518
Location
South of the border
Holy cow! Still, I'd be happy to fix those. Fun times in the shed. Once I even used a photo of the wrap, printed onto gloss paper, stuck onto dowel and painted over with epoxy. The bearing edge on that tom is a concern though . . .
 

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
11,601
Reaction score
3,586
Location
Pebble Beach, CA
Man, I want a set of blue onyx Rogers so badly. This is killer and would fit my needs exactly. I love drums like this. I would salvage them and play the Daylights out of them. Lucky you!

And I have seen drums much worse and fixed them to make them look like new, whether extra holes, ply separation, outer finish or damage, or combination thereof, so these issues don't concern me at all!
 

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
1,041
Reaction score
775
Yeah, wow - it looks like they used an ice pick and a hammer! I don't see how that happens with a ordinary drill. Maybe they put all their weight on it?
It actually happen easily with a dull bit and not putting tape on both sides. This is prime example of not doing the prep work and taking the time to properly do it
 

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
1,041
Reaction score
775
The holes on the Tom must of been done before rims mounts were a thing. But easily fixable!!!!
 
Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2009
Messages
2,221
Reaction score
1,744
Location
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
About ten years ago I came across a set of Cleveland Rogers in black diamond pearl for a good price on Craigslist, I drove the forty five minutes to check them out.

The finish was good, but someone had changed the mounts. The seller assured me that there were no extra holes. I picked up one of the mounted toms and looked through the clear resonant head. It didn't have any additional holes. "Okay." I bought the kit, loaded it in my car and headed home. I ordered new heads for the kit when I got home.

The following day I started working on the kit. When I got to the bass drum I found that under the new mount it looked like it had been attacked by a woodpecker. I was sick to my stomach.

I blamed myself for not looking further into the kit before I bought it, I know better. I also knew that I'd never be happy with that kit. And I was not going to misrepresent it to someone else. I needed to have something positive come out of this purchase.

I have a drummer buddy that I've known since my teens. (We'll call him "Rob".) He is a good guy, but he never had a decent kit. At the time of this he had a rough Percussion Plus kit with no name cymbals and junk hardware.

I reassembled the Rogers after cleaning and polishing the chrome. I installed the new heads. I put together a decent set of hardware that I had, cleaned up a Ludwig Acrolite, and a full set of Zildjian A Customs that I wasn't using.

We invited he and his girlfriend to dinner. I had the Rogers kit stacked in the corner of the dining room. Rob drooled all over the kit. At the end of the evening I gave him the kit. He LOVES the kit.

Although the changed mount and extra holes bothered me, he has no issue with it. It was a major upgrade for him. It wasn't the right kit for me, but it was the right kit for him.
 
Last edited:


Top