header.nohb.html

Putting used drum head on a different drum

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
On one of the (many) drum tuning videos I've watched they said that if you take a drum head that's been seated on one drum and put it on another it might not seat properly and therefore sound bad(?). I have a new kit coming soon and instead of buying all new heads I would rather use some of the gently used ones that I have already. There are no dents or anything in them. I guess I could see it being a problem if different manufacturers have variations in the shell size.. but honestly I don't see how it can make that big of a difference. I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have done just that more times than I can count. I am sure there could be some issues, but I have never had any that sounded bad, or didn’t tune fine. I am sure that is subjective though. Don’t tell anyone, I do with snare drums all the time as well.

Omega27

Reaction score
I have done just that more times than I can count. I am sure there could be some issues, but I have never had any that sounded bad, or didn’t tune fine. I am sure that is subjective though. Don’t tell anyone, I do with snare drums all the time as well.
Same here. Unless you've had them on since the 70s/80s, shouldn't be a problem! If anything, they're already broken in! Good luck with the new kit.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve done it a lot with no issues, provided they spin around okay on the shell.

After a time I feel like an old Ambassador sounds a bit more Emperor and an old Emperor sounds a bit more “Shogun”.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I swap heads between drums all the time. Sometimes snare side heads need a little extra tweaking if they come off a drum with deep beds to shallow, but even then by the next day they are fine

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I do it, reasonable often, I do my best to keep the head on a quality and similar bearing edge (Camco/rogers, Ludwig/Slingerland, etc). I avoid placing a high tension head on a low tension drum, like moving snare to tom. Also avoid moving snare reso heads around when possible.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I often do it back-and-forth between
my roto-toms and my acoustic toms,
Whenever I switch from my
Evans red hydros to my Remo Emperors.
The Emperors have a drier sound
and a pronounced tone compared
to my Evans heads.

It's not such a big deal to me.
Yet. lol

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it for a professional reason, but for personal use I doubt you will hear any issue.
It's not the perfect way to rehead a kit, but hard to hear unless under critical analysis.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Going from high to low tension might indeed be the only case where it could be a porblem, especially if the head has been on a drum with a sharp edge with little counter cut. The head will have a sharp edge as well, which might distort the sound at lower tension. Going from a rounded edge to a sharper one might be less of a problem.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured most of us do it . Some heads sound better on different drums , I have a stack of 14's and 16's and every once in a while I'll do a head switch with pleasing results , sometimes they go right back on the shelf till next time .

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with the original premise. A used head on a different drum will not seat as well on the different drum.

A heat gun will help seat a head better on any drum.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe in a pinch , a very lightly used head. Once seated and stretched out game over. As always , Ymmv
In the big picture heads are cheap (Unless your like me and go after vintage nos heads)
6F3A377C-3C79-4FFB-82CB-129BA76FE4DE.jpeg