Very well Known Member
- Nov 29, 2010
- Reaction score
- Seattle, WA
Jackie: I had a 1962 Pearl set. The spurs were lousy and the shell was so thin that it flattened out where the disappearing spurs were. My father helped me put plates behind the spurs, contoured to the shell. Made by a local machinist. When ZI started gigging with my Dad, it became apparent that the tom mount was a problem too. We put a Slingerland rail mount on them. Put a couple of large washers under the mounting screws inside the bass drum. Next, we replaced the spring loaded floor tom legs with Slingerland floor tom legs. But NOT the push button ones... By the time we sold those drums for a better set, they were working and sounding pretty good. Could still be around Indiana somewhere. Sold them in 1966.
Great minds must think alike I did the same thing you mentioned. Sadly enough they started to get soft around those point also and i went to the cradle. No complaints since.