Quality of Recent Mapex Drums

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know that in the 90's they were a lower quality drum company. But from what I have read recently they seem to have lifted their game and make some professional level drums.
I heard some demos on the Black Widow and the drum seems to be very well made and sounds fine.
Does anyone have any opinions on this snare

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the black widow. A friend of mine has Mapex Velvetone kit with snare and it is really nicely made kit and sounds and looks great . The Versatus snares designed by Russ Miller sound great too .

Mapex has been very innovative with their design lab kits and combinations of woods used in their shells, new bearing edge design and that unique magnetic Tom mount . There are lots of things to like Mapex for .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd even move down a few Lines to the Mars in 18 (add a 12) 10, 14 in that driftwood..

Look great fair price what's not to like They are the Kia/Hyundai ...and you know
```````````

Switch the color/finish on the sets/ it's easy to do/ at the website(which someone was complaining about 2 weeks ago) I think the lower Mars line is where it's at..
``````````
nice alternative to one's hi-end set for the not-so-nice gigs.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost bought a Velvetone snare. Nice.

And I was thinking that a bop kit in driftwood laminate would be perfect for all those Napa Valley winery gigs I haven’t been playing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lower line Mars in the Driftwood finish in a jazz config remind me of the Italian Hollywood sets of the early 70s we never saw..
~~
I would stay with the established brands (Gretsch, Ludwig, etc) for a high end snare and or high end set.
but in the lower to mid low market they are attractive. I would skip the hi end.
~~~

That's $549 shipped. Add an 8X12, dbl. tom mount, and maybe a second FT 16X14 (and then it's $700)
And will look like something Elvin Jones used on tour in France in the early 70s.. semi-Exotic.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd even move down a few Lines to the Mars in 18 (add a 12) 10, 14 in that driftwood..

Look great fair price what's not to like They are the Kia/Hyundai ...and you know
```````````

Switch the color/finish on the sets/ it's easy to do/ at the website(which someone was complaining about 2 weeks ago) I think the lower Mars line is where it's at..
``````````
nice alternative to one's hi-end set for the not-so-nice gigs.
Love the Kia/Hyundai comparison.

Come to America, sell just enough mediocre, throw-away cars and eventually you can make some quality stuff. My only problem with that is it will always be a Kia, who will always sell cars from $15K to 80K and your left explaining to friends that "hey, it's the top-of-the-line Kia man!!!" That will be the Mapex problem, it will never shed it's first product reputation fully.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Saturn III kit from 2011 and the fit and finish is excellent. Also have a 2009 BLack Panther Premium Snare (Maple & Cherry) and again the build quality is superb.
Here is an AMAZING video of Lee Pearson on a Saturn III......Listen to that kit!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Saturn III kit from 2011 and the fit and finish is excellent. Also have a 2009 BLack Panther Premium Snare (Maple & Cherry) and again the build quality is superb.
Here is an AMAZING video of Lee Pearson on a Saturn III......Listen to that kit!

Wow! Total badass. Thanks!

Dan

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is one of the most phenomenal drum solos I’ve ever seen.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's damn near a musical instrument!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't turn down a Saturn kit if one came my way.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that Mapex was ever a lower quality drum line; I would say that they started out like most Asian drum companies by making drums that aimed for the entry-level market. Entry-level doesn't have to mean low quality, and the quality of the first Mapex kits was just fine. They've done a great job of building up their lines, and the quality is right up there with pretty much everyone else from what I've seen, and has been for quite a few years.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
doesn't some guy here on the forum have a barn full of this stuff.....................

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love the Kia/Hyundai comparison.

Come to America, sell just enough mediocre, throw-away cars and eventually you can make some quality stuff. My only problem with that is it will always be a Kia, who will always sell cars from $15K to 80K and your left explaining to friends that "hey, it's the top-of-the-line Kia man!!!" That will be the Mapex problem, it will never shed it's first product reputation fully.

Just like Yamaha, Tama and Pearl never did.
Or did they?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the search engine for you and found a good, in-depth thread about recent Mapex drums.

The quality level is very high if judging by their recent snares. I bought a 2020 Black Panther Shadow (walnut/birch) snare awhile ago and it exceeded my expectations.

The notion that they’re associated with marginal, mid-line and lower quality drums is bogus, IMO. I don’t remember a time when that was the case.

Here’s the thread I’m talking about.

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/mapex-high-end-offerings-new-demos.178252/

Last edited: