Quantizing John Bonham

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sending this to every recording engineer I know, immediately. Great demonstration of what snapping to the grid does to a groove.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I gotta hand it to him, usually Beato is such a blowhard but he knocks it right out of the park on this one. Every single smug millennial who insists that we're just "old and angry" over the computerizing of real music, ought to be required to watch this video repeatedly, until it finally sinks in.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's horrible. And yep, it's made modern rock sterile and boring.

Potentially unpopular opinion: Most drummers aren't good enough to play on a record given today's budgets. Even back in the good old days when they could afford to do take after take after take, they'd still sometimes bring in a ringer to play tracks when the band's drummer just couldn't make it happen. Now they can get it close enough, quantize, and replace with samples. I don't know who's more at fault, bands who put out music nobody connects with, or a general public who won't pay for music even if they did connect with it.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So Bonham was really sloppy. :) Funny I don't like a lot of the older rock, because the drum beats fall all over the place. Probably why I liked Neil. He was like a human click track. Some call that stiff. I call it tight. :)

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
So Bonham was really sloppy. :) Funny I don't like a lot of the older rock, because the drum beats fall all over the place. Probably why I liked Neil. He was like a human click track. Some call that stiff. I call it tight. :)
Analog Kid vs. Digital Man vs. New World Man , I prefer analog.. but Copeland and Peart I still like :happy2:

gbow

Reaction score
While I agree with NOT quantizing great drummers... My opinion is that's not what killed rock music.

Opinion - What killed rock music is record companies, promotion companies, radio stations, streaming playlists, music blogs and anyone else involved in the promotion and marketing of music. For some reason, rock music is now considered something that has already been done and is not "new" "fresh" or whatever the latest buzz word those people use.

So much to the point that many rock musicians have turned to country just to make money and get some play. That's also diluted and somewhat ruined true country music due to much of it being rock with a few country twists thrown in to make it fit the genre. Which makes it neither good country music or good rock music. I don't understand why record companies, promoters, etc. still promote and look for new country music, but have totally abandoned rock music?

There is plenty of good rock music being made today, it's just very hard to find and gets no promotion. The last bastion for these artists are music festivals. Of which there are quite a few where I live in the summer time. Filled with great rock, blues, and what some would call "old school" music. Real musicians playing real instruments and doing it with feel and passion.

Are they Led Zeppelin? Well of course not, but they were a once in multiple generations band. Most of the good rock music that was popular in their day also wasn't "Zepp," but much of it was good rock music and was promoted and therefore popular.

Maybe some day rap and hip-hop will take a similar fall and we'll rediscover rock music and it will become popular again. In my mind, rap and hip-hop are simply computer beats with poetry rhythmically overlaid. Nothing wrong with that, but I hope that some day the appreciation for real musicians playing with feel and passion will once again become popular.

gabo

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Every single smug millennial who insists that we're just "old and angry" over the computerizing of real music, ought to be required to watch this video repeatedly, until it finally sinks in.
Yeah, "old and angry." It's bullsh**. I believe music should be generated by human beings, not computers. That has nothing to do with age; it's about art.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you think Rick's a blowhard? I've really enjoyed his videos over the past year.
Rick puts out so much content, you can probably find something that rubs you the wrong way. He's a machine. I don't know how he does it, but I don't have time to watch all the stuff he creates.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I too disagree that quantizing is not behind rock's demise. IMO it had one foot in the grave before quantizing was even a factor.... I have always seen the primary perpetrator as the arrival of music video as popularized by MTV... Taking rock performers off the stage, doing that thing that only so few can do... and sticking them in fields, in bedrooms, in alleys... posing for the camera - WHICH ANYONE CAN DO It simply took the focus OFF the music. Leaving the audience with a focus on the fashion and celebrity aspect... which again, they can get from many sources.

The videos changed the audience... which in response changed the whole focus of the market and the productions....

This added with the 80's (and beyond) corporate takeover of the majors... and well.... the art of making music was just sort of, well, screwed.

And as success has become more fleeting... budgets have dropped... and "artistic excesses" are harder to afford... everything became safer... Instead of a demo inspiring a production... things are demo'd and demo'd until the final demo becomes the template for the master... This over-riding fear of failing makes safety the order of the day... tons of time and money spent getting a track "right", "perfect" - leaving less emphasis on purposefully trying to capture magic.... I mean nothing but fear explains this drive to make records that are perfectly in tune and perfectly in time.... when there is absolutely ZERO evidence that audiences care about that or are effected by those things one iota.

Anyway - for me, what Rick's talking about is for a symptom, not the disease itself.

As for Rick Beato being a blowhard....

Oh my - all I can say, if collecting up mountains of chops, knowledge, skills, talent and experience and being willing (and able) to share all of them so freely and openly and effectively makes one a blowhard, then may the world be blessed with as many such blowhards as the universe can muster up. But I get it - being confronted by someone who really really really knows their stuff that speaks their mind can be intimidating... Granted I don't agree with every conclusion that Rick has made, but a blowhard??? Sorry...

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gotta hand it to him, usually Beato is such a blowhard but he knocks it right out of the park on this one. Every single smug millennial who insists that we're just "old and angry" over the computerizing of real music, ought to be required to watch this video repeatedly, until it finally sinks in.

I am not a millennial (by a long shot) but my main complaint with "old and angry" people is that they are so blinded by their belief about things being better in the past, that they do not allow themselves to see anything positive happening today. And no, Rival Sons don't count. Sorry, I had to throw that in there, just to be snarky. :)

Was there good music in the past? Yes. Was there also complete crap in the past? Yes. Is there good music being made today? Yes. Is there complete crap being made today? Yes.

Now, I'll grant you this, mainstream radio doesn't play a diverse cross-section of music. So, if you are basing your understanding of music on pop radio, I can see how you would be distraught. But.... there are a ton more avenues available to people to connect with music than in the past. There are still a ton of bands/musicians out there releasing good, "human" music.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
As for Rick Beato being a blowhard....

Oh my - all I can say, if collecting up mountains of chops, knowledge, skills, talent and experience and being willing (and able) to share all of them so freely and openly and effectively makes one a blowhard, then may the world be blessed with as many such blowhards as the universe can muster up. But I get it - being confronted by someone who really really really knows their stuff that speaks their mind can be intimidating... Granted I don't agree with every conclusion that Rick has made, but a blowhard??? Sorry...
As a drummer, I don't expect much from Rick except for him pulling a tasty iso drum track on one of his "What makes this song great" episodes. Now, when I watch Rick through my novice guitar player eyes... I'm impressed. If I could name a drummer equivalent to Rick as a guitar player...I think Steve Smith. Rick knows music theory inside and out and he can play nearly every guitar solo on the great rock tracks he features in his videos, originally recorded by guys like Steve Lukather and Eddie Van Halen. I read somewhere that Rick could quote Joe Pass guitar parts by ear as a high school aged kid. He's quite accomplished in that regard.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Rick Beato....

I can understand disagreeing with him; that is natural and certainly even Rick would be fine with that.

What I don't understand is why he gets some pretty harsh kick back that goes beyond just disagreeing, and into insulting.

I have watched a fair amount of his stuff (all voluntary btw, no one forces me to watch lol), and he has never come across like a jerk or even arrogant. He presents an opinion, welcomes comments and moves on to his next video project. Certainly his resume' blows mine away so I listen from that perspective. But he honestly seems like a nice guy to me, and has a sense of humor befitting his inside experience.

Maybe someone could post or share something (besides his use of 'click-bait' titles lol) he has done that would correct or challenge my view?

Johnny K

Reaction score
Now, when I watch Rick through my novice guitar player eyes... I'm impressed.
Im not a novice gutiar player and I agree the guy knows his stuff. so much so I shelled out the 50 bucks for his Beato Book and spent the hour to print out 250 pages, double sided, punch the holes and bind it. It is a darn good resource.

Latest posts