Quantizing John Bonham

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I gotta hand it to him, usually Beato is such a blowhard but he knocks it right out of the park on this one. Every single smug millennial who insists that we're just "old and angry" over the computerizing of real music, ought to be required to watch this video repeatedly, until it finally sinks in.
Rick Beato a blowhard? He doesn't boast at all. 'smug millennial' ? That does sound angry.
Millennials are a product of their time, just like older folks. They are being served a bunch of computer garbage. But many millennials who do play instruments actually appreciate music from the 70's that was more free form, had instrumentation and is not tied to a grid. As a small quick sample, look on countless YouTube comments below some 60's or 70's tune where a young person states "i'm born in 1992 and love this 70s' music'. (though I doubt any of this will change some prevailing views of them on here). I know its hard to believe, but there are millennial musicians out there, playing jazz, rock, prog etc...not just listening to Mariah Carey.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try doing this on Earth Wind and Fire’s “After the love is gone.”

See how it lands at the end. Yet, it was a major success without a click....

cozy4ever

Reaction score
Man, I'm right on my game here, managed to upset the delicate feelings of both millennials AND Rick Beato's fanboys, lol.

I think a few of you missed my point by a light year here-- I said that music was better before the so called "digital revolution" wrecked it (as demonstrated in the video), I didn't say that no musician under 40 has any ability. Jerk those knees all you want, but at least make sure you get what I actually said in the first place.

As to Rick Beato just comb through some of his older stuff and listen to him drone on and on and on complaining about "the industry", dropping all kinds of names left and right, bragging about his academic connections and complaining away about how there will never be another tragic misunderstood angsty genius like Cobain. Read through the comments and watch him get so personally offended at any critical opinion that he actually resorts to flame wars and petty insults at complete strangers (some of them literal kids no less) if they question his pet opinions on anything. LMAO at the post above that said I was "intimidated" by the likes of that clown. Please. He's every burnout muso stereotype ever, topped off with a side of Eddie Trunk for good measure. All he needs is a beret and some Doc Martens on his feet. I must be intimidated at how unintentionally hilarious he is, because laughing this hard is a challenging ab workout.

That said however this video of his was right on. Even a stopped clock tells the time twice a day and all that.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Millennials are a product of their time, just like older folks. They are being served a bunch of computer garbage. But many millennials who do play instruments actually appreciate music from the 70's that was more free form, had instrumentation and is not tied to a grid. As a small quick sample, look on countless YouTube comments below some 60's or 70's tune where a young person states "i'm born in 1992 and love this 70s' music'. (though I doubt any of this will change some prevailing views of them on here). I know its hard to believe, but there are millennial musicians out there, playing jazz, rock, prog etc...not just listening to Mariah Carey.
Absolutely. I've spent the past year or so listening to satellite radio whenever I'm in the car, most often to Little Steven's Underground Garage. I am heartened to find that there are lots of good young R&R bands out there. Granted, if I didn't have the satellite subscription, many would have flown under my radar, but they do still exist, and several are damned good. True, the big money has moved elsewhere within the industry, but I get the impression that these <dating myself here> young upstarts are doing it for the passion of the music, not a payday. I love that.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So Bonham was really sloppy. :) Funny I don't like a lot of the older rock, because the drum beats fall all over the place. Probably why I liked Neil. He was like a human click track. Some call that stiff. I call it tight. :)
Live he wasn’t. There was a lot of push and pull on the live stuff. He did play to a click or a version of a click on most of their records. Peart I’m talking about.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, I'm right on my game here, managed to upset the delicate feelings of both millennials AND Rick Beato's fanboys, lol.

I think a few of you missed my point by a light year here-- I said that music was better before the so called "digital revolution" wrecked it (as demonstrated in the video), I didn't say that no musician under 40 has any ability. Jerk those knees all you want, but at least make sure you get what I actually said in the first place.

As to Rick Beato just comb through some of his older stuff and listen to him drone on and on and on complaining about "the industry", dropping all kinds of names left and right, bragging about his academic connections and complaining away about how there will never be another tragic misunderstood angsty genius like Cobain. Read through the comments and watch him get so personally offended at any critical opinion that he actually resorts to flame wars and petty insults at complete strangers (some of them literal kids no less) if they question his pet opinions on anything. LMAO at the post above that said I was "intimidated" by the likes of that clown. Please. He's every burnout muso stereotype ever, topped off with a side of Eddie Trunk for good measure. All he needs is a beret and some Doc Martens on his feet. I must be intimidated at how unintentionally hilarious he is, because laughing this hard is a challenging ab workout.

That said however this video of his was right on. Even a stopped clock tells the time twice a day and all that.
Sorry Mister!

I'll never cut across your lawn again, I promise! Please don't tell my mom and dad on me....!

Love your passion dude!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No need to imagine. Already been done. Baba ORiley
Big irony is the person most people see as drumming with the most reckless abandon to be one of the first tied to a click or sequencer. ....in 1970 no less.
And Won't Get Fooled Again, Relay, Join Together, Who Are you....

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Theme For An Imaginary Culture:

Hey, hey we're the Quantizers,
People say we Quantize around,
We're too busy Quantizing,
To put any Quantize down...

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Perhaps some are missing the quantize-is-evil point. Yes, Moonie played well to a click, but his groove breathed within the bar (as did Bonham's), even within one beat. Many drummer can play to a click all day long and still make it human. Think Keltner, or Jordan -- great session players who almost always play to a click, yet their grooves are spectacular.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Perhaps some are missing the quantize-is-evil point. Yes, Moonie played well to a click, but his groove breathed within the bar (as did Bonham's), even within one beat.
Ya, you have a great point there.

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
Perhaps some are missing the quantize-is-evil point. Yes, Moonie played well to a click, but his groove breathed within the bar (as did Bonham's), even within one beat. Many drummer can play to a click all day long and still make it human. Think Keltner, or Jordan -- great session players who almost always play to a click, yet their grooves are spectacular.

If that's the case, perhaps you should not have said, "smug millennials" in the first place?

I don't have a dog in the race, so it doesn't bother me. I just was trying to explain that the digital revolution didn't all of the sudden usher in crappy songs/musicians.

The problem, as I see it, is that labels stopped trying to cultivate and grow talent. They wanted an immediate hit. With that, the producers/labels pushed through things as quickly as possible. It is definitely quicker to grid the hell out of everything than to work at getting a good "feeling" take. However, over the past 10 years or so, there has definitely been a push toward more organic music. Now this may not be heard on Top 40, but it is definitely out there. On the flip side, not everything in the 60s and 70s had great feeling or grooved. There are ton of examples of stiff, crappy feeling songs.

jazzerone

Reaction score
A lot of the "why is music dead" discussion could be clarified by simply distinguishing between "music" and "musical product"... the former being what we (mostly) try to put out there, the latter being what we are sold. It's like the difference between "cheese" (100% real cheese!) and "cheese product" (contains artificial flavorings and color).

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those damn kids and their trap sets! Orchestras used to play real music before this newfangled technology came along. Next thing you know the buggers'll be amplifying stringed instruments! & recording onto cylinders!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Honestly I think a large part of the buying population doesn't give a crap where their music comes from. Don't get me wrong though. There are fortunately a lot of people that like a real live band or a good song that was played from the heart. Part of the problem is that so much technology comes in to play in today's music that the average listener has no idea what's being done to make an artist sound good. My stepson is 19 and barely has a musical bone in his body. I have taught him a few beats before but he really has no interest. The music he listens to is also mostly (c)rap or some kind of pop thing that has been chopped to pieces in a studio. He doesn't care one bit as long as he likes the lyrics.

My wife, stepson and I saw Ringo a few summers ago and during Rosana, Steve Lukather totally ripped up the solo at the end. I got so lost in what he was doing until my wife leaned in and asked if the band was still playing the same song! Talk about being slammed down from where I was. I just have to realize how a lot of people view music. Me on the other hand has always been totally consumed with music and the power it has on me.

Latest posts