Quarantine Exercise: How to Speed Up an Slow Down while Playing with a Click. (video)

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait!...I thought you get fired for that!? You DO get fired for that, but no one's hiring now.
During this lock down I stumbled on this exercise where the 2&4 stay with the a click while everything else intentionally speeds up or slows down creating a rushed or dragging effect. Kind of weird.
Comments welcome.

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nobody...really? Ok correct answer gets a limited edition Trump snare drum head.

Rallaei

Reaction score
isn't it 'just' 8ths, quadruples, triplets, septuplets and double time and then back down. in a grouping of 3 16th?

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good guess and thanks for your answer, but that's not it exactly. Btw by quadruplets do you mean 16th notes?

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before I explain the exercise would anyone else like to quess what's going on?

Rallaei

Reaction score
Good guess and thanks for your answer, but that's not it exactly. Btw by quadruplets do you mean 16th notes?
By quadruplets I meant '4 over 3', but I change my answer to the accents (hihat lift) being in 4, 5, 6, 7 an 8 over 4.. And the acc being the last note of a 3 note pattern. Makes sense?

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Rallaei. Thanks for your answer.

Your'e right, there's no 4 over 3 going on. The speed does increase by 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 notes (hence the name) and back down but each time over 8 beats or two bars. Each section is played for 8 bars. The snare plays on beat 3 with the click regardless of the modulation speed while the hat stays in the 4/4 pattern, even through the odd numbered groupings.

You hear the open hats sounds 4 times in 2 bars, (4 over 2) to begin, then in the next modulation it's 5 times in 2 bars (5 over 2) the next, 6 over 2 bars then 7 over 2 and finally a double time of 8 over 2 bars.

The odd numbers of 5 and 7 you can hear the open hat sound starting on the first beat but getting displaced on the second bar to the off beats. I attached the hat part written out.

Hope that's clear. It's actually easier to play that explain in writing. Comments welcome.

Modulation Exercise.jpg

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Hey Rallaei. Thanks for your answer.

Your'e right, there's no 4 over 3 going on. The speed does increase by 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 notes (hence the name) and back down but each time over 8 beats or two bars. Each section is played for 8 bars. The snare plays on beat 3 with the click regardless of the modulation speed while the hat stays in the 4/4 pattern, even through the odd numbered groupings.

You hear the open hats sounds 4 times in 2 bars, (4 over 2) to begin, then in the next modulation it's 5 times in 2 bars (5 over 2) the next, 6 over 2 bars then 7 over 2 and finally a double time of 8 over 2 bars.

The odd numbers of 5 and 7 you can hear the open hat sound starting on the first beat but getting displaced on the second bar to the off beats. I attached the hat part written out.

Hope that's clear. It's actually easier to play that explain in writing. Comments welcome.

View attachment 447358
Thanks! I think.