Question about audio interface

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just upgraded my macBook pro situation from a 2012 to a brand new one. I'm using it mostly for home recording as I am slowly getting more and more into that. My old computer was FireWire and I was using a Presonus Firestudio with eight channels to record my drums. I am also running Logic and honestly my old set up seemed to work pretty good for me. It really wasn't until I made the foolish mistake of upgrading my old computer to the current operating system that it started to fail. I'm sure I could have restored i to an earlier time but knowing that I want to continue on recording, I went with a new Mac.

Of course this new mac uses Thunderbolt and even with a conversion cable, my presonus Firestudio will not work anymore. sadly I will need to get something else and am wondering what everyone uses. I looked at the current presonus versions and they run around $700... ouch... I get it and am honestly not surprised that I need MORE stuff. I was just wondering if anyone uses anything cheaper that performs just as well. I still have a presonus audiobox that works so I can record Piano and stuff like that. I can only get two tracks of drums though which is not ideal.

Thanks for any insights and help.

Kurt

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just upgraded my macBook pro situation from a 2012 to a brand new one. I'm using it mostly for home recording as I am slowly getting more and more into that. My old computer was FireWire and I was using a Presonus Firestudio with eight channels to record my drums. I am also running Logic and honestly my old set up seemed to work pretty good for me. It really wasn't until I made the foolish mistake of upgrading my old computer to the current operating system that it started to fail. I'm sure I could have restored i to an earlier time but knowing that I want to continue on recording, I went with a new Mac.

Of course this new mac uses Thunderbolt and even with a conversion cable, my presonus Firestudio will not work anymore. sadly I will need to get something else and am wondering what everyone uses. I looked at the current presonus versions and they run around $700... ouch... I get it and am honestly not surprised that I need MORE stuff. I was just wondering if anyone uses anything cheaper that performs just as well. I still have a presonus audiobox that works so I can record Piano and stuff like that. I can only get two tracks of drums though which is not ideal.

Thanks for any insights and help.

Kurt

I'd recommend either of these for a first interface for drums:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - $550
Presonus Studio 1824c - $550

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I will look into these.
No problem! The nice thing with these two is that you can continue to use them as ADAT preamps if/when you choose to expand your setup.

I started with a Scarlett 18i20, and when I upgraded my system, I was able to continue to use the Scarlett as additional preamps. I'm now running 28 channels, 8 of which are coming from that first original 18i20.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
No problem! The nice thing with these two is that you can continue to use them as ADAT preamps if/when you choose to expand your setup.

I started with a Scarlett 18i20, and when I upgraded my system, I was able to continue to use the Scarlett as additional preamps. I'm now running 28 channels, 8 of which are coming from that first original 18i20.

Vey cool. Thanks for the info.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I use the Scarlett 18i20 as well. Very happy with it, good bang for the buck. I also run a pre amp via ADAT into it for 8 additional channels.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Another +1 for the 18i20. I upgraded last year for the same reason. My old interface was not supported for the latest OS. The Focusrite has been very good.

I would ask though... doesn't your new Mac have USB port? I'm no expert on what is compatible with what but could that be an option? Firewire to USB? I suppose your new Mac has the most current OS so maybe the question is moot.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Are you sure your Presonus doesn’t work?

My two Firestudio Tube interfaces do, even under the latest OS update. And this on a 2013 Mac:

5D9D2162-FE94-4DAA-82F4-118B867F3AF8.jpeg

I use this official Apple adapter with a Belkin firewire cable:
1647931435774.png

It didn’t work for about two years and then suddenly it did, and has been working flawless ever since.

I now have a 2018 Mac Mini which doesn’t have Thunderbolt unfortunately so I need to get a new interface.

Which is a shame as the Presonus is the only 1U interface to date with 10! Preamps and a stellar clean preamp sound.

The interface I came up with after a long period of comparrison, is the Steinberg UR816C

It has DSP effects which take load of the Mac can work as a stand alone mixer too, has ADAT to expand the Preamps, has two headphone outputs and can be controlled by the iOS app too.

1647931460623.jpeg

I also looked into the Presonus 1824C:

1647931543767.jpeg

But this doesn’t have the DSP option l, and I feel the Steinberg is overall a tad better.

My other option would be to check if I the teo adapter option would work, but I don’t think I would like that.

Last edited: