Question about lug height and tension rod splay

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Mods, move this to the builder's forum if it doesn't belong here.

Hey all,

I recently acquired a Luka snare drum as I've always been intrigued by them. It doesn't have the typical Luke hardware on it so I thought it was a very early model from him before he started to make his own hardware. Turns out it was a shell he sold un-drilled for hardware and the original owner fitted it with lugs of his choice. I believe they are Pearl tube lugs. It also has the old plastic Nickleworks snare throw. It seems to work ok, but the snare tension backs out way too fast. I'll exchange that with a Trick throw.

If you are familiar with his construction, you know his drums are hollowed out logs. Some of his shells are incredibly thick, but this one is fairly normal in thickness and the re-rings are simple where he left the shell a bit thicker. I was a little worried that this shell might have gone out of round over the years, but it's perfectly in-round and sounds incredible! The only OCD issue I have with it is because the shell is slightly undersized (it measures 13-3/4" consistently) the lugs have some splay to them.

I could:
A. leave everything as-is and live with the splay
B. Get thicker gaskets, but not sure I will like the look of those either
C. Are there taller tube lugs available that anyone might know of? I highly doubt it. Most lugs are designed for a shell that's right at 14" in diameter.

I will say that the lugs pivot so there is zero binding or difficulty screwing in the tension rods. I wish I could say the same thing about my Craviotto drums. There is no real need to add gasket thickness or change out the lugs. Just my OCD, lol.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the lug mount screw distance? I don't see splay and normally have only seen it on 6.5 Ludwigs, not the 5" drums.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
What is the lug mount screw distance? I don't see splay and normally have only seen it on 6.5 Ludwigs, not the 5" drums.
Not sure on screw distance. From lug to rim? I should've taken a better closeup of the splay. From end of lug to the lug 'shoulder', it splays out about 4-5mm. It's more noticeable because it's a 5" drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can measure some tube lugs for height (from shell to rod insertion point) to see if that would help. I was initially asking what distance the mounting screws are apart because I'm sure DFD has different kinds if necessary....

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont think anyone makes 2 sided tube lugs in bass drum depth that will have the correct hole spacing. In that case you will have to build up washers under the lugs. You may be able to find some plastic washers at the hardware store that could work, or if you know anyone with a 3D modeling machine they could make you some plastic washers to the height you need.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man, those are Ego lugs! I haven't seen those in forever.

I would just add another gasket, or even a chromed washer.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m working on a snare build myself. Had these lugs from a 15” acrylic drum. Fattest tube lugs I’ve ever seen. The drum had no badge. Finally got a shell to put them on. And of course I was 4 short. Found two like them and ordered them. Still need to more.

Attachments

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't know hoops varied in size. I thought they were all pretty much standard. Are all Ludwig 2.3 hoops slightly oversized?
Most hoops are manufactured in Asia these days, and aren't brand-specific. The "ears" for the t-rods do seem to extend further outside on some, see older threads on thise topic.

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score

Hey all,

I recently acquired a Luka snare drum as I've always been intrigued by them. It doesn't have the typical Luke hardware on it so I thought it was a very early model from him before he started to make his own hardware. Turns out it was a shell he sold un-drilled for hardware and the original owner fitted it with lugs of his choice. I believe they are Pearl tube lugs. It also has the old plastic Nickleworks snare throw. It seems to work ok, but the snare tension backs out way too fast. I'll exchange that with a Trick throw.

If you are familiar with his construction, you know his drums are hollowed out logs. Some of his shells are incredibly thick, but this one is fairly normal in thickness and the re-rings are simple where he left the shell a bit thicker. I was a little worried that this shell might have gone out of round over the years, but it's perfectly in-round and sounds incredible! The only OCD issue I have with it is because the shell is slightly undersized (it measures 13-3/4" consistently) the lugs have some splay to them.

I could:
C. Are there taller tube lugs available that anyone might know of? I highly doubt it. Most lugs are designed for a shell that's right at 14" in diameter.

I will say that the lugs pivot so there is zero binding or difficulty screwing in the tension rods. I wish I could say the same thing about my Craviotto drums. There is no real need to add gasket thickness or change out the lugs. Just my OCD, lol.

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score

Hey all,

I could:

In the words of my Mentor, the Late-Great Dennis Stauffer...a Drum is nothing but a Tube with Metal and Plastic screwed to it...keep it simple Stupid (LOL! You had to Know Dennis)! As long as it's in round, just make sure you've got a straight drop from your Hoops down to your Lugs connection. The cool thing about having a smaller diameter shell is that much like the Sonor Sonics and Premier Signa's (and many others), the normal size head achieves a Tympanic Degree of Resonance. It does this by having a large amount of the excess drum head resonating between the Shell Overlap & Interior Hoop. All you have to do to take advantage of this, is measure the Offsets between the hoops and the Lugs!

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW, all shells are undersized. No manufacturer has shells that measure exactly the dimensions - most manufacturers go 1/8” undersized, but some (Sonor and older Premier especially) are closer to 1/4”.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
13 7/8" is the nominal diameter for all modern drums, and as such the lugs are made for that. I know from experience that hoops are not all the same when it comes to how far out the holes are from the surface of the shell. That said, if the drum tunes up ok and the rods don't bind, I'd just leave it alone and enjoy the drum.

jeffh

Reaction score
If the shell diameter is 13-3/4", you only need to add 1/8" to reach a standard diameter. So you could add 1/16" to the gasket height by either using thicker gaskets or adding an additional 1/16" gasket. A i/16" increase on each side means an overall 1/8" increase. I don't know that the difference in appearance would bother you in the long run -- you'd have to look carefully to see it.

The advantage in having the lugs at the right height is that there would be no stress outward on the shell -- could even increase your resonance a smidge.

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score
WOW! Rob, you've struck Gold here...it's rare that a Forum Thread attracts so many with the collective knowledge as this one! You've got a lot of guys here who know their stuff...that's not a common occurrence on most Forums, of course this is not a typical Forum. Much like "Ghostnote" before it (RIP-Okay guys...that was a great Pun!...hello <tap-tap-tap> is this thing on?...Get It? "Ghostnote-RIP"?...mess...)...ANYWAY...Ghostnote was where the Best of the Best were members, it was a builders site & I believe many if not all of these guys were members...so Listen when they talk! (some have a LOT OF MONEY!...LOL! Kidding...they're Phucking Drummers, none of them have any Money!)

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score
While I've got a captive audience, I'm gonna Whip 'dis out...(chuckle) it's my new "OLD" Sonor Phonic 1975 Phonic 8-Piece Anniversary Kit in Real Brazilian Rosewood! One Owner...never left his house, never gigged, no rust...it's the whole 9 yards, Pedals, Stands...but the bad part... it wasn't cheap, not even a little bit, but the Kit is like NEW!

Here's a Pick of it and my 18" Sound Creation in the Background

Attachments