question about Rogers snares

Base

Reaction score
Hello all,

I´m about to buy a Rogers Luxor snare that goes with my Holiday kit (red sparkle). I´m allready pretty aware of what it is and what the differences are to the Powerones and Dynas. but I have one specific question for you knowledgeable guys: It is outfitted with a Swivo strainer instead of the original one. Will, and if so how much, this alter the way it sounds? (compared to the sound of one with the original hardware on it)

thanks for your input!

Iristone

Reaction score
Probably not - unless you're the sort of person that hears the difference between B&B and Beavertail lugs. I've changed strainers on a vintage Gretsch and an earlier modern Ludwig Legacy (the P-85 broke for some reason). All perceiveable tone change is due to better tensioning of the snare wire of the new strainers. :thumbup:

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Swivo strainer shouldn’t make any difference in the sound, especially if the drum is a beavertail Luxor (which is not mentioned). If a beavertail drum, the original strainer would have been the Sta-Tite which is very similar to the Swivo and uses the same holes. Anyway you look at it, the beavertail Luxor is capable of being a great playing drum.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bet you cannot tell the difference without an oscilloscope.

And never in a band setting.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
As a caretaker of multiple Powertones and Luxors in all combinations of COB, 3 ply and 5 ply wood, 5" and 6.5" configurations, I agree with these posts. The throwoff makes zero difference; each are bulletproof, and they have the same hole patterns. Make your choice, or find a Rogers replacement that suits you.

Rock on!

Latest posts