question about small and large "A" Zildjian logos

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing 2 different logos on some used A Zildjian cymbals.
Some have a small "A" next to the model, then say "Avedis Zildjian" in the lower half of the cymbal top.
Other have a large "A" with the model under it, then say just "Zildjian" in the lower half of the cymbal top.
I'm assuming these are two different eras of cymbals?
Is one preferred over the other?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I presume you are describing the pre 2013 ink style versus the large A style after the redesign. All of this (and more) is detailed on my site. I've documented them back to the 1960s, and ink goes even further back to the 1930s. There weren't Zildjian logos until 1978, but there was model and weight class ink.

The Avedis went on in 1992 (slightly before laser serial numbers started)

../cym2014/Avedis-joins-Z.jpg

The cursive A went on about 1996, but there are a few different ink stages before then.

Cursive A

The redesign in 2013 looks like this

2013 Reworked A Series

Here is a link to all the specific model changes in the redesign plus a video of Paul Francis introducing them.

Different drummers prefer cymbals with different specs, but at least knowing what changed will help you understand the context when people comment about liking one or the other. I've heard plenty of drummers rave about the redesigned ones, but I don't have any of them to compare for myself. Mine tend to be a bit older.

Last edited:

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. That's what I'm looking for.
Thanks.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a set of the redesigned post 2013 "big A" style and really like them....standard A391 pack of 14 new beats, 16 and 18 med thin crashes, and 21 med thin sweet ride that is very crashable. I compared the bigger sizes against my 60's, 70's, and 80's Zildjians in the same sizes/weights. I was surprised at how close they sounded. The redesigns to me have some of that 60's vibe in them.

Latest posts